News Pokémon Changing How Reprints Are Printed, Likely No 'Best of XY' Set

this sounds ridiculous. if they have 'new art', then they are not 'reprints', they are promos, its how its normally been done, you cant just throw some promos into a set that is already complete and out of standard... but yet they are doing it... im not even a player, and this process, making the lucario spirit link, useless, just adds to my opinion.
I know right! It drives me crazy. I thought for sure that Trainer's Mail was gonna stay in standard one more year. :(

Unfortunately, no. But that means that there are gonna be new strategies that we have to come up with over and over again! Doesn't that sound more fun than having the same cards in standard forever?
I just saw the new update and Trainer's Mail, Lysandre, VS Seeker, and possible Professor Sycamore are going out of standard this rotation. They'd better get something just as good as those in Burning Shadows.

Last edited by a moderator:
For collection purposes, I'll probably file these alternate art cards next to the counterparts that they are numbered after (such as Alternate art Professor Sycamore next to Sycamore from BreakPoint and Alternate art Zygarde-EX next to Zygarde-EX from Fates Collide). It seems the best way to organize them as they are intended as alternate art versions of those cards but that's just my opinion.

I guess I'll fit them in my alternate print section, but with the abc nummering it is kind of a new number. It drives me crazy. Will I ever feel satisfied with this strange choice and where I put these cards?

I just saw the new update and Trainer's Mail, Lysandre, VS Seeker, and possible Professor Sycamore are going out of standard this rotation. They'd better get something just as good as those in Burning Shadows.

Where did you see this a possibility for what is in rotation?

Professor Sycamore won't rotate this season, it was printed in Steam Siege. Trainers' Mail and Lysandre are most likely rotating unless they get reprinted in SM3

I wonder if this means we'll see new art for old staples like Juniper & Colress, as well as stuff like Mewtwo-EX (lets face it the B&W EXs often looked worse than the later XY ones)

I wonder if this means we'll see new art for old staples like Juniper & Colress, as well as stuff like Mewtwo-EX (lets face it the B&W EXs often looked worse than the later XY ones)

Maybe Colress, the others don't have any real relevance right now.
Though I'm sure we can expect a MewtwoGX eventually~

Where did you see this a possibility for what is in rotation?
There has been a lot of news about the standard rotation in August. Everything from Primal Clash to either Breakthrough or Breakpoint is going out of Standard this August, and since these cards are reprints instead of promos, it means that they won't stay in Standard for much longer. There are a few videos and stuff on Youtube if you want to check them out. Pokemon usually rotates 3-4 sets out of standard each year, and Primal Clash - Breakthrough/Breakpoint are on the line.

Professor Sycamore won't rotate this season, it was printed in Steam Siege. Trainers' Mail and Lysandre are most likely rotating unless they get reprinted in SM3
Oh yeah! I forgot about that Full Art Sycamore. I'm glad to hear that it's guaranteed to stay in Standard one more year. It's just such a good card.

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of news about the standard rotation in August. Everything from Primal Clash to either Breakthrough or Breakpoint is going out of Standard this August, and since these cards are reprints instead of promos, it means that they won't stay in Standard for much longer.

I believe, going based off of last rotation, that it will be up to BREAKpoint.
To clarify, I mean, all the sets up to BREAKpoint will be dropped, but BREAKpoint will stay.

I've made this assumption on the grounds that:
Everything up to Primal Clash was dropped this season.
  • Primal Clash was released February 04, 2015
  • BREAKpoint was released February 03, 2016

So, going based off of dates, it makes the most sense.

These are basically promo cards in all but name, right? How do we know this is how they'll treat actual reprints in actual sets too?
See, I've been wondering about that too. It wouldn't make much sense for cards in the same pack to be numbered X/Y, Y/Y, and then Xa/Z for a reprint.

This is stupid. You have to go out and get the decks that cost $10 more than usual to get the trainer's mail that will stay standard while the one people already have 400 copies are buried in the dirt:mad:

This is stupid. You have to go out and get the decks that cost $10 more than usual to get the trainer's mail that will stay standard while the one people already have 400 copies are buried in the dirt:mad:

First of all, that's not how reprints work.
You can use any version of a card, as long as there is a legal version currently in that format, and they share the same (or very similar) rules text.
ex. You can use Base Set Switch, because Switch is still a standard legal card.

Second of all, this is not a Black Star Promo... it is an Alternative Artwork for the original card.
Meaning, neither will be standard legal when it rotates out.

Last edited:
Im a collector not player so for me I like this new numbering system and the cool new arts we'll see :)

Back