PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2015 - I Choose You! — Results!

RE: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: March 2015 - I Choose You!

So, I decided I wanted to use a Pokemon from one of my playthroughs. I decided to flip a coin. If heads, I'd use Beedrill, one of the Pokemon from my X nuzlocke (which I posted here) or CarChomp, my starter from my White 2 randomizer nuzlocke. I ended up getting CarChomp. I decided to use my recolor of him (more coming soon!) as well.

Promo said:
[Stage 2] Garchomp HP 130 [N]
Evolves from Gabite
3209_orig.gif

[W][C] Taunting Smirk 10
During your next turn, you may play 2 supporter cards.

[W][F][C] Outrage 100
You may discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you don't, this Pokémon is now confused.

Weakness: [N] x2
Resistance:
Retreat: [C]
Scientists have named these odd colored Pokémon "Shiny Pokémon". There is a gene mutation that results in the odd coloring.

If it's not too late for me to join in for text, please? (I can't draw)

Tangrowth, I Choose You!

[Stage 1] Tangrowth HP110 [G]

tangrowth-f.gif

[G] Vine Grab 30
Switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon.

[G][G][C] Mix n' Match
If both this Pokémon and your opponent's Active Pokémon has any Pokémon Tools attached to them, put your opponent's Active Pokémon's Pokémon Tool on this Pokémon, and this Pokémon's Pokémon Tool on your opponent's Active Pokémon. If this Pokèmon or your opponent's Active Pokèmon is Knocked Out, put the Pokémon Tools in the original owners Discard Pile.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [W] -20
Retreat: [C][C][C]
When it remains still, it appears to be a large shrub. Unsuspecting prey that wander near get ensnared by its vines.

This is my first ago at something like this, and I don't think I did a fantastic job... Here it is anyway.

[align=center][MEGA] M. Mewtwo EX HP 220 [P]​

Mega-Mewtwo_X_XY.gif

[MEGA EVOLUTION RULE - When 1 of your Pokemon becomes a Mega Evolution Pokemon, your turn ends.]

[Ability: Mind and Might] - As long as M. Mewtwo EX has a [F] energy attached to it, it's typing is [P] and [F].
M. Mewtwo EX has a x4 Weakness as long as this Ability is active.

[F][*] Fighter's Knowledge
Name 1 Supporter card.
During your opponent's next turn, if they play a Supporter card with that name, their Active Pokemon takes 100 Damage.

[F][P][P] Educated Violence - 150+
You may switch one of your opponent's Benched Pokemon with their Active Pokemon.
This attack does 150 plus 10 damage for every [P] and [F] Energy in both Players' Discard pile.

Weakness - [P]
Resistance -
Retreat Cost - [*][*][*]

[When a Pokemon EX is knocked out, your opponent takes 2 Prize Cards.]

It was created by a scientist after years of horrific gene-splicing and DNA-engineering experiments.[/align]

[Basic] Spiritomb HP 80 [P]
NO. 442 Forbidden Pokémon HT. 3’03” WT. 238.1 lbs.

Δ Pierce: This Pokémon’s attacks’ damage isn’t affected by any effects on the Defending Pokémon.

[Ability] Spirit Link
Once during your turn, (before your attack), if your Active Pokémon is a Pokémon-EX and your Active Pokémon does not have any Pokémon Tool cards attached to it, you may Knock Out this Pokémon. Attach this card to your Active Pokémon as a Pokémon Tool Card. Then, you may put a M Pokémon-EX that evolves from your Active Pokémon from your hand onto your Active Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) Your turn does not end if the Pokémon this card is attached to becomes a M Pokémon-EX.

[P][C] Spirit Seal 10
Put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Pokémon that have an Ability. Then, put 2 damage counters on each of your opponent’s Pokémon that have an Ancient Trait. Each of your opponent’s Pokémon in play, in your opponent’s hand, and in your opponent’s discard pile has no Abilities or Ancient Traits until the end of your next turn.

[P][P][P][C] Spirit Strike 20+
Does 20 more for each [P] Energy attached to this Pokémon. If your opponent’s Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from this attack, this Pokémon may attack again this turn. (If this attack Knocks Out your opponent’s Active Pokémon, you may attack again after your opponent chooses a new Active Pokémon.

Weakness:
Resistance:

The 108 spirits that make up this Pokémon were bound to a fissure in an Odd Keystone as punishment for misdeeds 500 years ago.

REASONING: PLEASE READ

At a first glance, this Pokémon may seem overpowered. Turn one M Pokemon-EX? Up to 50 damage for one Energy with Spirit Seal and Dimension Valley? The ability to attack multiple times per turn? However, these attacks are not as strong as one might think. Sure, Spirit Link can help you achieve a turn one Mega, but how many Megas can you think of that can use an attack on the first turn? Not many, if any. Spirit Seal can lock Abilities and Ancient Traits and do up to 50 damage, but only if the Defending Pokémon has both an Ability and an Ancient Trait. I don’t think there are many, if any, Pokémon with both of these characteristics. Spirit Strike enables multiple attacks in one turn, but it has a rather bulky energy cost and has a low damage output relative to its energy cost.

I would like to be a text creator please, if there is still space.

So this is my first shot at custom card creation, but it won't be my last cause this was fun as heck. Here goes nothing.

[Basic] Smeargle HP 50 [C]
No. 235 Painter Pokemon Ht. 3”11’ Wt. 127 lbs.

[Ability] Breeder’s Choice: Your [C] Pokémon can use the attacks of any Pokémon in play (both yours and your opponents.) (You still need the necessary energy to use each attack).

[C] Moody: This attack does 20 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokémon chosen at random. Then, heal 10 damage from one of your opponent’s Pokemon chosen at random.

Weakness: [F]
Resistance:
Retreat Cost: [C]

Smeargle marks the boundaries of its territory using a body fluid that leaks out from the tip of its tail. Over 5,000 different marks left by this Pokémon have been found.

Rationale: Smeargle is my favourite Pokemon, beating Xerneas by a fraction and everything else by a zillion miles. Most of his TCG incarnations focus on copying moves or effects via “Sketch.” He is noteworthy for being a chaotic and unpredictable lead in the game, especially when sporting the Moody ability, whose randomness I attempted to capture here. More importantly, though, he can pass sketched moves to any Pokemon in his egg group, and I gave him the ability Breeder’s Choice to illustrate this (but used type as the commonality instead.) Dex entry taken from ORAS.

So, I decided I wanted to use a Pokemon from one of my playthroughs. I decided to flip a coin. If heads, I'd use Beedrill, one of the Pokemon from my X nuzlocke (which I posted here) or CarChomp, my starter from my White 2 randomizer nuzlocke. I ended up getting CarChomp. I decided to use my recolor of him (more coming soon!) as well.

Promo said:
[Stage 2] Garchomp HP 130 [N]
Evolves from Gabite
3209_orig.gif

[Ability] Sacrifice
If this Pokémon is in your hand, you may discard it. If you do, draw cards until you have 7 cards in your hand.

[W][F][C] Outrage 100
You may discard 2 Energy attached to this Pokémon. If you don't, this Pokémon is now confused.

Weakness: [N] x2
Resistance:

Scientists have named these odd colored Pokémon "Shiny Pokémon". There is a gene mutation that results in the odd coloring.

He actually didn't know Outrage until before the elite four. I found enough shards and tutored him the move. Sacrifice is based off the champion battle. My last two Pokemon were CarChomp and Swag.exe (My Klinklang). Carchomp died to Haxorus, allowing a fully healed Swag.exe to finish off Haxorus and win the battle.

I hope you enjoy!

Basic Dunsparce HP40
WhiteNRG

dunsparce.gif

NO. 206 Land Snake Pokémon HT: 4'11" WT: 30.9 lbs.

AbilityBOL
Suffocating Swarm
Your opponent's Active Pokémon loses -20 HP. You may only apply Suffocating Swarm Abilities on your opponent's Active Pokémon until its remaining HP is 40 or more.

WhiteNRG
Final Burst
If the Defending Pokémon has equal to or fewer remaining HP than this Pokémon, the Defending Pokémon is Knocked Out.

weakness
FightNRG
x2 resistance
NoneNRG

retreat

When spotted, this Pokémon escapes backward by furiously boring into the ground with its tail.
Suffocating Swarm: Floette FF, Gardevoir NXD, Swalot PHF
Final Burst: Empoleon LT

Explanation:
The Suffocating Swarm ability can only decrease remaining HP to 40 at any time meaning the ability is basically useless when not paired with the attack. Also, although Mew-EX can abuse this attack slightly, we got a Shedninja that could get a bit OP when paired with a Mew-EX... so no worries - same power.

[10/03/2015 7:05:17 AM] Cris - bbninjas: Guys what Pokemon should I base my text around for CaC?
[10/03/2015 7:05:27 AM] Muffin: Dunsparce

Time for my entry! I choose...

Kyurem!
6n6ioVE.png

Symbols by Metagross101, BW blank by ShiningBill. Kyurem 3D model by Game Freak.

So this is what I'm calling a "super-art" card; it's similar to a full-art but has more art per card, and doesn't have much glamour stuff (holo, texture) to take the focus away from the artwork or the contents of the card itself.
You can see my inspiration for this style here, but note that those cards cover up most of the important stuff that makes a card legal - super-arts would be more legal than painted-over cards because of this.
This Kyurem focuses on preventing the opponent from doing stuff. Specifically, using Ancient Traits and drawing cards. With official Ancient Traits becoming more and more common (and versatile and useful), making something to combat them seems like a good idea. And I've been wanting to make a card that prevents beginning-of-turn card draws for a while now too.

And just for fun, here's the paintless version of my entry:
Look at how different the paint makes it!
6NdmuSg.png

I'm not even sure which of the artwork is best :O They both look awesome!

Aside from the lack of a border, exactly how does it differentiate itself from a normal full art card? It just looks like a full art card with no foil.

PMJ said:
Aside from the lack of a border, exactly how does it differentiate itself from a normal full art card? It just looks like a full art card with no foil.

If you look at the current range of full-art Pokemon cards, they're all very samey in that it's a Pokemon with lots of VFX, texturing, and other things that get in the way of the full-art being an actual piece of art. You couldn't take the art out of the current full-arts, frame it, and say it's decent artwork suitable for a gallery - it's just not that type of card.

It's like the difference between a reverse-holo card and a Radiant Collection card - minor, but enough to make the new type of card unique and awesome.
Plus, with the amounts of 3D (not fancy paintified 3D stuff!) art in the recent eras of TCG it'd be a good change of pace for the TCG to have this type of full-art too. So overall, it's more than just the card blank, it's what the type of card is.

But you could apply the same texturing to your artwork and wind up with the same result.

Generally full arts are just Pokémon models with random backgrounds and golden lineart pasted together, not a single piece completely texturized. That's the difference from those to BFA's card. This has artwork, those have models and GFX stuff.

Very nice concept, I always thought that's how Full Arts would've been if introduced in a past era, [link=http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/099/b/1/ho_oh_e_full_art__by_deltablanknite-d4vi9ma.png]something like this.[/link] (Not my submission btw)

Love the concept, AUS! I've been crossing my fingers for ages that we'll get more traditional art FAs.

ninetales_zpsktwaf6oj.png

Ninetales. I thought it'd be cool to make a card like this. I had some other ideas for stuff to do with Tools, but I decided to expand it for my Ninetales. I like it, hopefully you do too.

Back