Playing in the Sand

dakdak432

Aspiring Trainer
ive decided to make a weather team since I've always loved rock and steel types. this isn't going to be used in competitive play but against my friends. I know i have a common weakness of fighting, but i have some counters for it. so here it is

Tyranitar@choice band
sand stream
180 hp, 252 atk, 76 spd
adament (+atk, -spatk)
crunch
stone edge
earthquake
ice beam

the reason for him is to set up sandstorm, and do some damage later in the game . I don't think i'll do much in the early game other then getting sandstorm, then switching into my other ninjask or gliscor.

ninjask@focus sash
speed boost
248 hp, 224 def, 36 spd
impish(+def, -spatk)
substitute
swords dance
baton pass
protect

his main reason is to set up speed and attack so i can baton pass into golem and go for a sweep. he can get golem fast enought to outspeed most things and have high enough attack to sweep teams

Golem@choice band
sand veil
180 atk, 252 def, 76 spd
adament(+atk, -spatk)
stone edge
thunder punch
fire punch
selfdestruct

his reasoning is to be a physical sweeper. his reasons are in ninjasks description. his move reasoning is so that i can cover weaknesses and is his hp gets too low i can self destruct and most likely take down their pokemon too.

alakazam@life orb
magic gaurd
4 hp, 252 spatk, 252 spd
timid(+spd, -atk)
psychic
focus blast
grass knot
shadow ball

his reasoning is to cover the common fighting weakness and to help come in later and make a small sweep. his high atk and life orb helps him take down bigger foes and threats to the rest of my team

gliscor@toxic orb
poison heal
244 hp, 248 def, 16 spd
impish(+def, -spatk)
roost
earthquake
toxic
aerial ace

his reason is to come in after tyranitar and b a wall and spread poison. he has aerial ace to also cover the fighting weakness, or to force a switch.

thats all i have so far. i need help with the last slot. if someone would like to make a suggestion i would greatly appreciate it. let me know what you think of the team and what i could do to make it better.

Tyranitar seems fine, I wouldn't give it speed revs since most everything will outrun it anyways and your not running jolly+ scarf. Also ice beam should be replaced.

Ninjask shouldnt be there, sandstorm residual damage will negate focus sash plus its frail to begin with. I understand you want to use it to baton pass speed boosts to your slower pokemon, but thats not going to be practical with only 1 baton passer on your team.

Why run selfdestruct when golem can learn explosion? And why give him speed evs?

Alakazam is ok, but he doesn't benefit nor contribute to sandstorm.

Gliscor's aerial ace doesn't threaten fighting-types especially since yours lacks attack evs. If your using him on sandstorm, why not use sand veil?

Sand veil garchomp, excadrill, or metagross are my recommendations

so take out ninjask, alakazam and and garchomp, excadrill, and fill the empty spot with metagross? the change the moves? im thinking changing aerial ace with u-turn, is that good?

Both Excadrill and Sand Veil is banned in OU. Another great sand abuser Landorus-I is also banned.
Right now there isn't that many good ways to abuse sand. Sandslash and Stoutland with Sand Rush and rock-types for the Sp. Def boost are the ones which benefits the most.
One of the main reasons you would want to use sand right now is to counter other weather types and that you actually want to rely on Tyranitar/Hippowdon more than just as a weather starter.

The main problem with this team is that you lack certain resistances and you have no Special Wall (though Tyranitar comes quite close even with just that hp investment). You have nothing to for example switch into a Hydro Pump which is very commonly seen in OU due to the popularity of rain.

Tyranitar and Gliscor though, works very well together!
While Tyranitar can take a majority of special moves (if you invest more in HP and Special Defense) that threatens Gliscor and it can in return take most physical moves such as Close Combat and Earthquake which threatens Tyranitar. You only need something which can cover the problems between those two.

Golem is very underwhelming in OU (it's pretty good in NU however) and you only give yourself another pokémon which works similarly to Tyranitar.
Ninjask is difficult to justify in a team without a Baton Pass chain since your opponent could easily send in a counter to whatever pokémon you are passing the speed to in this case (also it's very vulnerable in the Baton Passing moment).

The most annoying Gliscor set is definitely with Substitute/Protect/Toxic/Earthquake and Poison Heal which really maximizes the effect of Toxic.

You should also work Stealth Rock (on Tyranitar perhaps?) in on this team.
Then a revenge killer is very important in OU. There are many pokémon that are really quick or sets up with moves like Dragon Dance. A Choice Scarfer such as Terrakion or Keldeo is able to deal with a majority of these threats. You can sometimes also deal with them by using strong priority moves such as Mamoswine's Ice Shard or Technician Scizor's Bullet Punch.

Conzipe said:
Both Excadrill and Sand Veil is banned in OU.

He says this team is for fun usage with friends, I assume ban lists aren't in place with his friends.

Bashamo said:
Conzipe said:
Both Excadrill and Sand Veil is banned in OU.

He says this team is for fun usage with friends, I assume ban lists aren't in place with his friends.

Since he specifically said "OU" I assume they actually play according to the tier.

Conzipe said:
Bashamo said:

Since he specifically said "OU" I assume they actually play according to the tier.

Well, since his original post had a sand veil golem you could assume otherwise.

Excadrill and Sand Veil is uber. If you can bring that, you might as well bring an ubers team?

Conzipe said:
Excadrill and Sand Veil is uber. If you can bring that, you might as well bring an ubers team?

That's a large leap.

I only mentioned him because he's the best sand abuser and this is a friendly sand team.

If you bring Excadrill in sand I wouldn't call it a very friendly team. That thing is too good for OU and could easily end up plowing the opposing team. Making the friendly game into a massacre.

Conzipe said:
If you bring Excadrill in sand I wouldn't call it a very friendly team. That thing is too good for OU and could easily end up plowing the opposing team. Making the friendly game into a massacre.
That depends on what teams his friends are running against him. Many common OU sights like skarmory and wash rotom can take on an excadrill just fine.

Right, and things like Darkrai can be checked just fine with a Sleep Talk Heracross. So it should also be allowed?

Conzipe said:
Right, and things like Darkrai can be checked just fine with a Sleep Talk Heracross. So it should also be allowed?

This isn't an argument about tier listings. His team is for casual play and he wanted help with it, he specifies that very clearly. If he had an issue with using it, I'm pretty positive that would have been mentioned by him by now.

If it's supposed to be an OU team, you need to follow the rules of OU. Otherwise it isn't an OU team.

I assumed he just didn't know about this specific ban. Which is why I brought it up.
I'm not sure how I can assume they play according to an imaginary tier where Excadrill is OU.

Back