Plasma Blast - what we'll get that Megalo Cannon didn't

Ryan Sinclair

4-2-2 at my first Nats, 33rd/151
As we all know from past sets, our sets are far from the same as the Japanese sets. We get cards in earlier sets than them, later sets, and Japan even has bonus Promo cards that we just get as filler.

Megalo Cannon, in Japan, had 86 (82 + 4 secret rares) cards in set and if we were to get this as our full set, it would be the smallest BW set we've had. That said, it's pretty obvious we'll get more than 86. So let's team up and work out which filler cards we'll get!

I'll start -
I have a feeling we'll get the Kyurem-EX in the Blastoise/Kyurem Combo Deck. If we didn't we'd only get 5 EXs, which would be just... odd.

KyuremEXComboDeck6.jpg

[c][c] - Outrage - 30+
Does 30 damage plus 10 more damage for each damage counter on this Pokémon.

[w][w][c][c] - Giga Frost - 150
Discard 2 [w] Energy attached to this Pokémon.

It really depends on how big the set will be, which still hasn't been confirmed. But if it's a big set like Boundaries Crossed, then the Everybody's Exciting Battle cards will be included for sure. The Blastoise/Kyurem Deck seems like a given though.

I completely forgot about that abomination of a "set". Even the two Supporters are awful, let alone every single one of the Pokémon. Still, there's hope for a Catcher reprint, then maybe it'll come down in price as a card.

Also, I have a funny feeling we'll get the Shiny Collection cards in Plasma Blast. Just the new stuff though, like Elesa. I don't think we'll see full art Emolga :(

Ryan Sinclair said:
I have a feeling we'll get the Kyurem-EX in the Blastoise/Kyurem Combo Deck. If we didn't we'd only get 5 EXs, which would be just... odd.

Odd? Only 5 EXs? That would be AMAZING! I may not be speaking for all collectors, but I know that as a collector, the massive amounts of Ultra Rares (and the giant set sizes in general) are awful - it just means more money that we'll have to spend. It especially sucks when the artwork isn't even that great, but the card is pricey.

I'm thinking we'll probably get MC, the combo deck, and the exciting battles for everyone decks. Shiny Collection will probably be handled the same way as Dragon Selection.

Well, Plasma Blast pretty much sucks in terms of giving collectors everything from Japan if it's the last BW English set. It's "over 100 cards in all" i.e. 101-109 cards total. Expect Megalo Cannon, the Blastoise/Kyurem-EX Deck and a few random BW-P Promos like Froslass (because Snorunt and Glalie are in Megalo Cannon). No Shiny Collection, no Exciting Battles. The eleven EXs are probably the ten from MC plus Kyurem-EX. Blah.

Ryan Sinclair said:
I completely forgot about that abomination of a "set". Even the two Supporters are awful, let alone every single one of the Pokémon. Still, there's hope for a Catcher reprint, then maybe it'll come down in price as a card.

Also, I have a funny feeling we'll get the Shiny Collection cards in Plasma Blast. Just the new stuff though, like Elesa. I don't think we'll see full art Emolga :(

Wait - you WANT a Catcher reprint? You WANT that card to stick around longer?

Seth1789110 said:

You have got to be kidding me. Catcher is GOOD for the game. The format would be pretty bland with bench sitters everywhere (hi Blastoise) which also increases the price of them making the format slower, yet stronger, stupider, more luck based and expensive.

Blui said:
Seth1789110 said:

You have got to be kidding me. Catcher is GOOD for the game. The format would be pretty bland with bench sitters everywhere (hi Blastoise) which also increases the price of them making the format slower, yet stronger, stupider, more luck based and expensive.

It's not whether I think it's good for the game or not, hell if it's there and it's staple there's not a lot anyone can do about it but put up with it. It's just that if it gets reprinted, then maybe it'll come down in price and we'll have a staple card that costs less than £10 a pop!

Ryan Sinclair said:
Blui said:

It's not whether I think it's good for the game or not, hell if it's there and it's staple there's not a lot anyone can do about it but put up with it. It's just that if it gets reprinted, then maybe it'll come down in price and we'll have a staple card that costs less than £10 a pop!

Well most people agree that it should have a reprint instead of being cut from the game completely. It didn't help that the card was supposedly 'short printed'

Hmm, I rather wonder about whether they're include Shiny Collection in Plasma Blast or not. As I see it, there are three options of what TPCi could do with Shiny Collection: Release it separately like they did with Dragon Selection/Vault, stick it in with one of the remaining BW sets (likely *Plasma Blast*), or not release it entirely.

The main problem with releasing it as a separate set is the marketing value of it. Dragon Selection was the first release of the Dragon-type TCG cards and as such was a pretty big hype. It was also fairly age- and gender-neutral, so it appealed to a wide range of buyers. Most of the cards weren't very playable, so I can't imagine it catered to the serious players in either its English or Japanese release, but I'm guessing that those types of players don't buy sealed products as much anyway, compared to collectors and younger or less-serious players. On the other hand, Shiny Collection is definitely female-biased. Like DS, the cards aren't particularly playable so you lose out on the serious players market, and you also lose out on a lot of the younger male demographic because of the "girlishness" of the cards.

Similarly, Shiny Collection didn't really have anything new like DS that would require being released separately. If you remove the artistic holo decorations, the cards could be slipped into any set. The only real exception to that is the Full Arts, because they're made in a different manner from the other full arts, being a simpler flat glitter holo style than the textured printing of other FAs. And even then, 4 out of 5 of the FAs are reprints; only Meloetta EX FA is a unique FA in this set (since Meloetta EX herself is unique to this set). Of the 20 non-FA cards in the set, 14 are unique to SC, including one EX (the aforementioned Meloetta) and one supporter (Elesa). 6 of those cards are 3 stage 2 evolution lines (Serperior and Gardevoir), and there's also a stage 1 evolution line (Ursaring).

Slapping 15 cards into the Plasma Blast set doesn't seem like it would be a big deal. The hardest part might be recreating the FA in the regular FA style. On one hand, slapping the cards into Plasma Blast helps inflate the card list and releases those cards into International markets. On the downside, it removes from TPCi a potential source of extra revenue in the form of another separate mini-set like Dragon Vault

I guess part of the decision on whether to make it separate or not will be dependent on how well DV sold internationally; if it did really well they might be more willing to give a separate SC a chance, but if it did poorly, I doubt they will, especially for something that would be harder to market. Of course, they could tweak the set (or at least the packaging and marketing of it) to make it less gender-biased in its appeal. Or maybe they could just take some of the cards (like Meloetta EX and Elesa) and release them as promos for something or other.

Haha, I was so confused because I didn't realize that P.B. for Plasma Blast had filtered into Pokebeach.

Yeah, I've never bought Shiny Collection as a viable thing to release as a subset in America like Dragon Vault. While Pokemon does appeal to all ages and both genders, I still think that the majority of the audience is boys ages 6-11, and having a product specifically designed for little girls with super girly artwork and Pokemon just seemed like something TPCi wouldn't do, IMO.

However from the sell sheet alone we know that Meloetta-EX is not being included because there's six EXs (the five from Megalo Cannon + Kyurem) and five full arts. And Megalo Cannon is 86 cards, the Blastoise/Kyurem Deck has eight more exclusive cards, and they'll probably throw in some random BW-P Promos like Froslass, Machamp and Genesect (confirmed) as well as maybe some Fire cards from the Exciting Battles -- as Megalo Cannon literally has TWO Fire cards in it -- to bring the set up to over 100.

Artemis said:
Hmm, I rather wonder about whether they're include Shiny Collection in Plasma Blast or not. As I see it, there are three options of what TPCi could do with Shiny Collection: Release it separately like they did with Dragon Selection/Vault, stick it in with one of the remaining BW sets (likely PokéBeach), or not release it entirely.
Autocorrect derped :p
I'm guessing MC (obviously) and the Blastoise/Kyurem EX deck (Blastoise reprint?) will definitely be in there. I'm not too sure where the rest will come from though.
109 - 86 = 23, 101 - 86 = 15, minus Kyurem EX, Master Ball and the other 5 new Pokemon, leaves between 8 and 14 cards for us to find. Maybe there's some sets I have yet to find that may contain those missing cards? Any Japanese promos that could be printed in Blast?

Edit: Aaaah ninja'd.

Hahahaha, I never realized that there was a word filter for PokéBeach. In any event, I fixed my post.

Frost said:
However from the sell sheet alone we know that Meloetta-EX is not being included because there's six EXs (the five from Megalo Cannon + Kyurem) and five full arts. And Megalo Cannon is 86 cards, the Blastoise/Kyurem Deck has eight more exclusive cards, and they'll probably throw in some random BW-P Promos like Froslass, Machamp and Genesect (confirmed) as well as maybe some Fire cards from the Exciting Battles -- as Megalo Cannon literally has TWO Fire cards in it -- to bring the set up to over 100.

While it is technically possible that the 6th EX could be Meloetta and they're not releasing it as an FA because of the SC FA differences (after all, Kyurem EX isn't mentioned by name in the sell sheet), I think Kyurem EX is definitely more likely.

Mostly that post started off as a random thought and just kind of spiraled into rambling. >___>

But if SC isn't released on its own, they could still toss some of the cards into Plasma Blast to fill up space or to round things out. Sadly, the only unique fire card from SC was a Growlithe on its own. If any card from SC is tossed in, I'd think it would be Elesa.

For promos: Genesect 209/BW-P has already been confirmed. Genesect 219/BW-P could be put in because it's a Team Plasma card and they could want to throw all of the Genesect cards in together. Froslass is practically a given because Snorunt and Glalie are in Megalo Cannon and she was not. Machamp's BW-P promo could be inserted because the family is already in the set.

There's other promos they could use but it depends on if they just want to toss in everything regardless of there being incomplete lines. Magikarp, Lucario, Tympole, Serperior, Salamence, stuff like that. I think those are far less likely than the ones above though. If anything I think a lot of the extra cards could be the Fire-type cards from Exciting Battles, like I said above. They're all essentially trash playability-wise, but Megalo Cannon was lacking in that type pretty badly.

The other possibility could be that they take whatever new cards appear in EX Battle Boost (it's been said that it'll have some new cards) and put those into Plasma Blast too. Especially if the plan is to plow right on to XY1 in November.

Frost said:
There's other promos they could use but it depends on if they just want to toss in everything regardless of there being incomplete lines. Magikarp, Lucario, Tympole, Serperior, Salamence, stuff like that.

YES
Oh I'd love to get the Salamence card in Plasma Blast! Sigilyph counter, works great with Altaria in an anti-Laser deck, and well, it's Salamence. I do hope we get it...

I hope we'll get SC as a separate. As for a Catcher reprint, I have mixed feelings. Also, I hope they print that cool-looking alternate version of the DelugeStoise

Everything I've considered about the set has already been said by Frost, but there's still one thing...
How about the Mewtwo vs Genesect deck? Maybe there's not many cards in there and they will include them in Plasma Blast (which would also be an excuse to include the recent Mew promo in the set)... Although we still don't know exactly what the deck will have... I don't know if it will have something unnusual like an actual Shiny Genesect card and a MewtwoX card...

Back