OU: Pokémon Pinsir Discussion Thread

bacon

!!!!!
Let's pump some activity into this malnourished forum!​

~* PINSIR *~

malestag.jpg

Pinsir
Type: Bug
Abilities: Hyper Cutter / Mold Breaker / Moxie (Hidden)
Stats: 65 / 125 / 100 / 55 / 70 / 85

Mega Pinsir
Type: Bug / Flying
Ability: Aerilate (Normal-type moves become Flying-type moves, granting a 30% power boost + STAB)
Stats: 65 / 155 / 120 / 65 / 90 / 105

Notable moves:

X-scissor
Storm Throw
Swords Dance
Superpower
Earthquake
Return
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock (BW2 tutor)
Double-edge (FRLG tutor)
Close Combat
Quick Attack

Thoughts

This thing looks dangerous, both statistically and aesthetically.

Fantastic attack backed by its exclusive Aerilate ability will break things. Return or Double Edge are the primary STAB options. Unlike most other abusers of the Flying STAB, Pinsir has access to Earthquake which punishes Electric, Rock and Steel switch-ins. Quick Attack is also fantastic priority on Mega Pinsir.

While not outstandingly bulky, Mega Pinsir is chunky enough to live through most priority attacks. The speed is mediocre and might prove to be its main downfall, but in a bulky offensive environment 105 speed could be acceptable. Sticky Web support is probably not worth it due to the overlapping weaknesses of Galvantula/Shuckle.

Mega Pinsir has a crippling x4 weakness to Stealth Rock, which will severely hamper its usage. The Defog buff will help, but as Pinsir appreciates its own Stealth Rock support perhaps the traditional Rapid Spin will better serve it. Fortunately Mega Pinsir has some nice type synergy with Starmie and Excadrill.

The most common set is likely to be:

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Return / Double Edge
- Quick Attack
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

I don't think this set needs an explanation. Get in there and smash things until you either a) Win or b) Die. I think Close Combat is illegal with Quick Attack (which is basically mandatory), so Earthquake seems like the best coverage move.

Well, those are my thoughts. Splurge away with your own. c:

We have no tiers atm, so assume an anything goes environment with the obvious ubers banned.

Both parents can pass moves down as of gen 6, so there are no more illegal egg combinations.

Well then, no, I don't think Pinsir is that great. Its offenses and defenses are somewhat lacking, since this is your team's mega and that's one hard choice. Perhaps it will be of good use in UU, but I doubt it makes OU material.

Offenses lacking? Really.

Pinsir is one of my favorite megas both by potential and design. The fact that it can get CC and Quick Attack makes it a vicious attacker (combined with Double-Edge and Earthquake), but it does have 4MSS when you see that Swords Dance is also an option. That 155 attack is pretty good but rather average among megas, but Aerilate makes up for that in a big way.

As reported by Smogon, it also gives a 30% boost and STAB to the move changed to Flying: (from Facebook) - Pixilate, Refrigerate, and Aerilate all increase a Normal-type move's power by 30% before changing the type of the move, and they still get the STAB bonus!

The things that disappoint me about it are the 4MSS, a quad-weakness to SR, and no HP gain upon megavolving as opposed to getting a pointless +10 in SAtk. It's hard to find reasons to use Pinsir over other megas, but when you do, it's a monster, even regardless of other megas. Definitely one of the ones to look out for.

~AoH

Getting the 30% boost from Aerialate and then the 50% boost for stab is a total boost of 80% for Normal type moves, which is nuts.

Swords Dance/Return/Quick Attack/Earthquake seems like the best set. Skarmory can be 2HKOed from a +2 Return after Stealth Rock without an Adamant Nature.

Yeah... definitely no need for CC if you 2HKO Skarm with Return. I imagine it OHKOs Zapdos after Stealth Rock too. Walling this thing doesn't seem like an option.

I guess you can always keep it in check with Aerodactyl, Talonflame and any Choice Scarf user with a resistance to Flying.

@AoH: I meant its offenses were lacking for a Mega, just as you said.

Anyway, since I didn't take the 30% from Aerilate into account last time, let me reconsider. 2HKO'ing Skarmory at +2 with Return is indeed a great achievement. I guess that this thing's greatest enemies are gonna be faster priority users or something that resists its Flying STAB. By the way, bacon's set has Hyper Cutter, but what about the other 2 abilities? Mold Breaker bypasses Levitate and allows Pinsir to kill Bronzong (which was big in VGCs), while Moxie effectively gives it a role similar to MoxieMence, with higher Attack and Speed in exchange for the fact that it's holding a Mega Stone.

I'm going to guess it's because you don't lose to Intimidate (and therefore are forced to switch out).

Actually, forget that last part, don't know what I was thinking. Obviously it doesn't really matter, since the plan is to Mega evolve. The only reason to care about abilities is in the case you play two Megas in the team, but that's a bad strategy.

Moxie is kinda cool to be honest, because Pinsir's offenses are solid enough in vanilla forme that it can pick something off, grab a Moxie boost and then Mega Evolve.

I do not mean 2 evolutions in one battle, I mean 2 Pokemon holding Mega Stones.

@Astra: Yeah, it has a rather solid offense, but it's not fast enough and it has no STAB in vanilla mode, at least in the sets we've seen so far.

I'd side with Hyper Cutter because any set that Mega Pinsir wants to use should not be using a Bug STAB, which really limits vanilla Pinsir's ability to net a kill and get the Moxie boost. Hyper Cutter at least sheilds you from an Intimidate user switching into Pinsir before it gets a chance to go mega (at least, I think switching has a higher priority than mega evolving).

bacon said:
I'd side with Hyper Cutter because any set that Mega Pinsir wants to use should not be using a Bug STAB, which really limits vanilla Pinsir's ability to net a kill and get the Moxie boost. Hyper Cutter at least sheilds you from an Intimidate user switching into Pinsir before it gets a chance to go mega (at least, I think switching has a higher priority than mega evolving).

Very valid point, siding with this too. To reiterate this, Gyarados would love to switch into Pinsir all day long and cut it down, but won't it be surprised by that Intimidation block. Regular Pinsir is not exactly a killing machine when facing the threats Mega-Pinsir can stand up to.

Speaking of which, with Pinsir's relative slowness, might it be useful to use Protect to shield it from being outsped by >85 base Spd mons on its megavolve turn? Mega-Absol has a good set that does the same trick, and with similar Atk and Spd stats, I think Pinsir could pull it off. Return/Quick Attack/EQ/Protect sounds viable.

~AoH

I think I would default with SD over Protect. You basically get a free turn to mega evolve provided that Pinsir can finish off an opponent with Quick Attack. And without SD, I think Pinsir lacks the fire power to dismantle walls on defensive teams and snipe sweepers on offensive teams with Quick Attack (QA being Pinsir's primary tool VS offense due to its middling speed).

Also, I had no idea people were even thinking about running Protect on Mega Absol. I get the theory behind it, but it just seems like Mega Pokemon have severe 4MSS as is without reducing options even further with Protect.

True, I forgot that Quick Attack is its priority move already. Protect is relatively redundant because of that. The only reason you'd use it is if you fear being outsped or you can't finish an opponent off with Quick Attack.

As for Absol, it's because of its lackluster defenses in both forms and the fact that, aside from Sucker Punch, it is stuck with base 75 Spd during the turn it megavolves, making it liable to be OHKOd easily. The Protect ensures survival and then you can make use of the 150 Atk and 115 Spd. It's an alternative moveset from the SD one in a sense.

~AoH

Astra said:
Getting the 30% boost from Aerialate and then the 50% boost for stab is a total boost of 80% for Normal type moves, which is nuts.

Swords Dance/Return/Quick Attack/Earthquake seems like the best set. Skarmory can be 2HKOed from a +2 Return after Stealth Rock without an Adamant Nature.
Do we know for sure that the bonuses are additive? I was under the impression that STAB would be a 50% that applies to the already changed boost, making a 95% total.

^^ I think Jay is right, that's how every other boost works. You multiply x1.3 x1.5, not x(1.3+1.5).

At least that's how every other boost works. (IE: Nidoking @Sheer Force @Life Orb, or Kingdra @STAB @Rain Dance, or Scizor @Technician @STAB)

Back