Pokemon PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse

RE: PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse...

Last time I checked humans were animals... jsyk.

Bolt the Cat said:
Charganium the Bold said:
If you pet an animal, does it not purr?

If you throw a ball at an animal, does it not catch?

If you hit an animal, does it not say "Ow, ow, ow"?

Animals are sentient and should be treated as such.

That being said, this is a stupid game made by stupid people but it was somewhat funny.

Maybe I'm using the word sentient wrong then. Let me know when an animal is smart enough to do complex mathematical equations or read Shakespeare or something. Fact of the matter is, there's definitely something that makes us more capable of logical thought as opposed to instinct like other animals. Animals are deserving of respect, sure, but not the same kind of respect that we'd give each other.

I have a friend who is dyslexic, it he not deserving of respect?

RE: PETA Releases Anti-Pokemon Game to Raise Awareness of Virtual Monster Abuse...

Bolt the Cat said:
If you pet an animal, does it not purr?

If you throw a ball at an animal, does it not catch?

If you hit an animal, does it not say "Ow, ow, ow"?

Animals are sentient and should be treated as such.

That being said, this is a stupid game made by stupid people but it was somewhat funny.

Maybe I'm using the word sentient wrong then. Let me know when an animal is smart enough to do complex mathematical equations or read Shakespeare or something. Fact of the matter is, there's definitely something that makes us more capable of logical thought as opposed to instinct like other animals. Animals are deserving of respect, sure, but not the same kind of respect that we'd give each other.

There are plenty of people who can't read Shakesphere or do math. Should we treat them any differently (sp.?) than we would treat each other?

(Outside of an academic environment, I mean.)

I don't see why you guys are taking Bolt's words out of context to make your point. From my perspective, the only thing he said was that humans are a superior species, which is true. Why you took that as insulting the uneducated/challenged is beyond me.

There are plenty of people who can't read Shakesphere or do math. Should we treat them any differently (sp.?) than we would treat each other?

(Outside of an academic environment, I mean.)

It's just an example. I'm not saying that the mentally handicapped are less deserving of respect either. It's just that there's something, and it's difficult to pin down exactly what, that makes us more capable of complex thought.

Pokemon teaches kids to love their pets. Did you SEE the end of the first Pokemon movie when all they did for at least four minutes was go on about how "fighting is wrong" and "Pokemon weren't made to be abused like this" and N and his crusade to end Pokemon cruelty?
It's been broadcasted by Pokemon for years to love your pets and friends and be nice and all that jazz.
PETA go eat a cactus or something and ruin someone else's childhood.

HypnoticLuxray said:
I don't see why you guys are taking Bolt's words out of context to make your point. From my perspective, the only thing he said was that humans are a superior species, which is true. Why you took that as insulting the uneducated/challenged is beyond me.

This is the point here guys. Animals deserves rights, yada yada yada, but no. We are superior. We are completely and utterly sentient.

Meatheart said:
HypnoticLuxray said:

This is the point here guys. Animals deserves rights, yada yada yada, but no. We are superior. We are completely and utterly sentient.

But not superior in that way. Intellectually superior. Means of communication. Desires for more. Cultures. Music. Entertainment. Other animals have instincts, and those include survival and love for others, but none have the desire or curiosity for more (yes, primates, and yes, dolphins, I know). They live, and die. Humans live and die, but they desire more. I don't know where I'm going with this, but again, words are being taken out of context.

Looking at the world the way it is now, I really doubt humans are that much superior...

Metalizard said:
Looking at the world the way it is now, I really doubt humans are that much superior...

I agree. Not to dis you guys or anything (I'm one too) but humans are actually kinda...
stupid.

Metalizard said:
Yeah, humans definitely screw up a lot, but I don't see any other animal capable of doing the things we do. We can think for ourselves and make rational decisions. It's simple evolution. Our brains are more developed.

I will give PETA credit because at least their online games works.

pokemonjoe said:
Metalizard said:
Yeah, humans definitely screw up a lot, but I don't see any other animal capable of doing the things we do. We can think for ourselves and make rational decisions. It's simple evolution. Our brains are more developed.

I understand that. I actually think that's a good thing (we having a more developed brain and being able to make decisions). But that's also the problem. Some people decide to do good things, others don't. Yes, people are capable of doing amazing things, but I don't see any other animal species destroying their own planet for their own survival (even if, sometimes, unintentionally).

Humans have evolved beyond the basic food chain. We eat everything, we even have the ability to create things. Very few other animals can do this. Albeit with our extended abilities to create, some choose to destroy.

Glace said:
Last time I checked humans were animals... jsyk.

Language issues, mostly. How about "beasts" then?

Once it was understood that humans were set apart from animals. We are gifted in ways they are not, and I am not speaking of tool using capacity, communication, general intellect, etc. They are signs of what we possess, but not that which actually elevates us.

Many are going to want to focus on what is considered "concrete", but that isn't life. Life has mysteries and things we don't comprehend; indeed nothing in life is fully understood. You'll find that our body of knowledge is incomplete in every area, because even what we think are fundamentals are not.

We can observe some things about ourselves; for example humans possess a "conscience" that can be violated. That is to say, a person can choose to do something that very individual considers "wrong", without direct outside input on the matter. Beasts lack this capacity; if it doesn't violate survival instincts and wasn't imposed on them by behavior, it isn't there.

In short, most people that wish to lump humans in with the rest of the animal kingdom seem to be guilty of Chronological Snobbery; so many religions that are ancient considered humans "apart" from the rest of the animal kingdom. There are many common, respected worldviews now that do not, but if applied here we come to a different issue.

A proponent of "animal rights" who believes that all that exists are the results of time and chance have the problem of explaining concepts such as rights, and for that matter, [moral] right and wrong. If humans are just animals as well, then how can our behavior be any more or less wrong than the animals that commit similar but simpler offenses?

Shouldn't this thread be merged with the one WPM created?

Card Slinger J said:
Shouldn't this thread be merged with the one WPM created?

I don't think so. It has enough discussion to stand on its own without having to pollute the other one.

Stopped after the Cheren battle. I had a good laugh, this game was so blunt and ham-fisted.

Go home PETA, you are drunk.

What the heck was PETA thinking? I have played pokemon since I was four and have I ever wanted to make my cat fight with someones dog? (Ok well there was that time.... jk :p) No I have never wanted to do that. I agree with PETA that animals should not be abused but is this REALLY nessesery? Did you guys know that they even made a flash game of mario and how he 'steals' tanookie skin? Get real PETA.

I... don't... even...

Although it was fun murdering Cheren with lightning. He always annoyed me in the first B/W.

Back