Help panicing on what deck to take.

Redcubone02

Aspiring Trainer
Im a senior going to dallas reginols in a month and have been playtesting sam chens turbo turtles list to bring there. The thing is night march is obviously the contender coming off a hot win with zouroark in 22 of the top 64 decks and night march being 4 of the top 8. Turtles matchup against night march is mediocre at best and im starting to panic going through the matchups that i may face and spending money to go to my first reginol only to have my turtles get recked... i am considering buying some cards to make gyrados or just giving in and going night march. What is some advice on how to choose a deck to take to shuch a huge event.

Im a senior going to dallas reginols in a month and have been playtesting sam chens turbo turtles list to bring there. The thing is night march is obviously the contender coming off a hot win with zouroark in 22 of the top 64 decks and night march being 4 of the top 8. Turtles matchup against night march is mediocre at best and im starting to panic going through the matchups that i may face and spending money to go to my first reginol only to have my turtles get recked... i am considering buying some cards to make gyrados or just giving in and going night march. What is some advice on how to choose a deck to take to shuch a huge event.
Have you tried the basic night march counters? stuff like Karen, Oricorio, or Sisematoad

I use karen and oricorio but oricorio isnt as good against the zoro and i have no lele to get karen quickly

Maybe try testing Turbo Turtles with FFB and Oricorio GRI. The FFB allows you to go for a shell trap early and not get punished. If they overextend to knock out your belted Turt, then you can Oricorio them. Mini Volc is also a strong attacker against night march. Try it with Volc EX for easy kills on joltik and Pumpaboo

Maybe try testing Turbo Turtles with FFB and Oricorio GRI. The FFB allows you to go for a shell trap early and not get punished. If they overextend to knock out your belted Turt, then you can Oricorio them. Mini Volc is also a strong attacker against night march. Try it with Volc EX for easy kills on joltik and Pumpaboo
Many have tried. Many have failed. Despite being the most countered deck in the format, resistance is futile. One cannot hope to stand before it! Join its forces or fall to its unstoppable, relentless power, like dead leaves before the fury of a winter storm! Night March still marches on! :D

Hey man, just a heads up from another 15 YO Texan going to Dallas, but unless your profile deceives me, you would be in the Masters division. Chances are this did nothing to alleviate the stress of regionals, but I just wanted to clear that up. I had the same rude awakening a while back when I entered my Play! Pokemon ID and it listed me as a Master lol

This is just my opinion, but I don't think turbo turtles will be very good in Dallas, just because Zoroark GX is looking to overwhelmingly the most popular deck in the event, and Turbo Turtles has a VERY poor matchup versus it simply due to the fact that the play Alolan Muk, which turns off your steam-ups, and makes it impossible for you to ever achieve a one-shot. If you have the ability to get the stuff for Gyrados, I would do that, as it has awesome matchups to the majority of EX/GX based decks. That being said, it is possible that Zoroark might not show up, but I find highly unlikely due to how prevalent Zoroark was in San Jose Regionals. That's just my two cents. Cheers and good luck! :)

You WILL see Zoroark and Night March. Either run a deck that can go even/favorable against them, or your D1 will suck.

As said earlier, Gyarados is a good one to pilot.

Interestingly enough, I was having the same problem. I think I'm going to playtest Despair Ray Mega Gardevoir/Max Potion/Darkrai GX. It sounds absurd, but hear me out.
First and foremost, it's resistant to Zoroark, OHKO's Marshadow without discarding and part of your bench, and Max Potion paired with 4 Mega Turbo keeps the same Gardy alive for more turns, which is like using another Gardy to Despair Ray away, but without actually getting rid of it, so you get more time to set up. Darkrai GX is literally just there to put itself on the bench to discard. So, why play Darkrai at all instead of Exeggcute, when putting itself back in your hand is better because It's Ultra Ball fodder? I actually forgot why... Only situation I can really think of right now is if somebody Pokepuffed or Target Whistled it out, which would work anyway since the deck would still be playing 1-2 Egg copies. The it problem I would find is trying to get a giant OHKO on a big GX, which I guess isn't even what this deck tries to do.
Your initial plan of playing Turbo Turtles is also a good choice, since Turt can OHKO Zoroark, baby Volcs OHKO night marchers, and Turt can OHKO a marcher with Shell Trap, forcing the opponent to attack with Marshadow, Zoroark, forcing to play a Guzma, or accepting the prize trade, none golf which Night March likes to do.

...What is some advice on how to choose a deck to take to shuch a huge event.
I too plan to go to Dallas and may play my Volcanion-Turtonator deck. Regardless of what deck I play, I will run Karen (counter to NM and Vespiquen decks), as well as Parallel City (counter to Zoroark GX decks. I also may tech in a Giratina (promo) as a counter to Greninja decks too.

I too plan to go to Dallas and may play my Volcanion-Turtonator deck. Regardless of what deck I play, I will run Karen (counter to NM and Vespiquen decks), as well as Parallel City (counter to Zoroark GX decks. I also may tech in a Giratina (promo) as a counter to Greninja decks too.
Don't run parallel city. Run Sudowoodo from Gaurdians riding. I've played Zoroark a bit and with the combination of supporter for turn + multiple Trade + Puzzle of Time, getting a Sky Field and Pokemin is rediculously easy. They NEED Alolan Muk to not be severly hindered, and many lists are no longer playing it. All that being said, running Parallel City WITH Sudowoodo improves the Zoroark matchup even further, so go for it if you expect a lot of Zoroark.

I’m not sure how well Vespiquen deals with it, but I’m not sure if Karen really hurts it. Oricorio is a bigger kick in the junk for it if you run enough basics to never be forced to start with it.

Your chances of seeing. Greninja deck is abysmally low.

Now, Trevenant Break on the other hand...

I’m not sure how well Vespiquen deals with it, but I’m not sure if Karen really hurts it. Oricorio is a bigger kick in the junk for it if you run enough basics to never be forced to start with it.

Your chances of seeing. Greninja deck is abysmally low.

Now, Trevenant Break on the other hand...
Karen is WAY scarier for Vespiquen because a) Vespiquen needs to discard way more Pokemon to hit numbers and b) it only has four battle compressor. It's basically an inferior version of NM, that's slower because of evolution, less Deck space, less flexibility, and harder time hitting big numbers. NM big selling point over Vespiquen is that NM effectively has nine compressors brcuase of Puzzle of Time and Dowsing Machine.

Karen is WAY scarier for Vespiquen because a) Vespiquen needs to discard way more Pokemon to hit numbers and b) it only has four battle compressor. It's basically an inferior version of NM, that's slower because of evolution, less Deck space, less flexibility, and harder time hitting big numbers. NM big selling point over Vespiquen is that NM effectively has nine compressors brcuase of Puzzle of Time and Dowsing Machine.
This is true.

Turbo Turtles is looking pretty good right now. Trevenant is starting to pick back up, and the right pilot and the right list can beat Zoroark, which is by far Tree's worst matchup. Anyway, Turbo Turtles can use a single Steam Up, a Fury Belt/ Muscle Band, and OHKO a Night Marcher with a baby Volc or a Turronator. Turt can also OHKO a Zoroark with a Steam Up and a Choice/Muscle Band. And playing very little items let's it fight Garb pretty well, as well as a high supporter count, combing into a decent Toad matchup and a good Trees matchup. Only thing you have watch out for on each of those matchup are weakness and Black Ray GX respectively.

I figured something was a bit off. I knew Vespiquens draw over NMwas it’s use of the Eeveelutions. So it basically hit water, grass, and fire decks for weakness.

Unfortunately, because of how the meta is at the moment, there’s little use for the ‘Eons

Can TPCi just ban Trevenant? They made it fairly clear that they don't like cards (*cough* Trevenant *cough*) that lock an opponent out of the game before they play a single card. This is literally the most ANNOYING Deck to play against. Seismitoad is a very, very good, yet balanced card that item locks but has an awful damage output and gives up two prizes. Trevenant on the other hand,... disgusting.

Back