Other Returning Gimmicks (LV. X, Star, etc)

Machamp The Champion

TCG Articles Head
With the return of EXs in Next Destinies, and the owners mechanic coming back in Plasma Gale, I have this hunch that a few more mechanics will return to us, such as Level Xs, Gold Stars, Legends, Delta Species, etc. What old mechanics do you think will return/want to return or when. And how do you think they'll effect the meta game?

I think the next big one after EXs go away will be LV Xs. They were the big thing for the DP era, as were exs with the ex era (duh), with other mechanics coming and going during that time. It seems like the next logical step for Pokemon (By logical, I mean by Pokemons insane logic).

As for which one I'd like to return, I'd like the Gold Stars to come back sometime soon. But maybe a little easier to obtain this time. I really like how [member]Celebi23[/member] used them in his back to basics project. As a "one time only" type of thing. But with the lost zone gone, it might become harder to make that happen. And maybe more as attackers and support Pokemon, rather then Items in Pokemon form.

Say words about the words I've just said!

~MtC

I'd LOVE to see Delta Species return. They were so unique, they were cool to collect and gave an entire engine for decks to work off of. However, I think they were a one-time thing, so I don't see them returning.

Gold Stars probably won't return, as we are just getting Shiny Pokemon as Secret Rares instead of a Star card. Remember besides Shining Pokemon, Stars were the only cards to be shiny pokemon.

LEGEND pokemon were too recent, so I cannot see them returning in the near future. They're a neat concept, though, and would like to see them back (except maybe allow 4 of each half next time).

Lv.X would be nice to have back, but without the SP Engine, they're just slower than EXs, and it seems like Pokemon is trying to speed up the metagame to attract more people.

I'd like to see the Delta Species back. I agree with Deoxysmatter, and they were my favorite gimmick of the Pokemon card game. (I take that back, they still are.) They don't even have to mix types with Metal, but maybe even Darkness-types. Dark Delta Species? :eek: That'd be SICK.

I doubt Gold Stars will return, because we already have those special Secret Rare cards. It just wouldn't make any sense for them to revert back to Gold Stars.

Deoxysmatter said:
I'd LOVE to see Delta Species return. They were so unique, they were cool to collect and gave an entire engine for decks to work off of. However, I think they were a one-time thing, so I don't see them returning.

Gold Stars probably won't return, as we are just getting Shiny Pokemon as Secret Rares instead of a Star card. Remember besides Shining Pokemon, Stars were the only cards to be shiny pokemon.

Serperior said:
I'd like to see the Delta Species back. I agree with Deoxysmatter, and they were my favorite gimmick of the Pokemon card game. (I take that back, they still are.) They don't even have to mix types with Metal, but maybe even Darkness-types. Dark Delta Species? :eek: That'd be SICK.

I doubt Gold Stars will return, because we already have those special Secret Rare cards. It just wouldn't make any sense for them to revert back to Gold Stars.

I didn't play (Competitively at least) back then. But from what I've heard, Delta Species seemed kinda cool. The Delta based attacks and trainers and what not, Not the different types thing. That always seemed really dumb to me. Like what's the difference between a Lightning/Metal type Charizard and an Ampharos that's part metal? The weakness and resistance I guess, but that still seems lame.

I can see why they wouldn't bring back the Gold Stars, and I didn't really expect them to, but I just really liked the idea of them. Seems a shame :<

what i really hope they bring back is evolving ex's. im tired of all this basic crap and would really appreciate like a flygon ex or something.

They brought the Gold Star mechanic in the new Ace Spec cards, granted they aren't Pokemon, but the same rules apply to them. Not sure what's going to be next, but I certainly wouldn't mind Lv. X.

If they brought back the EXs, then there's bound to be ex evolution cards coming soon. I wouldn't mind LV.Xs to return either. But it looks like with all the Team Plamsa mechanic coming back, SPs are reincarnated once again.

TPZ said:
They brought the Gold Star mechanic in the new Ace Spec cards, granted they aren't Pokemon, but the same rules apply to them. Not sure what's going to be next, but I certainly wouldn't mind Lv. X.

... Well I'm stupid XD . I completely forgot about ACE SPECs. I hope they start giving those really cool effects, rather then upgraded versions of cards.

I don't think it's reasonable to say that the Gold Star Pokemon never have a chance of coming back. Perhaps with the release of the ACE SPEC Trainer cards, it could be hinting that we might have a mechanic like that for Pokemon as well. I'm not saying it will probably happen, but it would be a cool transition. They could even do something like that for Special Energy and bring back some of the powerful Energy cards like DRE, Scramble. That would be really neat.

I would love to see delta and/or SP cards return, but I highly doubt they will as they were one time gimmick cards (more so than Owner's Pokemon). Plasma seems to be the next new "Owner gimmick", so that will probably do for this Gen like SP did for 4th Gen. I would also love to see Level Xs back after the EXs get phased out. It was a really cool concept even though it was used much more when SP came out...

dmaster out.

What I would really love to see again would be Dual-Types in general (especially reverse holos of those). Not only were two-typed Pokemon fun to use, the two shades on a card always impressed me (which is one reason why I enjoyed the Legend cards, hard to use though they were). I would like to see more combinations than just Metal or Dark mix.

Back