Pokemon One Final Pokemon Game? How Could We Impove The Current Games?

RE: One final Pokemon Game?

Yes. I was thinking maybe even Green(For foreigners)/Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum/Black 2 or White 2/Whatever 3rd version

PMJ said:

o_O Wow, that's one hell of a game idea. Here's my thoughts on that:

-Yes to sidequests. That'd be very helpful in training for gym leaders, especially in small regions like Unova where level pacing is an issue.
-Maybe to branching storylines (the "betrayal counter" as you call it). That usually only works well in games where you can replay the story. I'm sick of the illusion of choice that they typically give you in the storyline, though (example: the character's mom in BW2 asks "Do you want a Pokedex?"), so I applaud the idea to turn some of those choices into something significant.
-The idea that you have some sort of government job that for some reason involves doing missions kind of reminds me of the Ranger games. That particular aspect of the story sounds like a better fit for those games.
-I don't like how you claim that you're not really interested in getting badges and then turn around and require them for progress. Why should they be necessary if you're just using them for the HMs, especially now that the badges are in fact no longer required to do so (and yes, I am aware that you came up with this before Platinum came out, but this is something to reconsider if you ever come back to this)?
-Why does Professor Frangipani give you a Pokedex? It isn't quite clear why you need it (in terms of storyline purposes. In a mission oriented game like this, you probably don't care about catching every Pokemon).

Bolt the Cat said:
o_O Wow, that's one hell of a game idea. Here's my thoughts on that:

-Yes to sidequests. That'd be very helpful in training for gym leaders, especially in small regions like Unova where level pacing is an issue.

Side quests would definitely help pacing, not just in regions like Unova but everywhere; after the last Gym Leader, the Elite Four's Pokemon get really powerful, really quickly, and having some side quests available would assist in training.

Bolt the Cat said:
-Maybe to branching storylines (the "betrayal counter" as you call it). That usually only works well in games where you can replay the story. I'm sick of the illusion of choice that they typically give you in the storyline, though (example: the character's mom in BW2 asks "Do you want a Pokedex?"), so I applaud the idea to turn some of those choices into something significant.

I agree that in a game like Pokemon, an idea like this isn't all that feasible. I just liked the idea of your rival joining the other side. :]

Bolt the Cat said:
-The idea that you have some sort of government job that for some reason involves doing missions kind of reminds me of the Ranger games. That particular aspect of the story sounds like a better fit for those games.

Well yeah, but it's just a bare bones idea. The gist was that you have an actual occupation instead of being some random kid. (Although, admittedly, "Pokemon Trainer" is a valid profession, it's getting kind of old and the point was to provide a change to that)

Bolt the Cat said:
-I don't like how you claim that you're not really interested in getting badges and then turn around and require them for progress. Why should they be necessary if you're just using them for the HMs, especially now that the badges are in fact no longer required to do so (and yes, I am aware that you came up with this before Platinum came out, but this is something to reconsider if you ever come back to this)?

When I said that, I was referring to it being the player's goal. In the main games, your goal is to collect 8 Badges and defeat the Pokemon League. During that time, some villains will get in your way, and you end up saving the world as an afterthought. The point of Shroob was to reverse that - in this game, taking down evil is your goal (like a lot of RPGs), and besting the local Pokemon League comes second. That's why I took the focus off collecting Badges, but without requiring them for progression, the Gyms in Shroob (which are multi-level, complex dungeons in and of themselves) serve no purpose.

Bolt the Cat said:
-Why does Professor Frangipani give you a Pokedex? It isn't quite clear why you need it (in terms of storyline purposes. In a mission oriented game like this, you probably don't care about catching every Pokemon).

Because she's young and smokin' hot, why else?

The Pokedex serves the same purpose it does in every game - catalog Pokemon. Although I guess in Shroob, you don't care about completing it - it's just another tool. It might not even be a Pokedex in the traditional sense, since your goal isn't to complete it - it could also be an extra function in the Poke-doohickey. :O

Ho-oh EX said:
1st off, I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right category. Apologies if not.

Anyway, something just struck my attention and I feel the need to share it. We all know Nintendo and Game Freak are reaching for ideas for new Pokemon. Pokemon themed after garbage bags and ice cream made that obvious.

PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT

Yes a toxic waste and pokeball with eyes are very original. Gosh why do people always bring those two up? It's like "Wow this is your only reasoning?". This is a terrible reason, it's a shame people still use it. Personally I feel Hoenn and Unova had the most creative Pokemon ever.

As nifty as an all region game sounds, I kind of think it would be a bit lame. There's gotta be some level balance. Of course maybe shooting the level cap up by a lot is also a possible good idea. Though if you think about it, if it involves travelling regions after all those games, the leaders won't be low leveled. If anything, perhaps a NEW region, then travelling to other regions with stronger trainers and leaders. It could keep the cap at 100 and provide a significant challenge. Though I don't agree we should end the gens off here. I'm still hoping for a Dolphin pokemon.

PMJ said:
Well yeah, but it's just a bare bones idea. The gist was that you have an actual occupation instead of being some random kid. (Although, admittedly, "Pokemon Trainer" is a valid profession, it's getting kind of old and the point was to provide a change to that)

I think the reason why the player's social and professional life is never expanded on is because it's harder to have a separate one when you're on an adventure. You'd usually have to end up leaving all of that behind when you start your journey. Besides, being a Pokemon trainer is a social/professional life in a sense.

Probably. Perhaps they could flesh out exactly what is required of new Pokemon Trainers. (In pretty much every fic I've read, it's been a knowledge test of some kind, which makes sense.) Even if they decided to go with the 10-year-old formula again, at least we'd gain a smidgen of character development knowing that our guy isn't a total derp.

Still sick of being a mute, though.

PMJ said:
Still sick of being a mute, though.

They do that because they want you to feel as though you are actually in the game. Although there are ways to keep it that way without making the player character mute.

First off, why did everyone hate the Fifth gen because of Vanilluxe and Garbodor? Quite honestly, the first gen had less creative Pokemon. Grimer and Muk were just mounds of sludge, and had barely any change in their evolution chain. Same with Abra's line, except the concept was creative. Diglett and Dugtrio was just like Klink's line, so don't get me started. And as far as Pokemon based off of objects, Magnemite had just as much creativity involved as most of the 5th gen Pokemon based off of ice cream cones.

As for the game idea itself, explain how we can make a game with that many levels interesting as far as story goes? Oh right, isn't that the anime? You know, the anime that has brought shame to Pokemon as a franchise?

All that Pokemon is missing is (1) a way to make the game more challenging and (2) extra content. A secret ending would be really cool, or maybe just a challenge to learn new moves. Instead of just meeting a person that teaches you the move, maybe do like a really tough battle instead. The games are fine the way they are, otherwise.

First off, why did everyone hate the Fifth gen because of Vanilluxe and Garbodor? Quite honestly, the first gen had less creative Pokemon. Grimer and Muk were just mounds of sludge, and had barely any change in their evolution chain. Same with Abra's line, except the concept was creative. Diglett and Dugtrio was just like Klink's line, so don't get me started. And as far as Pokemon based off of objects, Magnemite had just as much creativity involved as most of the 5th gen Pokemon based off of ice cream cones.

This, and so much this. I'm sick and tired of people making the "Running out of ideas" argument, because it's just illogical and irrelevant anyway. There's inspiration in everything.
If we had this mindset when Gen 1 began, we'd all be thinking that Pokemon was going to just be a one-hit wonder that would end with one generation, wouldn't we.
But we didn't.
So stop with this, unless you have some reasonable explanation as to why they're running out of ideas. There are millions of species of millions of animals that haven't even been used, and millions more that haven't even been discovered yet. All Game Freak has to do is do a Google search and BOOM, inspiration.

Oh dear
*takes deep breath*

Ho-oh EX said:
We all know Nintendo and Game Freak are reaching for ideas for new Pokemon. Pokemon themed after garbage bags and ice cream made that obvious.

No we don't.
You assume that they are running out of ideas.
When I look at them I see the opposite. They have only just begun to really tap into the potential of Pokemon.

What is the matter with Trubbish and Vanillite?

And please answer with something where I have to write more than just "Exeggcute." in response. Because that would not be long enough for a post.

Ho-oh EX said:
*TRAVEL ALL THE REGIONZ IN 1 GAME*

.... I have no idea why, but I'm sure every day someone somewhere on this planet mentions this idea to someone.
And its not a good one, and I hope gamefreak never falls so low that they would actually do something like this.

I mean just think one or two steps further!
Okay, you get any starter, go to the next route...and then meet the same people and what? The same story? The same gyms? The same wild pokemon? Whats the point?
And theres all sorts of problems.. youd reach lv 100 with your team halfway through, the opponent levels would be a mess, itd get so repetitive, especially when its the same feel and look through all regions.
It would be a waste of a game, for the player and for the company. Instead of a boring oversized quintuple remake in one game, they could instead make a new game with new stuff, imagine that!
Sorry, I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to this.

Mitja said:
Ho-oh EX said:
*TRAVEL ALL THE REGIONZ IN 1 GAME*

... I have no idea why, but I'm sure every day someone somewhere on this planet mentions this idea to someone.
And its not a good one, and I hope gamefreak never falls so low that they would actually do something like this.

I mean just think one or two steps further!
Okay, you get any starter, go to the next route...and then meet the same people and what? The same story? The same gyms? The same wild pokemon? Whats the point?
And theres all sorts of problems.. youd reach lv 100 with your team halfway through, the opponent levels would be a mess, itd get so repetitive, especially when its the same feel and look through all regions.
It would be a waste of a game, for the player and for the company. Instead of a boring oversized quintuple remake in one game, they could instead make a new game with new stuff, imagine that!
Sorry, I prefer quality over quantity when it comes to this.

You complain about repetitiveness yet praise the repetitiveness in the new Pokemon games...
The Pokemon games are so well designed, credit where credit is due, that it doesn't ever get repetitive. I can't tell you how many times I have completed Red version and I would still play it anytime. The quality quantity thing works well here.

I don't understand why people won't accept the fact that Pokemon could change it's formula to something much larger. The games are constantly mentioning the phrase "The World of Pokemon"
Why can't we travel the world of Pokemon?

There is a difference between a new game with the same formula and a game with the same formula more than 5 times.
In that way, repetitive repetition is worse than repetition, yes.

safariblade said:
If this happened, the storyline would have to be cut dramatically. It would have to be a new story about a trainer wanting to collect every badge from every region. Defeating evil teams would get really repetitive, besides, their world domination plots would interfere.

To fix the level problem, they could either increase the max level cap (which would create a lot more problems tbh) or they could just change the way EXP works and make Pokemon level very slowly.

I think a better game option would be to wipe out a linear plot altogether. I'd like to see a Pokemon game where the only objective is to become champion, and make it a CHALLENGE. Every gym starts at LV 40+ so they are already all tough. When you get your starter, the first thing you do is travel and train to build a team. From there, you battle any gym you want in any order. Every time you beat a gym leader, the other gyms get stronger.
OR we could have a plot that matters. How about ashes journy in the Kanto region? (since those are the best episodes) Their could be special events. For example: Viridian Forest, caterpie appears you can catch it with out weakening it like in the anime. If possible it COULD have the banned episodes to keep it fresh as I or most people have never seen them so it would add something fresh to the game. pikachu could follow you as well as misty and brock. (if possible.) since it would be following the shows plot as well the game would be longer than the normal pokmon games.

I personally think that a game where we could ride Legendaries/starters/anything with four legs/wings/rideable could be pretty fun, like Pokemon Ranger.

Zade said:
OR we could have a plot that matters. How about ashes journy in the Kanto region? (since those are the best episodes) Their could be special events. For example: Viridian Forest, caterpie appears you can catch it with out weakening it like in the anime. If possible it COULD have the banned episodes to keep it fresh as I or most people have never seen them so it would add something fresh to the game. pikachu could follow you as well as misty and brock. (if possible.) since it would be following the shows plot as well the game would be longer than the normal pokmon games.

How about no? The anime barely had any plot to begin with. If you're looking for a game with a good plot, I'd say BW1 is about as good as you're gonna get.

Lucky Fire said:
I personally think that a game where we could ride Legendaries/starters/anything with four legs/wings/rideable could be pretty fun, like Pokemon Ranger.

I don't see the point in that for the main games. It makes more sense for the Ranger games, they're more action oriented.

Personally I think the prospect of one final game as the title states is one of the worst ideas I've heard of simply because I'm one of those diehard fans who doesn't want to see the fanchise end. However, new games that aren't just the same old Trainer/Journey ones would bring new life to the series. The only problem is...Game Freak and Nintendo will never completely deviate from what they've found works in keeping young kids entertained and raking in more cash from their fans. As much as I'd love to see Adventure or Platform genre games for Pokemon, the likelihood of such things coming out in the near future is extremely unlikely. Also, I would be interested in seeing more divergent RPGs like the Pokemon Colosseum/XD titles, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, and Pokemon Ranger games, wherein you actually assume the role of someone other than a trainer who's trying to be his/her home region's Pokemon League.

Back