Discussion Okay, Tapu Lele-GX's Price is Outrageous

I think it's almost better to just buy a box and try to pull them but as others have said, if you need them, then just buy them. I'd much rather buy a few boxes of GR and get them that way while growing my collection.

My view on this, is:
If you're looking to compete, buy the singles.

I opened two boxes of Guardians Rising, and didn't get a Lele... so, now I have to spend the money on them anyways.
This was my decision, and I don't regret it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as an alternative.
The only reason I decided on the packs, was because there are a lot of valuable cards in the set.

Of course, If you're looking to collect—or just wanna open packs—go ahead and buy a box!~
Buying a box is also viable if you play PTCGO.

My view on this, is:
If you're looking to compete, buy the singles.

I opened two boxes of Guardians Rising, and didn't get a Lele... so, now I have to spend the money on them anyways.
This was my decision, and I don't regret it, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it as an alternative.
The only reason I decided on the packs, was because there are a lot of valuable cards in the set.

Of course, If you're looking to collect—or just wanna open packs—go ahead and buy a box!~
Buying a box is also viable if you play PTCGO.

Well, I don't really collect but I guess I mean collection as my trade collection. For me, I consider the cost of the card and its rarity before I consider buying singles. For me, when things start to approach that 40 dollar mark, I'd just rather buy a box and try to pull it because if I'm lucky, I get it as well as getting more things to trade but as you have said, you can just get craps. I bought a case of Next Destinies and only got two Mewtwo-EX when it was the thing to have. Of course when it comes to the full art Trainers and other secret rares like the gold Ultra Ball, you just buy them because you aren't going to pull them.

With Tapu Lele-GX being almost 50 bucks for the basic art, I'd just buy a box and hope. It's really hard to say though because if you absolutely need to have them, then you have no choice but to bite the bullet but if you don't need them, then buy boxes is the best way to go about it because a two Tapu Lele-GX box is possible.

I think its a barrier to entry and why Ill likely never get into the physical card game for tournaments. I hate that in order to play pokemon competitively in tournaments you basically have to shell out $200-$300 total but I mean, People spend more on phones, food, etc. Its how much you value being able to do something. If people will shell out $400 to play on a console or computer, Then $300 to make a physical deck of cards to play in tournaments doesn't seem THAT crazy to me.

I think its a barrier to entry and why Ill likely never get into the physical card game for tournaments. I hate that in order to play pokemon competitively in tournaments you basically have to shell out $200-$300 total but I mean, People spend more on phones, food, etc. Its how much you value being able to do something. If people will shell out $400 to play on a console or computer, Then $300 to make a physical deck of cards to play in tournaments doesn't seem THAT crazy to me.
I agree, it comes down to how commited u want to be. Of course you can play in locals and have fun with friends but if you are going to travel to go to regionals, which will cost atkeast 300 a trip assumming yiu are flyijg then you might as well commit 300 to make a playable deck that will give you a realsitic possibility of getting points for NAIC. When I was in high school i was going out of state for tournaments and id make money by selling cards i pulled from packs and all.

Even more interesting is that the devs haven't even considered doing a promo tin for Lele. They'd be printing more money that way than they would from packs alone.

Being new-ish back to Pokemon TCG I was wondering why this card is so expensive as well, but just yesterday found one at a comic shop and pulled the trigger for $38. TCGplayer has them now for $44-46 for regular so I figured I may as well jump. It will be in rotation for a long time now and will see it's play time. As for the buy a card or buy a box, well that really depends on the person. I have a box arriving tomorrow but I do not expect a Lele in it, I had not bought a box for Guardians and want to add more of them to my library of cards. I read comments about spending $300 to build a deck and I know in magic :the gathering you can spend 2-5 times that amount on a deck. It is all about how you play and how much you can comfortably spend on building your deck. The bottom line is enjoying it and if your thing is competing, build the best deck you can and play.

The fate of Tapu Lele remains to be seen. Have a great weekend!

I agree when a card is gnna be around for 2 rotation then 40 bux is good investment. On a card thtd be vital to the efficency of the deck.

Don't bite the bullet on Lele yet. It is very likely VS Seeker could get a reprint as early as SM4 which will drive prices down.

I agree that the price is ridiculous. But there's only one way to stop Leles or any card really from hitting $40 prices without the interference of TCPI (such as an alternative or reprint)

Don't buy them.

The secondary market's prices are fueled by demand for the product. If people don't fork out $40 for a Lele then they cannot sell a Lele for $40. If no one's buying at that price they have to reduce the price of the product to be able to sell them.

I'd say it's probably too late to try and stop the Lele price hike now, and I doubt every single TCG Player will collude to not purchase cards at a certain price or above next time around, but that is the only way the consumers can stop the price from getting ridiculous.

Yea i thmk its too late for ppl to stop the price but would be interesting if vs seeker is reprinted..might buy 3 more secret rare seekers ro get playeset while they are cheap

Honestly, after seeing the example of Shaymin-EX going from a $30 card all the way to an $80 one at it's peak, I expected Tapu Lele-GX to do the same thing since both cards were staples in nearly every single deck with their ability to make anything they were in more consistent. What I did was purchase nearly a total of 20 to 30 of them over time, as ridiculous that that sounds, since I felt like something like this was going to happen. It would be amazing budget-wise if Tapu Lele-GX got a reprint / promo to use for decks, but if Shaymin-EX didn't get the reprint during it's peak, Tapu Lele-GX as the seller of it's set won't either.

I will say it's still unfairly going to be an expensive time for pokemon fans. Main staple of the deck going for a ridiculous price, there's that $80 collection with Rainbow Ho-oh-GX coming in it, and god-forbid the price of Zoroark-GX's peak price once that gets released for it's great ability in a set you can't open under normal means. All I can say is to prepare for the worst scenario in those situations.

Honestly, after seeing the example of Shaymin-EX going from a $30 card all the way to an $80 one at it's peak, I expected Tapu Lele-GX to do the same thing since both cards were staples in nearly every single deck with their ability to make anything they were in more consistent.

Shaymin EX got to almost double the price you listed. There was also a time when on tcgplayer the basic art was more expensive than the full art. The highest I have seen the full art Shaymins were $153. I really doubt that Tapu Lele will do that, and I think it will drop in price after worlds is over.

Shaymin EX got to almost double the price you listed. There was also a time when on tcgplayer the basic art was more expensive than the full art. The highest I have seen the full art Shaymins were $153. I really doubt that Tapu Lele will do that, and I think it will drop in price after worlds is over.
I cant imagine lele price will drop but also dnt think itll ever spike as high as shaymin ex either..i feel about 40 is where regualr art Lele will be at for a while.

Right now, Lele is steadily rising due to worlds being this weekend. The demand is high, so so is the price. It makes sense. It will almost certainly drop after worlds, once people no longer need their Leles as soon as possible.

Right now, Lele is steadily rising due to worlds being this weekend. The demand is high, so so is the price. It makes sense. It will almost certainly drop after worlds, once people no longer need their Leles as soon as possible.

Idk i cant see it hit muxh less than 35. Its not easy to get from packs and decks play 2 to 4 of them...def wont be as low as 20 or 25

The main event at Worlds is not driving prices up. There are a couple hundred people going to worlds, and I imagine that most of them have 3-4+ Leles. The demand comes from a new season.

Lele is gnna be legal for 2 seasons so its value isnt going to really dip anytime soon...feel like it gnna have role as shaymin but not as insane of price

Players going to worlds will already have their copies. No player with their invite is in scramble mode. I will agree now that the price isn't going to be lower than maybe 30-35. I've never been to Worlds so maybe there is something else I don't understand that is driving up the price but if the end of the season is the reason, why isn't the price of other highly wanted cards not going up?

I just don't like that they do this with cards that are blatantly intended to be every deck staples. We're getting a ($100!) Shaymin box now that Shaymin isn't really relevant anymore. And you can't tell me they didn't know what they were making with Shaymin considering it's just a nerfed Uxie which was also used in every single deck.

Having such a huge money card in just one set doesn't drive pack sales like they think it does, it will drive the sales of Guardians Rising boxes at the expense of all other sets until Guardians rotates, just like Shaymin did with ROS. Making the game fun and having a wide range of chase cards in each set with a couple of big winner cards like SR DCE/SR Ultras would be better for aggregate pack sales.

I just don't like that they do this with cards that are blatantly intended to be every deck staples. We're getting a ($100!) Shaymin box now that Shaymin isn't really relevant anymore. And you can't tell me they didn't know what they were making with Shaymin considering it's just a nerfed Uxie which was also used in every single deck.

Having such a huge money card in just one set doesn't drive pack sales like they think it does, it will drive the sales of Guardians Rising boxes at the expense of all other sets until Guardians rotates, just like Shaymin did with ROS. Making the game fun and having a wide range of chase cards in each set with a couple of big winner cards like SR DCE/SR Ultras would be better for aggregate pack sales.
I agree, they should go by other means to boost packs sales like ultra ball and DCE SR..i dnt mind 30is dollar card bc that isnt terrible but they def could make lele a bit more commin to be pulled. Bought a box of GRI and didnt get 1, which was def a bummer.

Back