Help Not a beginner, but looking to get into the Nitty Gritty of TCG (Building more advanced decks)

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Forever have I been a budget player, but if I wish for success, that is no more, I know how to play, I've got the money (Somewhat) and I'll tell you a few key things of what I want to know, Help on finalizing a Competitive Meta Deck for myself, etc.

Deck Qualifications-
- Can afford 2 Lele (MAX)
- I want something that can compete
- Want something within 100- 175
- Looking within the cards of the newer sets for an archetype (Something not quite previously established. Example- Zoroark, Turtonator {ish}, etc)
- Not to hard to pick up and play (Although I'm willing to practice at it)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little FYI is that the last deck I've used competitively was Mega Manectric, w/1 Shaymin EX (Went a period with 0 Shaymin EX, lol...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What I know-
I know how to play
I know more advanced techniques (Card baiting, Guzma/ Lysandre trapping, etc)
Know the general Meta game (need a slight refresher)

Thanks, AFEX

P.S. (Looking in the deck realms of Garde, Zoroark, Golisopod, Decidueye, and (randomly) Turtonator GX along with most cards from CRI.

Last edited:
For me metagross Gx has been amazing. In masters I've gotten second at a league cup and won a league cup with this same list but with an extra N instead of the oranguru

Pokemon
4 Beldum GRI
3 Metang GRI
4 Metagross GX GRI
2 Tapu Lele GX GRI
1 alolan vulpix
1 Oranguru
1 Giratina XY Promo 184
2 Necrozma GX Burning Shadows

Trainers
3 Choice band
2 N
4 Max Potion
1 Rescue Stretcher
2 Brigette
4 Ultra Ball
3 Field Blower
4 Guzma
3 Rare Candy
4 Professor Sycamore

Energies
7 Metal
5 Psychic

I have found that the Oranguru replacing the N works great for draw support and helps against the new Hoopa.

Hope this helps!!

Won a TCGO tourney last night with it, I too recommend meta, instead of the 3rd lele maybe another N

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Zorua
* 1 Zoroark-GX
* 4 Beldum
* 3 Metang
* 4 Metagross-GX
* 1 Necrozma-GX
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 N
* 1 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Choice Band
* 1 Professor's Letter
* 4 Rare Candy
* 2 Brigette
* 3 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Guzma
* 1 Skyla
* 3 Field Blower
* 4 Max Potion
* 4 Ultra Ball

##Energy - 10

* 6 Metal Energy
* 4 Psychic Energy

Total Cards - 60

Won a TCGO tourney last night with it, I too recommend meta, instead of the 3rd lele maybe another N

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Zorua
* 1 Zoroark-GX
* 4 Beldum
* 3 Metang
* 4 Metagross-GX
* 1 Necrozma-GX
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX
* 1 Alolan Vulpix GRI

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 N
* 1 Rescue Stretcher
* 3 Choice Band
* 1 Professor's Letter
* 4 Rare Candy
* 2 Brigette
* 3 Professor Sycamore
* 3 Guzma
* 1 Skyla
* 3 Field Blower
* 4 Max Potion
* 4 Ultra Ball

##Energy - 10

* 6 Metal Energy
* 4 Psychic Energy

Total Cards - 60

looks interesting, might have to try it.

I personally do not play the real card game, only TCGO, so I'm not sure about the difference in meta IRL other then that Greninja BREAK is never used IRL. Here are a few things I've learned from TCGO:

- Metagross is kinda overrated. I play it a lot (and win a lot too) but it's either a really good matchup or a really bad matchup. It's absolutely demolished by anything that has the potential to OHKO Metagross, but wrecks almost anything that can't OHKO, especially the decks that depend on 2HKOs. It's also wrecked by really fast decks that can kill your Beldums and Metangs before they can evolve.
- Gardevoir is good. I also play it a lot, and it works. My average WLR with most of my decks is 2:1, but with Garde it's around 6:1. Gardevoir isn't necessarily "wrecked" by any decks, not even Metagross, because there's the potential to do any amount of damage. Also as far as I'm concerned, Gardevoir GX isn't too expensive IRL and doesn't really need more than 2 Leles.
- Volcanion is quite inconsistent, though I don't necessarily play it enough to make judgments. It's usually really hard for me to get a turn 1 Kiawe, despite the fact that I run Lele, 4 UBs, and 2 Kiawe. And quite often whenever I am able to get turn 1 Kiawe, I don't have anything in play that can benefit from that (unless you consider Lele). However, whenever you are able to set up, it's beast and also has potential to OHKO anything. Also, it hits Metagross for weakness and I'm pretty sure that Metagross is really commonly used IRL.
- Lapras Box is really easy to use, but not the best of decks. It's cheap and doesn't usually need more than 1 Lele, but it's been slacking lately due to the decline of Volcanion players. I used to play Lapras Box alot, and I remember liking it a lot.
- With ULP on the horizon, I think Garchomp is gonna see a lot of play as a rogue deck. I've posted a decklist on Garchomp/Lucario in Expanded (so you can use VS Seeker for Cynthia), and I'm excited for it. However, I highly doubt it's going to be a top tier deck in Standard due to the fact that it's alot harder to recycle Cynthia.
- Garbodor decks are insane. Buzzwole Garbodor is probably my current favorite deck, as it's really fun to slowly wittle your opponent's board, then just sweep late game. Golisopod Garbodor is probably gonna see an even larger amount of play as it's a 1 energy attacking deck and Palkia GX is on the horizon now. Overall, I think Garbodor is one of the best and most annoying archetypes.

If you want to get competitive, most Zoroark GX variants are fairly decent. Golisopod GX/Zoroark GX, Decidueye GX/Zoroark GX, and Lycanroc GX/Zoroark GX are all decks worth considering. Keep in mind the upcoming USUM is releasing in Feb. so plan ahead if you build a deck like Gardevoir GX, and then suddenly discover that Solgaleo GX is Metal type ;).

Specific decks that fit your description would probably be Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX since you seem to have an interest in that (based on an earlier discussion). It is a little expensive (with all of the GXs, promos, etc.), but I have really enjoyed it. There are two variants that I know of, Evosoda and Rare Candy. Both are different ways of setting up Decidueye GX, but either works in my opinion. Just a matter of figuring out what you like best. I think you already know my specific list (which is the Rare Candy version), so I won't post it here. If you want the Evosoda version, switch out the Rare Candys for Evosodas and add a few more Dartrix and there you go! If you need help building any other deck, just let me know, I'd be happy to lend a hand. Good luck!

Back