Discussion No DDE, Dragonair's time to shine?

redandblack2

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Everyone is mourning the loss of Double Dragon Energy in the rotation, and with it, the apparent death of the dragon type cards in competitive play. However, is a solution Dragonair SUM? With Dragon's Wish allowing you to attach energy of all kinds, it can help power those dragons, itself being one as well, along with an evolution that can quickly evolve to it.

I realize that it is a much poorer counterpart to DDE, but it's sad to think that dragons are entirely out (especially with the powerhouse that is Noivern GX once it gets moving), would TPCi allow this?

Then again, Crimson invasion may give us a dragon-type Guzzlord GX, is it possible we'll get a reprint in the set as well?

I think we'll get a reprint of it at some point. Dragonair just isn't consistent. You have to evolve it, use it's attack, and then hope you have enough energy in your hand to take advantage of it next turn. It can be a gamble. Plus, with Gardevoir rising to the top of The Meta, Dragon-type decks are even more unplayable. It'd be nice to see them show some love to Dragon-type decks in future sets though.

Gardevoir makes running a dragon centric deck of any kind very, very questionable. Dragon cards just don't have a place in the meta at all, even with DDE there's not much reason to run them. Noivern isn't really that good either tbh.

The main issue with dragons is we need dragon type cards actually worth playing. With the game slowing down multicolor decks get a little more viable but there's still the issue of consistency to power ratio. Multicolor decks used to be pretty common from base set all of the way into DP era but they never really used cards that needed two different energy types to attack, that represents a much higher deck investment.

I could see them reprinting DDE, I could see them printing a supporter that says something like 'search your deck for two basic energy cards and attach them to your dragon type pokemon in any way you like' but both of those are just bandaid solutions. We just need someone designing dragon cards who can think big picture about what kind of cards exist around dragons with their particular costs and how to create some synergies between dragon cards and cards they share energy needs with.

Yeah I agree with what people are saying. I really like Noivern-GX but there is just no reason to play it after rotation with no DDE and Gardevoir being so popular. So i'm going to try playing Noivern in the expanded format. I think it has potential. Just got to play test and find the right list.

Dragon is my favorite type and didnt get to enjoy DDR with Giratina EX all that much sadly...if you want to play item lock deck uou are better off playing trevenant break in expanded

Back