• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Nihilego GX/A. Muk GX

Sharkrai

Aspiring Trainer
So I'm really interested in the whole nihilego gx idea and trying it out competitively. This definitely is on the budget side of decks as it doesn't contain cards like tapu lele gx, but this was kind of the idea I had, lmk what you guys think!

Pokemon (15):
3x Nihilego GX CRI 49 (pretty much the center of the deck imo)
3x A. Grimer BUS 83
2x A. Muk GX BUS 84 (the other star, thought a 3-2 line would be good because of the mew ex)
2x Mew EX DRX 46/LTR RC24 (a good tech and energy mobility attack)
2x Hoopa SLG 55 (a non-gx/ex attacker with the baby ninetales ability)
1x Necrozma GX BUS 63
2x a.vulpix GRI 21 (for now it's more to fill space and it's usual role in other decks)

Trainers (31):
2x Sea of Nothingness
3x Altar of the Moone

4x Ultraball
2x Choice Band
2x Fighting Fury Belt
2x Field Blower

3x Guzma (Switch)
3x Professor Sycamore (draw)
2x Lusamine (retrieval)
2x Skyla (acceleration)
2x N (draw and disruption)
1x Wicke (draw and disruption)
1x Acerola (scoop up)
1x Brigette (set up)
1x Pokemon Center Lady (heal, especially special conditions)

Energy (14):
6x Psychic
4x Dark
2x DCE
2x Rainbow

So with nihilego and a. muk as the main roles, I put mew ex in since it's a good psychic tech from what I can tell that could gain mobility from the altar of the moone as well as use moves from the field, hence the rainbow energy. Mew is also why I did a 3-2 line for muk. I like the whole baby ninetales as well since it's gotten me far, so having a basic dark ver. of that as hoopa seems like a great addition, not only to wall gx/ex, but also as a non-gx/ex attacker in case anyone uses their own baby ninetales or hoopa to name a couple. Necrozma is definitely a one of, but it reinforces attack power. A. Vulpix is a favorite so I kind of just added it in for now, though it could definitely be replaced if needed since a. grimer technically has a similar move, but is more specialized to...grimers... I did consider baby muk, but it really interferes with all of the other pokemon in the deck so I opted out of using it as a tech.
As for trainers, altar of moone of course feels like a necessity here, and sea of nothingness helps back up a.muk when it's trying to get its attacks in. I've kept the overall items on the lower side as well since garbodor is gaining momentum again. Lusamine is to get back supporters of course, as well as to get back any essential stadiums that have been field blowered off into the discard. I put 2 N and a wicke because one I have lusamine, but two, I've found that wicke can become instrumental if you don't want to risk letting your opponent get an upper hand. I am also considering raising it to two wicke. Last, Pokemon center lady is more for heal, and recovering from the poison and confusion from nihilego if needed, but I haven't tested it out so not sure yet on if I'll keep it.
That about sums up what I was thinking when making this. Let me know if there are any questions, and any advice is welcome! Is there any suggestions on changes if this were played in expanded as well? And I know lillie is growing in popularity, but does she have a place here? Thanks!

Very card that I have found someone else that believes in Alolan Muk, but this deck needs a lot of fine-tuning. For me:

+ 1 Alolan Grimer
+2 Alolan Muk-GX (should certainly be main attacker)
+1 Nihilego-GX (shouldn’t be attacking)
+2 Choice Band (very useful)
+2 DCE
+1 Professor Sycamore (consistency)
+2 N (consistency)
+2 Acerola (Muk is tanky so this is useful)
+4 Super Scoop Up (picks up your jellyfish and just very handy)
+2 Enhanced Hammer (your biggest enemy will be Buzzwole which will be armed with Strong Energy)
+3 Dark (easier to draw into)

-6 Psychic Energy (don’t attack with Nihilego)
- 2 Rainbow Energy (ditto)
- 1 Necrozma-GX (why Necrozma?)
-2 Hoopa (again, just doesn’t seem functionally useful)
-1 Alolan Vulpix (still nice to have but isn’t crucial)
-1 Wicke (probably the worst supporter ever printed)
-1 PCL (you have enough to heal off)
-1 Brigette (if you don’t run Lele there is no real point
-3 Altar of the Moone
-2 Sea of Nothingness (neither stadium is useful or consistent)
-1 Mew-EX (great idea for this deck but only 1 is necessary)

Very card that I have found someone else that believes in Alolan Muk, but this deck needs a lot of fine-tuning. For me:

+ 1 Alolan Grimer
+2 Alolan Muk-GX (should certainly be main attacker)
+1 Nihilego-GX (shouldn’t be attacking)
+2 Choice Band (very useful)
+2 DCE
+1 Professor Sycamore (consistency)
+2 N (consistency)
+2 Acerola (Muk is tanky so this is useful)
+4 Super Scoop Up (picks up your jellyfish and just very handy)
+2 Enhanced Hammer (your biggest enemy will be Buzzwole which will be armed with Strong Energy)
+3 Dark (easier to draw into)

-6 Psychic Energy (don’t attack with Nihilego)
- 2 Rainbow Energy (ditto)
- 1 Necrozma-GX (why Necrozma?)
-2 Hoopa (again, just doesn’t seem functionally useful)
-1 Alolan Vulpix (still nice to have but isn’t crucial)
-1 Wicke (probably the worst supporter ever printed)
-1 PCL (you have enough to heal off)
-1 Brigette (if you don’t run Lele there is no real point
-3 Altar of the Moone
-2 Sea of Nothingness (neither stadium is useful or consistent)
-1 Mew-EX (great idea for this deck but only 1 is necessary)

I'll look closer at editing in a couple days once my exams are over, but just to kind of look at these edits (thanks first for the this, and keep in mind this is more of my opinion than anything), I was looking at nihilego's gx attack and wanted to utilize that, hence I saw a. muk gx was probably the best option since it can utilize the ability best from what I can tell? The rainbow energy were actually for mew and having a bit more...free reign?... on the field. The necrozma was kind of just more of a fun thing, but again, looking at competitive, I guess it's better to have consistency over that. Hoopa is because chances are very high that you'll need some kind of non-gx/ex attacker considering there's a lot of decks using baby ninetales out there, and that would keep opponents with baby ninetales from completely shutting you down. Looking at it though, it definitely could be cut down to 1 (originally listed 2 for consistency). Brigette and sea of nothingness I can see why, but since we have guzma, I feel like it would be a good idea to run either float stone or altar of the moone for the mobility? Wicke I have to stand by though. I have tested her enough times in decks that having at least one was super useful because I could keep my opponent at let's say 1 card in the hand and still get a fresh hand without having to discard a whole ton. Other than that, I can see where most of your edits are coming from, so again, thanks!

Don't forget Chaos Tower for Nihilego GX doesn't poison/ confuse your own active Pokemon!

Wicke I have to stand by though. I have tested her enough times in decks that having at least one was super useful because I could keep my opponent at let's say 1 card in the hand and still get a fresh hand without having to discard a whole ton. Other than that, I can see where most of your edits are coming from, so again, thanks!

Unfortunately Wicke is a poor shuffle draw. Until we get the new Cynthia card you'd be better served with either Shauna or Lillie. Wicke just isn't worth your supporter for the turn.

Don't forget Chaos Tower for Nihilego GX doesn't poison/ confuse your own active Pokemon!
I completely forgot about that card!! and yeah, I will admit I do prefer lillie over wicke, no matter how useful wicke has been. Cynthia will be in ultra prism, right?

cards that are needed for the deck is 4-3 grimer/muk, 4 nihilego, 4 choice band, 3-4 chaos tower.
scoop up/acerola or ninja boy are all potential resources for re using nihilegos ability.
in my list I also play a 1 of darkrai gx for the insta kill.

a Zoroark-GX is a great addition if you play A-Muk-GX and Nihilego-GX, definitly use Chaos Tower for maximum effect. I play that deck and added 2 seviper to fill bench space and add extra poison damage. Its sometime a bit slower to setup in a game, but once its rolling, its pretty damn good. I use Nihilego-GX attack to add 2 prize card and offset the slow start of that deck. I find rainbow energy and acerola to be more reliable at picking back Nihilego than super scoop up.

Last edited:
Back