Night March

Completely forgot about how good this deck is/can be. Picked it up for the first time I can remember since rotation happened. Ended up taking 1st out of 10 or 12 people. I was rather worried I would have to play the Greninja BREAK deck that showed up. Has anyone had experience against it? If so, what's the matchup like?

Completely forgot about how good this deck is/can be. Picked it up for the first time I can remember since rotation happened. Ended up taking 1st out of 10 or 12 people. I was rather worried I would have to play the Greninja BREAK deck that showed up. Has anyone had experience against it? If so, what's the matchup like?
I believe Night March has a pretty good matchup against Greninja. A Greninja deck requires a good start or will face a pretty easy loss to just about any deck. A Night March deck, however, almost always has an explosive turn one start. This puts immediate pressure on the opponent, regardless of their start. If you can prevent your opponent from using Frogadier's Water Duplicates attack early on in the game, it is pretty much an automatic win for you already. If your opponent does start getting Greninjas into play, a Hex Maniac simply shuts them down. If the need arises, keep using Hex Maniac turn after turn.

In addition to what @SaliosGnome has said - Fighting Fury Belt is a fantastic addition for Night March. In the Greninja matchup it stops your benched Joltik from getting OHKO'd by a Water Shuriken and it stops your Pumpkaboo from getting OHKO'd by a Giant Water Shuriken.

Hi Pokebeach, I'm currently a Night March player preparing for States, and I was wondering whether it's worth it running Parallel City over Dimensional Valley, or doing a split. Any advice is appreciated.

I'm curious why you would like to run Parallel City. How exactly does it help your matchups? Dimension Valley is an amazing card for Night March as it allows Pumpkaboos to hit for [C][C] while Mews for [C], but perhaps you have another reason.

I'm curious why you would like to run Parallel City. How exactly does it help your matchups? Dimension Valley is an amazing card for Night March as it allows Pumpkaboos to hit for [C][C] while Mews for [C], but perhaps you have another reason.
This would be as a one of tech card. I forgot to clarify that I was talking in terms of Standard. Parallel City could be useful to get rid of a Benched Shaymin-EX I have, and it's a useful cards in general.

This would be as a one of tech card. I forgot to clarify that I was talking in terms of Standard. Parallel City could be useful to get rid of a Benched Shaymin-EX I have, and it's a useful cards in general.
Could be a useful 1-of in that case, if you have space. The other option would be AZ, if you can use up a supporter that turn.

The logic behind it makes sense, and there will be times where you have joltik set up that you don't need the D (valley). But I've never seen a nightmarch list that wasn't tight on space. So what would you make the cut for?

Maybe one catcher?

Overall it won't help in a mirror or against V/V that runs target whistle.

Hi, I am currently planning on playing Night March for States, and I was wondering on how to improve the Manectric / Bats matchup. The only idea I have is streaming Hex Maniac or possibly playing Pyroar. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

definitely not Pyroar, a 2-2 line and maybe 1-2 fire energy take you 6 valuable shots at least, it hurts both speed and consistency.

Imo Hex maniac and fightingfury belt improve the Manectric/bat (Batman) match up already, same goes for Greninja which does damages by ability.

I still feel Giratina EX is the most threatening card towards NM, no matter Toad/Tina or Giratina/vileplume.

Yeah VS bats you kinda need to sacrafice as many as you can to bats (Joltik obv) and Hex when you can, I played a BATMAN deck today and managed to beat it with 2 prizes to spare on my opponent, It was only BO1 though.

For the FC, I took out a Shaymin and a Judge and added 4 Mew, 2 Psychic Energy and 2 N. Thoughts?

I think 4 is way excessive, 2-3 should be good.

I am a bit unsureof adding Mew to night march, for 2 reasons:
1. 2-3 Mew and 2 basic energy take up lots of spaces, which slow the deck down and hurt consistency.
2. the original night march already has the answer to every problem it faces, puzzle of time to recover DCE and valuable resource, Hex maniac to deal with Aegislash EX, Xerosic and enhanced hammer for Giratina EX. yes, Mew seems to do well if the above situation too, but I don't see it makes the deck better.

maybe Mew is more for those EX based deck, e.g. Manectric EX and sceptile EX, who don't want to lose the prize trade when facing non EX decks.

I'm somewhat new to the game. I have most/ access to most of the standard deck. My question is, can Shaymin EX be replaced with anything cheaper? I know it gives more consistency to the deck and another pokemon to utilize. The problem is I don't have an extra $150 to use for the Shaymin.

I'm somewhat new to the game. I have most/ access to most of the standard deck. My question is, can Shaymin EX be replaced with anything cheaper? I know it gives more consistency to the deck and another pokemon to utilize. The problem is I don't have an extra $150 to use for the Shaymin.
The only thing that's kinda close is Octillery from BreakThrough, But honestly it does not compare to the power of shaymin.
The idea of Night March is to be super fast at setting up to overpower your opponent, running Octillery and having to evolve him slows the deck down dramatically.

The only thing that's kinda close is Octillery from BreakThrough, But honestly it does not compare to the power of shaymin.
The idea of Night March is to be super fast at setting up to overpower your opponent, running Octillery and having to evolve him slows the deck down dramatically.
I have to disagree. Although Octillery is slower and can make your deck a little clunkier, if you run perhaps a 2-2 line you should get it set up turn 2 and be able to have some very nice consistent draw, which is arguably better than Shaymin-EX. The important thing Octillery doesnt provide and Shaymin-EX does is the explosive Turn 1/Turn 2 starts that can allow you to hit for 200 damage very quickly, instead bringing that to Turn 2/Turn 3.

I've tried running a 2-2 line in my deck when I first started and it honestly just did not work, I went to a local league where people were using Shaymins and the difference was night and day.. I pretty much got 3 Shaymin a couple of days after that.. I haven't looked back.. and realistically if you wanna be competitive in ptcg Shaymin are a staple to any deck so if you're serious about playing you may as well go buy them.

Also on your comment, you don't need a consistent draw in NM, you should only need explosive draw for the first 2 turns and at that point you should have used most of your deck setting up and you can just play normally and trade prizes.

There is lots of discarding in NM you'll probably end up discarding your Octillery and you've gotta use 2 ultra balls just to set him up. it's not ideal.

Octillary is not the Shaymin EX substitute, not even close. Night march needs that exposive T1 that may hit 180, Octillary although draws more cards per game than Shaymin EX, just couldn't do that.

The only competitive deck that can run with zero Shaymin EX is Greninja/Octillery so far.

In addition to what @SaliosGnome has said - Fighting Fury Belt is a fantastic addition for Night March. In the Greninja matchup it stops your benched Joltik from getting OHKO'd by a Water Shuriken and it stops your Pumpkaboo from getting OHKO'd by a Giant Water Shuriken.

Speaking of Fighting Fury Belt, doesn't that Tool Card also put a lot of EXs out of Night March's OHKO range? Let's say that, atm, the Night March deck has 4 Lampents, 2 Joltiks, and 2 Phantumps in the Discard with a Muscle Band Joltik/Pumpkaboo on the field ready to attack a 170 HP EX. That's 180 damage already, but Fighting Fury Belt makes it so that you have to sacrifice 2 more Night Marchers or even 3 more depending on circumstances in order to OHKO a normal EX with Fighting Fury Belt without exposing weaknesses. That diffuses a lot of Night March's offensive potential and leaves it more vulnerable, even if the deck can just recycle resources with Puzzle of Time.

Speaking of Fighting Fury Belt, doesn't that Tool Card also put a lot of EXs out of Night March's OHKO range? Let's say that, atm, the Night March deck has 4 Lampents, 2 Joltiks, and 2 Phantumps in the Discard with a Muscle Band Joltik/Pumpkaboo on the field ready to attack a 170 HP EX. That's 180 damage already, but Fighting Fury Belt makes it so that you have to sacrifice 2 more Night Marchers or even 3 more depending on circumstances in order to OHKO a normal EX with Fighting Fury Belt without exposing weaknesses. That diffuses a lot of Night March's offensive potential and leaves it more vulnerable, even if the deck can just recycle resources with Puzzle of Time.
Xerosic and startling megaphone are in many lists to provide such a solution.

Back