Discussion New Rogue Decks using Ancient Origin Cards!

A few deck ideas that i have came up with for standard once rotation hits. Some may be obvious some may not be.

Lucario EX + Machamp/Maxxie Hidden Ball Trick - I use this religiously and it is very good.

Seismitoad/Greninja EX + Greninja/Ace In The Hole - A combination of Jacob the Champ and Seismibats. I would not be surprised if this deck takes off. AKA "BattleToads" AKA "Ninja Turtles"

M Sceptile + Dusknoir - I have made posts on reddit and here about this deck idea. I think it will be relatively strong.

Reshiram (Turboblaze) + M Charizard + Blacksmith + DCE/DDE = turn 1 death. I haven't flirted with this too much. But it seems really dumb good. Remind you either work but the M Charizard Dragon Type is better because 8 double energy.

A few deck ideas that i have came up with for standard once rotation hits. Some may be obvious some may not be.

Reshiram (Turboblaze) + M Charizard + Blacksmith + DCE/DDE = turn 1 death. I haven't flirted with this too much. But it seems really dumb good. Remind you either work but the M Charizard Dragon Type is better because 8 double energy.
What about AT Entei. Double Muscle band Blacksmith and DCE for 170 damage turn one. I tested this and it works surprisingly well and capable of competing against EX and non-EX decks.

A competetor for most convoluted rogue deck,

Wailord/whimscott/dustox

Wailord to stall, then when it has enough damage, you switch (fairy garden) into whimscott who transfers the damage over to their main from wailord, then you probably loose whimscott to retaliation (as the idea is not to kill the opponent with the wailord damage counters, just leave them very weak), then you bring up wailord, then you escape rope their damage pokemon to the bench, bring up dustox and KO for three prizes.

The first time i saw that video i thought it was a pretty good deck. but red cards and ace trainers make it a pretty weak deck.
I'm wrecking people at my league with this deck. Literally. I have never seen a Red Card played. Ace Trainers? Retreat Metagross and restart to draw cards heavily with Kangaskhan-EX or Deoxys from you bench, both with Lucky Helmet attached. In like 2 turns you will have again a full hand of cards.

That sounds pretty good tbh. Can you post a list?
I would add that Shaymin makes this deck very consistent but I wanted to keep this deck from giving too many prizes or any Lysandre bate so I chose not to include it, but it all comes down to the person playing it. I would also like to add that the tools used in this deck should be based on what your local meta is.
(12 Pokemon)
3 Entei (AT)
1 Entei
4 Zubat
3 Golbat
1 Crobat

(12 Energy)
4 DCE
8 Fire Energy

(36 Trainers)

3 Scorched Earth
2 Sycamore
1 Lysandre
3 Blacksmith
3 Shauna
1 Energy Retrieval
2 Repeat Ball
2 Vs Seeker
2 Battle Compressor
2 Switch
3 Fiery Torch
4 Trainers Mail
2 Acro Bike
2 Hard Charm
4 Muscle Band

How about Full Retaliation Gyarados and Team Magma's Secret Base with Max Revives, Dive Balls, Level Balls, Unown-Ancient Origins, and Shaymin EX. If you get two benched Magikarp with two damage counts each, your Gyarados hits for 150 dmg and gets to use two items thanks to theta double. Lucky Helmet, Hard Charm and Muscle Bands.

How about Full Retaliation Gyarados and Team Magma's Secret Base with Max Revives, Dive Balls, Level Balls, Unown-Ancient Origins, and Shaymin EX. If you get two benched Magikarp with two damage counts each, your Gyarados hits for 150 dmg and gets to use two items thanks to theta double. Lucky Helmet, Hard Charm and Muscle Bands.

I played this deck with a 2-2 Vespiquen and 2-2 Flareon line at League this week and it did really well. I ran 3 Muscle Bands, 2 Lucky Helmets and 1 Eco-Arm, as well as Fire Energy and Blacksmith as an alternative to using DCEs all the time. Getting the two benched Karps is really easy with Level Ball, and Trainer's Mail helps you get the Magma Base up very reliably.

A big weakness is having that Shaymin on your bench with only 90HP, but I think it's a fair tradeoff when you're taking out things left right and centre with Gyarados. Definitely my pick for favourite AOR rogue deck.

I also went back and looked through cards that are legal in expanded that could use giant plant forest and have made probably the most entertaining deck I've played in a very long time, which is Beedrill from Plasma Freeze, only using it for its first attack which reads:

G - 20+ If this Pokémon has full HP, this attack does 40 more damage, and the Defending Pokémon is now Confused and Poisoned.

switching between giant plant forest and virbank you can get beedrills into play on the first turn quite a lot, fill the bench with them and constantly switch them out when damaged with their free retreat, waiting for max potions or herbal energies. not a competitive deck really although I have taken out some top archetypes, Toad really doesnt enjoy it since with a silver bangle Beedrill gets the OHKO's. Giant Plant Forest is the only real ancient origins addition though but it is the card that makes it so much more viable and consistent, with level balls to search out all but the beedrills. looking to find room for damage swap Reuniclus or Shadow Void dusknoir though so I don't have to discard energy healing since I only run about 7 in total (with super rods to shuffle beedrill line and energy back if needs be)

I played this deck a lot before Ancient Origins, and I will confirm: It's a lot of fun. Also, add in Dragalge, so they have to either attack with confusion, or use switch, and it gets pretty nasty.

Anybody have a good grass type that can fit in Golurk?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the various waters running around

Anybody have a good grass type that can fit in Golurk?

I'm having a lot of trouble with the various waters running around

Vespiquen (which also has a lot of rogue deck potential).

As for the Golurk/Eeveelution ones, an overlooked combo is Flareon/Blacksmith. Golurks can be hard to stream consistently and blacksmith provides some acceleration. You could probably still run Strong Energy, DCE, and Dimension Valley.

I think there's a lot that can be done with Ariados. There's Sceptile EX, but there's also Machamp EX which can benefit from being poisoned.

Vespiquen (which also has a lot of rogue deck potential).

As for the Golurk/Eeveelution ones, an overlooked combo is Flareon/Blacksmith. Golurks can be hard to stream consistently and blacksmith provides some acceleration. You could probably still run Strong Energy, DCE, and Dimension Valley.

I think there's a lot that can be done with Ariados. There's Sceptile EX, but there's also Machamp EX which can benefit from being poisoned.

Yea I've tried running black smith, but it seems pretty inconsistent right now. I'm not getting the draw supporters when I need it.

I run 4 Sycamores, 2 Birches and 4 Vs seekers.

Thinking about dropping the Black Smiths for more Birches.

Some great ideas there guys, I'm already looking at building Golurk+Eeveelutions as that seems like such a broad way to shut down people. Especially with all the fighting stadiums and strong energies go lurk can benefit from.

I like the way you think about the ace trainer, because of course it would shuffle the prize into his deck as well. That's cunning.

I hadn't even considered Rotom, but you make a great case for it.

I love nanette from RoS I built my fiancée a deck to mess about with one day and she came pretty high at a local tournament just by denying evolution, so paired with vileplume? I see that being a thing she might enjoy playing again. It's one of our favourite pokemon too, so I can definitely see me putting that together when I get bored of my giritina/vileplume deck.

I feel like this set released so much more than roaring skies did in the way of new deck types (good and bad)

Don't forget, Hex Manic, will force the removal of strong energies if you use them on Golurk

Issue with banette/vileplume, low dmg output, most decks will have basics that deal enough dmg to out play the deck. Before whimsicott came out I wanted to play it into a deck, and currently do. Golurk isn't really rogue it's pretty tier based atm people do build decks to beat it, I'd like to say that machamp is rogue but it's fairly popular so it's already tier slated. So essentially if your thinking about teching against a deck then in a way it's not really rogue.

A deck that I would think to be rouge would be porygon Z\fortress or bats. Digital reboot could make for a fairly offensive technical attack w\o having to deal with ariados, tech weakness policy in the deck for miltank and proygon and you have your matchup with fighting decks.

I've faced decks using eeveelutions/paired with Dugtrio xy on tcgone. strong energy/fighting stadium/muscle band makes it easy to hit the magic 100 (or even 120). eeveelutions alone open up a lot of possibilities.

You know, having 30HP weakened benched Pokémon is very risky, you Lysandre 'em, kill 'em and Gyarados cannot hit the magic numbers anymore... and it's damage output is still pretty low, considering that there are lots of megas in the format that can absorb the damage and 1hko it back... I faced a lot of Full Retaliation Gyarados decks and I always laughed at them.

I'd Lysandre out the Gyarados that is bench building if I was you. :p
In all honesty, I'd just use bats. They'd kill mercilessly.

I like M Ampharos/Crobat/Vileplume, basically bringing up a pokemon, parylzing it until it is knocked out, using the crobat to do damage to their bench, and vileplume to shut down cards like full heal and switch.

My personal AO rogue is easily Giratina/Crobat. I love Giratina EX, but he suffers from a lack of damage output, and even with faded town, hex maniac and if they can set up fast enough silent lab can obliterate his match up against megas. crobat gives him the damage support he needs, allowing you to 1HKO 170HP EXs, set up easier KOs on Megas with faded town, all on top of providing a solid lock.

There are too many good decks to play listed on this on this board.
I don't know about you, but I am starting to play a bit more rougish with my trainers.

In the old days I really relied on the standard 4 sycamor or 4 N's. Then, when we moved to the new meta, I relied on Birch's and Sycamor in that line up.
But now my decks rely on 4 unowns, 3 or 2 shaymins, and a Hoopa depending on the deck for draw support, so my trainer selection is a bit a more wonky in my decks, but seems to consistently work.

Skeleton Trainers Supporters
1 AZ
1 Hex Maniac
1 Ace Trainer
2 Lysanders
2 Sycamors
1 Battle Reporter
1 Shauna or Birch -- Depends on my mood.

Skeleton Trainer Items
4 VS seekers
4 Trainer Mails
4 Ultra Balls
1 or 2 Battle Compressors
2 Level Balls

This is a bit more rouge for me on the trainers but the idea is to try and always get a card in your hand for draw support.
AZ - AZ is great for for picking up hoopa or shaymins
1 hex Manica -- It is one of my favorite things to do - Play my shay. and get everything setup and then Hex my opponent on their first turn.
It offsets their draw support on first turn.
1 Ace Trainer -- Just a good end of game card that throws the opponent off a bit, or begining game card if an Unown gets knocked out.
2 Lysanders -- enough said
2 Sycamors -- enough said
1 Battle Reporter -- This card is hilarious. Everybody is always trying to get big hands so you just toss this out and lots of cards fall your way.
1 Shauna/Birch -- enough said.

VS Seekers - This is old but you can battle compress into a supporter then VS Seeker it.
Trainers Mails - Most overpowered trainer there is. You dig four deep and your bound to hit a level ball, Ultra ball, Vs seeker, Supporter, or Battle Compressor
Ultra ball -- It's for the Shaymins
Battle Compressor -- See VS Seeker
Level Ball -- This is a relatively new trick, and with a couple of spaces left of on the bench it is fun to pull off. Play level ball for unown, leave unown on your bench then ultra ball for shaymin and draw into 6 and then Farwell letter and take 1 more. You just syscamored. With Trainer mail you can pull off the combo pretty consistently.

Anyways, I know this thread was about rouge decks/pokemon, but my trainers have been becoming more and more roguish because of AO, so I thought I would share. Sorry if I slid off topic.

PTCGO Poke4trade

Back