New Player - Looking For Some General Advice

ninjakat276

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, I've played competative yugioh for a bit, but I don't think I will play it for much longer. As I've always loved card games I thought about giving pokemon a go. So what I'm asking is can anyone give me some advice or link me to a page made to help out new players? Also is their a a browser variant of the pokemon TCG (like dueling network used to be for people that played yugioh aswell.

There isn't a browser version of TCG that I am aware of. The app though is generally very good and available for android/ios, mac and windows.

I would suggest go watching some videos from the net, there are plenty of good ones. Or you can run the tutorials in the app, they take you through the basics, then you will want to read the various articles on here.

Youtube channels that give good up to date decks and card info:

PCTG Radio
Yellow Swellow
Fish Knuckles

There's not a browser variant that you would play in internet explorer or chrome (Or your browser choice), but there is a PC program. Pokémon Trading Card Game Online, commonly referred to as PTCGO. It's also available on some iOS and Android devices, tablets only as far as I know. You can start out with the free training decks, but if you get into it you'll want to be able to build your own eventually. Once nice thing is whenever you buy physical cards is you'll get a code card to get a pack in the game.

http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/download/

As far as new player resources, browse a few of the articles around here and the other forum posts. Are you looking to play competitively? Do you have a league near you that you will play at? What kind of budget are you working with if you're starting from no cards at all? Do you plan on playing standard, expanded or both? The answers to these questions will help provide you with the answers that are relevant to what you're looking to get out of the game. If you have any questions about the questions feel free to ask!

There are a few staple trainers that are in just about every deck, Ultra Ball, N, Professor Sycamore, and VS Seeker to name a few. Once you have playsets of these you'll have a good base to build off of for just about any deck. Shaymin EX is also a very common card in most decks, but it's also a $75-100 card last I checked. Lots of new players don't want to drop that kind of cash on a single card when they first start. Fortunately there are a few competitive decks that don't need the little guy. However, if you're budget allows and you can pick up one or two you may find you like decks with it better than those without.

Also, proxies are helpful when you first start out so you can test out decks you might be interested in before dropping the cash on the cards for them, assuming you have a league you'll be playing at.

There is a webbased game called TCG ONE, but I find it to be very difficult to interface with. PTCGO at the above URL is much more user friendly. The main difference between the two (other than PTCGO being a client) is that you can use whatever card you want on TCG ONE, whereas you have to acquire cards on PTCGO... but that's half the fun!

I have only been playing since March, and I have become totally obsessed with the game (although I don't play in real life, only online). I would also advise you to watch videos of common you tubers and go through the many deck lists and other advice you'll find here on pokebeach. If you have some spare change, there are websites where you can buy online codes for packs for usage on PTCGO. One thing I would advise though is to research various deck lists before you commit to buying. For example, I recently built a Mega Scizor deck. I compared the different deck lists from 7 different you tubers and took a compilation of those lists to make my list. You will also be able to find a number of deck lists here on pokebeach as well, but the advantage of watching the you tubers is that you actually get to see the decks play out, and that may influence your decision on certain cards.

I would also advise you to be a little wary of any advice that begins with "I think" or "I feel." There's a TON of subjectivity surrounding this game with very little data to back it up. I know I'm unusual, but I keep detailed statistics of every game I play, and I KNOW (not think or feel) that that has helped me improve my play as well as my decision making in deck construction.

Good luck and have fun! But be careful, you might get as addicted to this game as I am.

Back