New Player - Cards to Buy to Build More Competitive Decks

Shobberz

Aspiring Trainer
Hi everyone been a collector for about 15 years on and off, always just gone for how cool the cards looked never even looked into playing the game, played lots of other card games to a decent standard but never Pokemon.

I am looking into going to a few events for 2017 but I am totally new to the game - been playing the online version to learn the basic rules of the game so understand that now and have been reading the forums for different metas etc but I don't know which route or the cards I need in my deck as 'staples'

Money is no problem so is there any chance anyone could post me a list below of cards I am going to need to own and what set they are from so I can start building my deck? For example I have read about garbodor and M rayquaza EX but there are so many versions I have no clue what the main cards are!

Just a big list would be a massive help thank you everyone!

Since you've been collecting, there may be some cards you generally like. So, those may be a starting point to determine if you want to build deck(s) around any of those. Also, check the Deck Garage Forum for viewing a variety of decks.

Following is a list of some Standard format decks I expect to encounter at my upcoming Regional tournament:

Darkrai EX variants
Mega Mewtwo EX - Garbodor
Mega Rayquaza EX
Primal Groudon EX - Carbink
Primal Kyogre EX
Rainbow Force
Yveltal variants

Greninja
Mega Alakazam EX
Mega Sceptile EX
Mega Scizor EX
Volcanion EX
Yanmega-Vespiquen
Zygarde EX - Carbink

I suspect you can find examples of each of these decks in the Deck Garage Forum, as well.

I'd also suggest drafting a 60-card Standard (or Expanded) format deck and submit it to the Deck Garage for feedback. Test your deck online before purchasing any real cards too. Revise and test your deck till you like the final build; then purchase and/or trade for the cards you need.

Enjoy and welcome to the game.

Back