• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard New Deck Creation

Ok, at this point, I have NO IDEA who this thread is addressed to, but to all those who still may be listening/arguing/etc, here is what I have to say.

I personally love playing variants of Lunala/Solgaleo, others dont. I get that. We all wish certain cards turned out better, but wishing doesn't get us squat. The key to playing is making these apparently lackluster cards work not only well, but to your advantage. Before I continue my manifesto, I have a few questions to the maker of this thread, or whoever is looking for a decent deck to play.

1. Are you looking for Standard, or Expanded?
2. Why are you trying to play? For fun? Or competitively?
3. What do you like playing as far as a deck goes?

Honestly, I agree with this segment. After all, there's no point in playing a game if no enjoyment comes out of it. That said... The first two questions are already answered if you look hard enough at his original post. He goes in to a small amount of detail by describing that some of his cards are falling out of rotation and while his information is unfortunately incorrect to a fault (Blacksmith has been gone for a while), he follows up by describing that he's seen individuals use Decidueye/Vileplume in tournaments, has Steam Siege opened to him as a set, and is willing to pay a bit in to the game. Just from those bases, you can start to formulate a deduction that he wishes to continue along the path of playing Standard, though to fully answer that question, the OC says this:

I know other cards are not in the standard Aka why I'm happy to put this whole deck aside as I've been Battling mates but now I'm looking at playing others which will require a standard deck

So, we know he'll be going for a Standard deck. We can safely assume that he wants something that can stand up to others as a whole as well, since he's asking for advice of building a new and stronger deck. Because of that, we can shift our assumption towards a more competitive mentality, which is where we started getting in to the discussion of Solgaleo/Lunala as a budget deck and Volcanion EX as a good idea (considering he has Steam Siege cards). If anything, things are good to that point. Everything else more or less became a discussion of personal opinions. As you said, some like the idea of Solgaleo/Lunala, others do not.

The only thing I must say I disagree with is this...

This is a complicated game. Trying to win is like walking though a minefield blindfolded.
I'm not 100% sure why you have this belief, more specifically the latter part. Complicated seems to be a fairly harsh word for a game like Pokemon TCG, where most of its technical functions come from understanding how tool box strategies work and mentally calculating numbers that fall in to RNG territory (which, ironically, go hand in hand). Most, if not, all major card games do this as well. If anything, Pokemon TCG is easier than games like MTG, for example, because in Pokemon TCG, there is some reliability on what should happen if you build accordingly. You will always have a Starting Pokemon. You have an incredible amount of draw power in comparison to other card games, meaning the odds of not drawing in to cards that you run as 4-ofs are pretty slim as a whole. Etc.

Also, I would say that Pokemon TCG as a whole is also a game that is based off of strong momentum and resource shifting. In other words, if you have more resources than your opponent, you're going to win. That can shift over the course of the game with things like Lysandre plays and Energy Denial and, quite frankly, the statement is rather redundant, but it plays true more to this game than other TCGs out there, IMO. It's not an overly complicated game if you understand a few basic concepts, that's all.

Regardless, the thread itself seems to be fairly dead at this point. I think the OC already has a deck in mind, so we can leave it at this.

-Asmer

Honestly, I agree with this segment. After all, there's no point in playing a game if no enjoyment comes out of it. That said... The first two questions are already answered if you look hard enough at his original post. He goes in to a small amount of detail by describing that some of his cards are falling out of rotation and while his information is unfortunately incorrect to a fault (Blacksmith has been gone for a while), he follows up by describing that he's seen individuals use Decidueye/Vileplume in tournaments, has Steam Siege opened to him as a set, and is willing to pay a bit in to the game. Just from those bases, you can start to formulate a deduction that he wishes to continue along the path of playing Standard, though to fully answer that question, the OC says this:

So, we know he'll be going for a Standard deck. We can safely assume that he wants something that can stand up to others as a whole as well, since he's asking for advice of building a new and stronger deck. Because of that, we can shift our assumption towards a more competitive mentality, which is where we started getting in to the discussion of Solgaleo/Lunala as a budget deck and Volcanion EX as a good idea (considering he has Steam Siege cards). If anything, things are good to that point. Everything else more or less became a discussion of personal opinions. As you said, some like the idea of Solgaleo/Lunala, others do not.

The only thing I must say I disagree with is this...

I'm not 100% sure why you have this belief, more specifically the latter part. Complicated seems to be a fairly harsh word for a game like Pokemon TCG, where most of its technical functions come from understanding how tool box strategies work and mentally calculating numbers that fall in to RNG territory (which, ironically, go hand in hand). Most, if not, all major card games do this as well. If anything, Pokemon TCG is easier than games like MTG, for example, because in Pokemon TCG, there is some reliability on what should happen if you build accordingly. You will always have a Starting Pokemon. You have an incredible amount of draw power in comparison to other card games, meaning the odds of not drawing in to cards that you run as 4-ofs are pretty slim as a whole. Etc.

Also, I would say that Pokemon TCG as a whole is also a game that is based off of strong momentum and resource shifting. In other words, if you have more resources than your opponent, you're going to win. That can shift over the course of the game with things like Lysandre plays and Energy Denial and, quite frankly, the statement is rather redundant, but it plays true more to this game than other TCGs out there, IMO. It's not an overly complicated game if you understand a few basic concepts, that's all.

Regardless, the thread itself seems to be fairly dead at this point. I think the OC already has a deck in mind, so we can leave it at this.

-Asmer
Fair enough. I said it was like a minefield just because trying to play can get rather irritating at times, especially when the format heavily depends on very expensive cards, and Jan be a massive hurdle to beginners.

I do also agree that the tread needs to end, so I suppose If better un-follow it.

As Asmer has effectively invited people to pm me on the subject of M gardevoir-EX, I suppose I'll have to allow it. Not that it matters anyway as this thread fell off of the first page of deck garage long ago so there's probably a very limited number of people who will even read this.

More to the point:
Yet, the most satisfying thing in the world is playing against a top tier deck with a very mediocre/uncompetitive deck, and winning.
I'd like to amend this to:
The most satisfying thing in the world is outplaying a top tier deck with a completely unheard of and (the most important part!) degenerate deck to the point where they feel the need to deny it ever happened in an attempt to keep even a shred of their ego.
But hey, maybe that's just me and the most satisfying part of the game is different for everyone!

@Asmer I see you've moved on from golduck; if you manage to find a cohesive list for typhlosion do pm me.

As Asmer has effectively invited people to pm me on the subject of M gardevoir-EX, I suppose I'll have to allow it. Not that it matters anyway as this thread fell off of the first page of deck garage long ago so there's probably a very limited number of people who will even read this.

More to the point:

I'd like to amend this to:
The most satisfying thing in the world is outplaying a top tier deck with a completely unheard of and (the most important part!) degenerate deck to the point where they feel the need to deny it ever happened in an attempt to keep even a shred of their ego.
But hey, maybe that's just me and the most satisfying part of the game is different for everyone!

@Asmer I see you've moved on from golduck; if you manage to find a cohesive list for typhlosion do pm me.

I honestly 100% forgot to tell you about Golduck! I did create an effective list that does work. Granted, it will never be better than Tier 4, but it does take games it has no business taking. I'll give you that later.

I have an idea for Typhlosion, but I think it'll work better in Expanded than it would in Standard. Still, will get on that later.

Also, sorry for putting you on the spot like that. I actually feel like you do more than me when it comes to M Gardevoir. xP

-Asmer

I honestly 100% forgot to tell you about Golduck! I did create an effective list that does work. Granted, it will never be better than Tier 4, but it does take games it has no business taking. I'll give you that later.

I have an idea for Typhlosion, but I think it'll work better in Expanded than it would in Standard. Still, will get on that later.

Also, sorry for putting you on the spot like that. I actually feel like you do more than me when it comes to M Gardevoir. xP

-Asmer

Don't worry about it man; I haven't played any Mgardevoir recently, but like I said before; it's not like anyone would pm me on the matter anyway. :)

Classic golduck shenanigans going on I see.

Back