Discussion New Cynthia Draw Supporter

There is literally no way they're not going to put Sycamore out of his misery. Like, have you looked at any post-SUM card? It's plain as day that they want a slower format. What's the precise opposite of a slow format? "Discard your hand and draw 7 cards", that's what.

No, but when they has DP, they has CRAZY draw support (not just supporters). And by the time it was HGSS-on the new sets like NVI started rolling in.

EDIT: sets not set
Yeah like Uxie and Claydol... PLEASE GIVE US A CLAYDOL REPRINT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
There is literally no way they're not going to put Sycamore out of his misery. Like, have you looked at any post-SUM card? It's plain as day that they want a slower format. What's the precise opposite of a slow format? "Discard your hand and draw 7 cards", that's what.
All draw Supporters are inherently slow. You can only use one per turn. Also, discarding cards has gotten worse and worse since the rotarion (bye VS Seeker), so I think Sycamore is a perfectly balanced and healthy card that should be reprinted.

The last time all 3 off these supporters,N, PONT, and Juniper, were in the same format was in 2012. In 2012 the supporter counts were around 10 for draw support with the most favorable being 4 PONT, 4 Juniper, 2 N as N truly was used mostly for disruption and I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to a very similar counts for the remainder of the season upon release.

also stop guessing at what the next format will be who cares its still almost a full year away.

Yeah like Uxie and Claydol... PLEASE GIVE US A CLAYDOL REPRINT PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

All draw Supporters are inherently slow. You can only use one per turn. Also, discarding cards has gotten worse and worse since the rotarion (bye VS Seeker), so I think Sycamore is a perfectly balanced and healthy card that should be reprinted.
Yep. In the B&W era. You'd run like 4 Juniper 4 N, and 3-4 Skyla. It was completely fine. I as well think PRofessor Sycamore is balanced.

What's the precise opposite of a slow format? "Discard your hand and draw 7 cards", that's what.
Actually, the precise opposite of a slow format is "When you play this Pokemon from your hand onto your Bench, you may draw cards until you have six cards in your hand". ;)

The Japanese text matches Professor Oak's New Theory's Japanese text character for character, so there's no need for translation confirmation.

There is always a need for translation confirmation; sometimes the English language gets something wrong and it takes a bit to correct it. ;) In this case, as we non-Japanese speakers/readers* can clearly compare the writing on the card, it goes from the level of "needing to breathe" to "needing to consume a particular, semi-obscure vitamin or mineral every now and then for proper health." XP

"Discard your hand and draw 7" has always been a staple of the TCG. If Professor Sycamore does rotate, we will probably get another Supporter just like him.

No, it hasn't. For one, the effect on a Trainer predates the Supporter mechanic: it debuted in the original Base Set on Professor Oak, which was a "normal Trainer" back then and is treated as an Item now. We didn't get another "Discard hand. Draw 7 cards." Trainer effect until Professor Juniper released with Black & White. The original Standard Format** didn't have this coveted effect on a Trainer card, and we didn't get it until April of 2011, nearly 10 years later. Being absent from competitive play for over half the game's lifespan definitely isn't "always". ;)

Yes, different formats had different draw power, but about a quarter to a third of this game's lifespan hasn't had the speed of a "Discard your hand. Draw 7 cards." Trainer or an equivalent alternative. Instead, they had a slower (sometimes slightly) slower pace, using some of the effects mentioned in previous posts (including your own). Even adjusting for things like different First Turn rules. Citing the minority of times would be a bad idea except there is enough circumstantial evidence to suggest a deliberate attempt at returning to those slower times.

*...I swear, someday I'll get around to it! Of course, I've been meaning to do so for about 20 years now. @_@
**Technically, the original "Standard" Format was Base Set and later releases, not because we had a rotating format that early, but because WotC used the term a bit differently than TPCi does now. "Standard" just meant the default tournament format. What we now call Standard was originally known as "Modified", and 2001 to 2002 was the original Modified Format.

When this does come out ill probably replace 2 N with 2 of these and the other 2 N will be the peaking red card, which is a pretty interesting card.

I'm so glad this card is coming out, like literally jumping out of my seat haha.

Cynthia is great for the game, as standard lacks consistency right now with VS Seeker rotated. Reason being, getting N'd to 1-4 can easily leave you with no supporter outs. Running 4 N 4 Sycamore 2 Cynthia will go a long way to rectify this issue and restore consistency and reliability to the format.

This card coming out also signals that we won't get a Sycamore reprint, and they are moving towards a slower, more methodical game. After rotation, I expect 4 Cynthia 4 Lillie to be standard unless a better draw supporter comes out in the future.

I'm not sure if I'd say the inclusion of Cynthia signals that we won't get a Sycamore reprint, but either way I'm glad that we have a supporter to rely on for the GX era. My 2 concerns with the GX era are both supporter related: What happens when Sycamore & N rotate, and what happens when Brigette rotates?

At least we have a solve for Sycamore & N, well at least a partial solve. I really don't think we'll start seeing 4 Lillie, but I think we will start seeing a 2/2 line of Zoroark GX replace the 4 Sycamore if he doesn't see a reprint. Then again, if Brigette rotates then we won't be seeing 2/2 Zoroark GX either.

Right now the only okay-ish draw supporters we have are Hala and Sophocles. I wouldn't run Lillie at 4 since she's pretty much just a much harder to use Cynthia drawing up to 6 instead of reshuffling for 6. The Zoroark/Mallow combo will probably start seeing some more play I would imagine.

We still have a lot of time before rotation hits though, so we really shouldn't worry.

For our current game, I do think that maxing out on Cynthia at the cost of N's is going to be the way to go. You still want N for beacons and magical ribbons, etc, but you want to be able to draw 6 throughout the whole game.

I'm not sure if I'd say the inclusion of Cynthia signals that we won't get a Sycamore reprint, but either way I'm glad that we have a supporter to rely on for the GX era. My 2 concerns with the GX era are both supporter related: What happens when Sycamore & N rotate, and what happens when Brigette rotates?

At least we have a solve for Sycamore & N, well at least a partial solve. I really don't think we'll start seeing 4 Lillie, but I think we will start seeing a 2/2 line of Zoroark GX replace the 4 Sycamore if he doesn't see a reprint. Then again, if Brigette rotates then we won't be seeing 2/2 Zoroark GX either.

Right now the only okay-ish draw supporters we have are Hala and Sophocles. I wouldn't run Lillie at 4 since she's pretty much just a much harder to use Cynthia drawing up to 6 instead of reshuffling for 6. The Zoroark/Mallow combo will probably start seeing some more play I would imagine.

We still have a lot of time before rotation hits though, so we really shouldn't worry.

For our current game, I do think that maxing out on Cynthia at the cost of N's is going to be the way to go. You still want N for beacons and magical ribbons, etc, but you want to be able to draw 6 throughout the whole game.
If you want a bridgette replacement, play pokemon fan club

I may have missed it, but when did they say Cynthia would be released in Japan and here in the US?

I may have missed it, but when did they say Cynthia would be released in Japan and here in the US?

I believe in Japan, Cynthia is coming with the new Solgaleo & Lunala GX starter sets.

As for US/EU, nothing is known. I don't know how many parallels we can draw to Japanese product releases.

EDIT: As for the whole Brigette thing, my main concern is that certain decks will become inherently better.

Water & Fighting decks will benefit more from Brooklet Hill than anyone else.

Fire decks will be losing Volcanion EX for massive damage, but they do have alternatives like Lurantis, Tapu Koko spread damage, and choice band to still hit significant numbers. Primarily, they have Kiawe to get more energy on more quickly than other decks. Kiawe in a Brigetteless environment is a lot more effective, IMO.

Brigette right now serves to make set up decks actually set up able. Nest Ball isn't a bad alternative, but with only 4 copies max, it's hardly as potent as 4 Ultra/3 Lele/1 Brigette getting you 8 ways to open 3 Pokemon as opposed to 4 ways to only open 1.

If Brigette's exact effect is not reprinted, with or without errata for GX's, there needs to be some sort of support for set up decks and no "favortism," like Brooklet Hill.

Last edited:
Back