New and Never Played

Split007

Aspiring Trainer
OK so im coming from messin with WoW tcg about a year ago and no one plays in my area so i quit. and now i wanna get into a tcg and i noticed i have a pokemon league at my local library so i thought i might as well get into it. I have some Qs though. 1. Is there things as rush decks? like fast paced kill the opponent before they can do anything type deck. 2. How fast are new sets released like where it makes the previous set illegal for pay cuz i dont wanna jump in and have to always be pumping out money to keep up. Btw i use to play yugioh if that helps.

1) yes. these are called donk decks.
2) sets are released every 3 months. USUALLY every year around august the 4 oldest sets are rotated out, leaving around 9 sets in the format.
P.S. if you don't want to buy cards that are going to be rotated out soon, buy Platinum. The box is black, looks like this http://www.toysnjoys.com/pokemon/platinumtcg.jpg
and if you get that box, don't trade any trainers that have to do with sp pokemon, they're popular, therefor valuable.

OK thanks um Im really like electric pokemon like raichu and such or evee evos. Any tips on that

Don't build decks by type. I mean, you generally want to have no more than 3 types, but build based on the synergy with the other cards in the deck.

Split007 said:
I havent even bought cards yet, so what is synergy

Synergy is the are combos that Pokemon share with each other so they would work well together. Running Raichu and the Eeveelutions, for example, isn't synergy because they don't really help each other in any way.

A good example could be Blaziken PT and Heatran Lv.X SF. It may not be a good and the fastest deck but there is definitely synergy.

Synergy here = Blaziken discards energy with his attack and Heatran's Poke-Power attaches them back to Blaziken

the above posters are correct. Synergy isn't a pokemon term. It's a word that means: Synergy is where different entities cooperate advantageously for a final outcome. In layman's terms, that says they work together for a common goal, which would be winning.

An example of synergy would be ampharos from platinum and ampharos from secret wonders. Amphy from SW puts 1 damage counter on each of their pokemon if they use a supporter card. Amphy from PL locks all powers if they have a damage counter on them. They work together.

I have a similar question. Do players consistently top at tournaments, or do the tournaments tend to depend on luck moreso? How expensive would it be to make a tier 1 deck like LuxChomp? How competitive is pokemon basically?

To the question about the Nephew - Don't get him into a league until you have played for a while and fully understand the game. Then, when you do, teach it to him. It saves time and will annoy less players like me.

It doesn't really depend on luck, really. It mainly depends on strategy and how many cards in your deck you have to complete the strategy.

Pokemon isn't too competitive. It mainly depends on who you're facing.

I didnt plan on taking him to a league.
Anyways i borrowed old cards from my friend to play a lil to see how i liked and how my nephew did. We both did so we will both start buying cards. For me i like fire electric decks. So which starter decks should i buy and tins. I like raichu typholsion and such. I wanna buy a couple starters then from there packs. Ok 1 last Q. How do colorless work? pokemon and energy. Like colorless energy can be used in place of any other? like say i need 2 fighting energy to do the attack can i use 1 fighting and 1 colorless? Also so a attack needs 1 fighting and 1 colorless can i use any energy and 1 fighting?

Split007 said:
Anyways i borrowed old cards from my friend to play a lil to see how i liked and how my nephew did. We both did so we will both start buying cards. For me i like fire electric decks. So which starter decks should i buy and tins. I like raichu typholsion and such. I wanna buy a couple starters then from there packs. Ok 1 last Q. How do colorless work? pokemon and energy. Like colorless energy can be used in place of any other? like say i need 2 fighting energy to do the attack can i use 1 fighting and 1 colorless? Also so a attack needs 1 fighting and 1 colorless can i use any energy and 1 fighting?

For the legal fire starter decks, there are:
Inferno Zone (Fire/Fighting)
Lavaflow (Fire/Grass)
Endless Night (Fire/Grass/Dark)
Flourish (Fire/Grass)
Ignition (Fire/Grass)
Flamemaster (Fire/Grass)
Ember Spark (Fire/Electric)

And for legal Electric starter decks:
Powerhouse (Electric/Fighting)
Polar Frost (Electric/Water)
Stormshaper (Electric/Psychic)
Ember Spark (Electric/Fire)

Ember Spark is the only combo of the 2 types you mentioned.

By the way the higher the decks are on the list, the older they are.

Split007 said:

yep. colorless energy can be any energy you like.

If the energy requirements of an attack are:
{L}{C}

You can use that attack if you have the energy in the form of:
{L}+Any other energy

Basically, colorless aren't specific. Any energy will suffice for a colorless requirement.

Ninja'd, but I think I explained it better =P

Back