My VGC 2011 team

Hyperion64

Aspiring Trainer
My strategy for this team involves trick room and sand storm. Since it will be used in VGC, it is made for double battles

Gigalith
-sandstorm
-stealth rock
-Explosion
-rock slide
252 hp 252 atk 4 sp def
Sturdy
Smooth rock
Sassy

I love this pokemon. It can set up rocks and sandstorm, then explode or beat them with rock slide (which is incredible in double battles). Sturdy prevents from dying the first turn.

Reuniclus
-trick room
-protect
-calm mind
-psychic
252 hp 128 def 128 sp def
Leftovers
Magic guard
Relaxed

The strategy here is to set up trick room, use calm mind a couple times (protect when a field move is used), then sweep with psychic. I am forced to play more defensively here due to lack of sturdy, but magic guard is still very useful.

Golurk
-shadow punch
-earthquake
-hammer arm
-trick room
252 hp 252 atk 4 sp def
Expert belt
Iron fist
Brave

The effective star of my team. Considering that it's moves get perfect coverage and two get iron fist boosts, this thing can be quite dangerous. It also serves as my second trick room user. Expert belt is on there because it will likely get the boost almost all the time.

Escavelier
-swords dance
-megahorn
-iron head
-protect
252 hp 252 atk 4 sp def
Life orb
Swarm
Brave

This thing is a new scizor. It can swords dance and sweep with ease. Protect is there in case of earthquake or explosion. Swarm really compliments life orb.

Threats:

Whimsicott-prankster is just plain evil against this team.

Jellicent-resists almost everything I have.

Conkelldur-Mach punch. Enough said.

Gigalith-though rare, these things will be hecka hard to counter.

I don't really see the point of Sandstorm on this team. Sure, all of your Pokemon take no damage from it, but the only one who gets some sort of boost is Gigalith. You could easily make this a TR-only team and have plenty more options open to you. Also, Sturdy only works for one move, if both opponents direct attacks at Gigalith, it could still faint. One thing I DO like about this team is that almost everything has Protect.

One more problem I see is that you only have 1 Special move in this entire team. This'll make many Pokemon in VGCs much more difficult to counter. To remedy this, you could drop Calm Mind on Reuniclus and replace it with either Shadow Ball or Focus Blast, whichever you think will help counter your threats more.

All in all, I'd recommend at least replacing Gigalith with something with some support moves that'll help Reuniclus put up Trick Room, like an Amoonguss with Rage Powder.

EDIT: Also, Golurk doesn't learn Trick Room.

Back