My Sonic CG - Lots of Fun Making it =)

Sonic Gal

Poke and the Man!
Well, I had a great time making this, but the time flew by so fast. :(

I am aware that it is not perfect, but IMO it looks alright and that's what matters.

Steps:
  • Drawn on paper.
  • Scanned it in.
  • Inked the outlining.
  • Colored Sonic in.
  • Shadowed and highlighted.
  • Cleaned.

Behold!

soniccg.png

haha, that is awsome !
I love the facial expresion, 1 thing i think its just me but the legs look sligtly weird ?
Prob just me, great job ^_^

Hm. There a lot of anatomical problems.

Tell you what. I'm going to be doing a tutorial on SOnic characters soon so I'll let you know when it done./

It's a good attempt though. GJ.

Thanks for the offer DD, but I don't need a tutorial; I've been CGing for a while now.

As for the problems, remember, I said it wasn't perfect AND a few of the places I'm sure you see problem I purposely did (such as the line not ending under his nose and his fists). This is retro Sonic thus I made him appear cartoon-like.

No biggie though. Thanks for the comments. :)

Sonic looks awesome. =D
You really did a good job on this. The outlining is perfect and the shading is very well done. =]

My drawings are never as clean as this. xD

I hope to see more hand-drawn stuff from you. You're very good at it. =]

I have no concern for your CG prowess, just drawing Sonic himself.

But the spikes are uneven the hands are too small the tail unpointed--common anatomy mistakes.

For example--Sonic hands should be almost as big as his chest or as big curled up in a fist.

Dictator Dauntless said:
I have no concern for your CG prowess, just drawing Sonic himself.

But the spikes are uneven the hands are too small the tail unpointed--common anatomy mistakes.

Ohhh okay, gotcha.

Hmm, I'll keep that in mind, however all the images I see of this retro Sonic appear to have smaller quills and hands. Same with the tail, it's rounded.

See in this pic:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1870/sonic3.jpg

I figured I would keep the details that way. But meh, I'll change it the next time I CG. Thank you for the critique; much appreciated!

Dictator Dauntless said:

For example--Sonic hands should be almost as big as his chest or as big curled up in a fist.

I honestly did not notice any of that stuff at all. :D

I just saw Sonic. With a naughty looking facial expression. And lollipops for legs. :D

It looks great!

Well, those are the Archie Comics. Each artist has his or her interpretation of what Sonic should look like, even more so during the early days when the guidelines were very loose.

As a whole though, "Classic Sonic" kind of looks awkward compared to what he looks like today, if you ask me. It's neither a complaint nor a compliment to your artwork, just whoever drew the box art for the Genesis/Game Gear games.

I don't seem to be comfortable with the wiggly ears, just my opinion ;)

Other than that, Its cool :D

I think you have to get some confidence in doing your lineart there, but you have basic grasp of this stuff :D
Excellent little doodle if I say so myself. Just make sure you are being steady with linearting and make sure they are not as wobbly :) Then it should be asboluetly fine. <3

Back