Discussion Mulliganing

Waplozes

*Trumpeting Peaks*
Is there a limit to however much you can mulligan? I know you opponent reserves the right no not draw cards from a mulligan, but how many can you make before an instant loss/is that even a thing?

There isn't an instant loss rule for this. You keep shuffling until you get a Basic Pokemon and like you said, the opponent can choose how many cards they draw. If this is competitive play, the judge may give you a "Judge Ball" where they reveal cards from the top of your deck until a Basic Pokemon is drawn. That Pokemon is put into play and the rest of the cards are shuffled into the deck and then you draw six cards.

However, Talonflame is a gray area because even if you have Talonflame in your hand, you can choose to mulligan since it isn't a Basic Pokemon even if the condition to put it into your Active spot is met. You can have a deck with one Basic Pokemon and one Talonflame and can do what you said, assuming you draw Talonflame each time but I assume the judge would make you start with it after a few mulligan.

There isn't an instant loss rule for this. You keep shuffling until you get a Basic Pokemon and like you said, the opponent can choose how many cards they draw. If this is competitive play, the judge may give you a "Judge Ball" where they reveal cards from the top of your deck until a Basic Pokemon is drawn. That Pokemon is put into play and the rest of the cards are shuffled into the deck and then you draw six cards.

However, Talonflame is a gray area because even if you have Talonflame in your hand, you can choose to mulligan since it isn't a Basic Pokemon even if the condition to put it into your Active spot is met. You can have a deck with one Basic Pokemon and one Talonflame and can do what you said, assuming you draw Talonflame each time but I assume the judge would make you start with it after a few mulligan.
thanks

Though not specifically asked, I wanted to make it clear; you do have to have at least one actual Basic Pokémon in your deck, even if you're running Talonflame. Throw in the risk of a "Judge Ball" because you're taking too long, and I think the issue is less "How many times can I mulligan?" and more "How much time can I spend on mulligans?". If I am facing you as an opponent, I'm waiting five minutes at most.

Though not specifically asked, I wanted to make it clear; you do have to have at least one actual Basic Pokémon in your deck, even if you're running Talonflame. Throw in the risk of a "Judge Ball" because you're taking too long, and I think the issue is less "How many times can I mulligan?" and more "How much time can I spend on mulligans?". If I am facing you as an opponent, I'm waiting five minutes at most.
If it is talonflame, I do not think you need to. Otherwise, you do(obviously)

Back