• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (Seismitoad EX / Mewtwo EX / Landorus EX / Garbodor)

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
So... this is the deck that I've been toying around with as of late. It won me second place in an unsanctioned tournament over the weekend, and I think it's pretty solid. The name was more of something I couldn't resist once I had the thought, since Seismitoad isn't the main attacker (really there isn't a single main attacker). However, since Mr. Toad is a solid card, he's worthy of having the deck named after him. :D Comments and feedback are always welcome.

Pokemon: (12)

• 2 Seismitoad-EX (FFI)
    2 Mewtwo-EX (NXD/PR/LTR)
    2 Landorus-EX (BCR)
    2 Hawlucha (FFI)
    2-2 Garbodor (DRX/PLF/LTR)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: (36)

• 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
    4 Muscle Band
    2 Float Stone
    3 Ultra Ball
    2 Switch
    1 Escape Rope
    1 Bicycle
    1 Computer Search ACE SPEC
    4 Professor Sycamore
    4 N
    2 Colress
    2 Korrina
    2 Lysandre
    1 Pokemon Center Lady
    2 Virbank City Gym
    1 Fighting Stadium
Energy: (12)

• 4 Basic Fighting
    4 Strong Energy
    4 Double Colorless Energy

Strategy:

This is yet another "Big Basics with Garbodor" sort of deck which, despite the name I couldn't resist giving to it, aims for adaptability rather than focusing on a main main attacker. For those not familiar with this sort of deck, it employs basic Pokemon with low-cost, efficient attacks, while Garbodor sits on the bench, its Ability Garbotoxin turning off all other Abilities on the field and off it. Hawlucha is the other only card in this deck with an Ability, and since that prevents it from applying weakness or resistence, Garbotoxin is usually either helpful or essentially has no effect.

The decision to run only two copies of each attacker can seem a bit odd, but these are all Pokemon that are universally effective, with situational bonuses (like weakness, or a snipe KO with Landorus) more as added perks than a part of the strategy. Seismitoad-EX is a bit of an exception however, as it's the ideal Pokemon to be using in the early game, locking the opponent out of items while setting up damage for the other attackers to clean up. It's also a great play against both Landorus-EX and Pyroar (once Garbodor is out, which is ideally turn 2-3). Hawlucha is your go-to against Yveltal-EX, but a great anti-EX card in general, hitting hard and creating a bad prize trade. Even though it's likely to get knocked out on your opponent's turn, some EX on your field will return the favor. Landorus-EX can also be used to set up KOs for leater, or snipe off an already heavily damaged Pokemon. Land's Judgement should be used sparingly, since it's easy for your opponent to predict when you're trying to use it, and it takes a lot of energy, but don't forget that it's an option.

That said, there really isn't a comples strategy to this deck aside from early game aggression and fast attacks. I feel this is better than a straight Fighting deck since it provides more options and type coverage, as well as a higher damage output and less risk than straight Toad/ Garbodor. Even though the deck runs only two of each attacker, they're all universally good with the exception of their weaknesses. One problem the deck does have is its absolute reliance on Garbodor. The only non-Ex attacker is Hawlucha, which can only damage Pokemon-EX. Sigipyph, Pyroar, and similar cards become problematic if Garbodor can't be set up quick enough. Donphan and Pyroar are this deck's worst matchups because of this, but ithey're not totally unwinnable.

Edited to coincide with the rules! :D ~Kecleon

Back