Most popular decks

mitchocalypse

Aspiring Trainer
I started the getting back in the game thread and the 2 pokemon that were always suggested to me were flygon and jumpluff. That being said, i'm not sure if i really liked them. One card i did particularilly like though was Darkrai G. Sick ability and he's basic. I was thinking of combining him with parasect and maybe the stadium where 2 damage couinters are put onto a pokemon at the time of evolution (to support darkrais attack) but i hear nothing but bad reviews or comments about this deck.

That in mind, i hear tons of deck combos "luxchomp" "flychamp" "sablock" the list goes on. I, however, don't see how any of these combos work, yet the advanced people all play them and win nationals and worlds and everything. What i seem to think is good doesn't seem to agree with everyone else and in fact reality. I this Darkrai G/ Parasect combo was so balling, you'd think more people would play it.

Now, lengthy 2 paragraph introductions aside, can someone please tell me some of the most popular decks (that are obviously good) and possibly provide a link to a specific example (someones actual card list to their deck of that type). Also, I would like a brief (in depth if necessary) explanation of why it is popular and how/ why/ what made people come accross it and why it wins. What combos or abilities make it good?

1st up is Luxchomp. Luxchomp is by far probably the best deck in the format right now. It is good and popular because Luxchomp is an extremely flexible deck, being able to snipe the bench, control your opponent's active slot, disrupt your opponent, cancel Powers, and is fast thanks to Luxchomp's use of the SP engine. With Poke Turn, all of this can be done over and over again. People came across it when Blazeray first came out. Blazeray basically used Blaziken FB/Luxray GL/Garchomp C, but then people dropped Blaziken and found out that Luxray/Garchomp C is more consistent.

Next up is Jumpluff. Jumpluff is one of the fastest decks in the format right now, and above all it hits hard. It's popular all because of its speed. Fast, fast, fast, fast, and does so much damage. Plus with SSU you can constantly heal Jumpluff on coin flips and control your opponent's bench with a Luxray GL tech. People came across it when looking at the HGSS Japanese translations. They saw it, built it, ???, profit!

These are the top two right now. I don't have much time to explain the others, but I'll edit this post when I have the time.

I'm running two decks; Donphan and Gallade SP Spread deck.

Donphan is really fast. I have yet to play a game that I didn't get Donphan out on Turn 2 with a Fighting Energy on him. 60 Damage for 1 energy, 120 HP and a Pokebody that lowers damage he receives from attacks by 20. I put Machamp SP in there to shuffle out any pokemon they have that I don't like or can't take out. Four Pokemon Circulators and Four Pokemon Reversals (Will get 4 Hunters when it's available) so that I control what their active is with trainers.

Gallade SP is 3 Gallade SP, 1 Gallade SP X and lots of Poketurns and SSU. Gallade X has a pokepower that deals one damage to each of your opponents pokemon everytime you Lv. Up. So that's three damage to each of your opponents pokemon without even attacking. You can then use Gallade X's Aimed cut which will then do 70 damage on top of the 30 already done to the active or swap for a more powerful spread lie Giratina X which will do another 30 to the bench (Combine that with Spiritomb from one of the DP sets and that's 70 damage to each of your opponents pokemon and any of them Ko'd will go to the Lost Zone).

But I rarely lose matches. I only really lose to Blazakin/Absol SP deck that the league master in my city runs.

Most of the decks that you hear talked about are just brute strength, the reason why LuxChomp is good is because it has far too over powered trainers and Garchomp heals all of its damage when you play it, but thanks to poketurn they can return it to their hand next turn and do it again next turn. If you are into strategic decks like you mentioned above try Gyarados.

Sablelock is mainly good because of how well the deck can perform early in the game. Donking is when the person beats the other person in the first or second turn of the game (usually by KOing their one only Pokemon they have, or two/three). With constant Crobat drops, Honckrow/Garchomp C snipes and preferably a Sableye start, the donk happens highly frequently. The deck can also function late-game (although it's not as good as early). Cyrus's Initiative, Judge/Giratina Let Loose, etc. also mess up with your opponent's hand for disruption to keep them at bay.

dmaster out.

#1 LuxChomp. so many opportunities.
#2 Speedrill/raybees. as the name implies, wicked fast.
#3 playray(jumpluff/luxray) see above.
#4 Galgar. choice sniper can hit whatever.
#5 Dialga/Garchomp. THE BEST LOCK and my archnemesis.

This is my top 5 for best decks.

- LuxChomp is the undisputed king, as of now. The SP engine is ridiculous, and the ability to gust, heal, and snipe all in one deck, and all very fast is amazing. If you have any level of skill in this game it really shouldn't be hard to see why this deck is played. I could go on and on about this, but there are plenty of articles and tournament reports for you to refer to.

- Jumpluff is probably the #2, in my opinion, and it wins because Jumpluff is an insane card. The ability to do up to 120, consistently, on turn 2/3 is great, and the best part about it is that you control part of the damage. Even if your opponent chooses to be conservative with their Pokemon drops, you can still swing heavily.

- Gyarados is the last tier 1 option, in my mind. Attacking with NO cost is ridiculous, enough said.

All in all I think this format is mostly full of pretty auto-pilot decks that, I think if you took a good hard look at, aren't too difficult to understand.

Refer to heytrainer.org and http://google.com/.com for all the articles, decklists, and discussion you'll need.

EDIT: Also, I don't mean to offend anyone here, but Donphan is tier 2 at best, Gallade 4 isn't NEARLY one of the "top decks" right now, and neither is Beedrill. I'm not even sure what Galgar is. =\

kwisdumb said:
EDIT: Also, I don't mean to offend anyone here, but Donphan is tier 2 at best, Gallade 4 isn't NEARLY one of the "top decks" right now, and neither is Beedrill. I'm not even sure what Galgar is. =\
Yeah... I think the OP was looking for the most popular decks in the metagame, not yours. And I do think Galgar is Gallade 4/Gengar.

Luxchomp is definently the best deck right now. It has the consistancy of the SP engine(Sp radar, poke turn, cyrus' conspiracy, power spray, and energy gain) on its side and so much disruption. Its strategy is too not let your opponent set up, and if they do, KO weak benched pokemon for the last few cheap prizes.Luxray GL LV.X can attack for 60 on turn 2 with energy gain(which makes all of its attacks require 1 less colorless energy), which can knock out any unevolved pokemon in play because of it's poke-power "Bright Look". This can stop people from setting up their main attacker or claydol. If they do end up evolving a claydol you can snipe it with Garchomp C LV.X's Dragon Rush for an OHKO, you drag it up with Luxray GL LV.X and 2hko it. Power Spray also prevents your opponent from setting up by canceling a crucial Uxie's "set-up". Luxchomp also has some defensive options if needed with Garchomp C LV.X's poke-power "Healing Breath".

POKEMON(18)
Luxray GL LV.X 3-1
Garchomp C LV.X 2-2
Toxicroak G(promo) 1
Crobat G 2
Uxie LV.X(LA) 2-1
Azelf(LA) 1
Bronzong G 1
Lucario GL 1
Ambipom G 1

ENERGY(13)
Double Colorless Energy 4
Call Energy 4
Psychic Energy 1
Lightning Energy 4

TRAINERS(29)
Cyrus's Conspiracy 4
Poke Turn 4
Energy Gain 4
Power Spray 3
SP Radar 3
Roseanne's Research 4
POkemon Collector 1
Bebe's Search 1
Aaron's Collection 1
Palmer's Contribution 1
Luxury Ball 1
Premier Ball 1
Expert Belt 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gyarados is also very popular right now. It uses Sableye(in combination with Felicity's Drawing) and regice early game to discard 3 magikarp. Then you attack with Gyarados's Tail Revenge, which does 30 damage times the number of magikarp in your discard pile. It uses cards like Pokemon rescue and combee(SF) to recover your KO'd magikarp and then you evolve it the same turn with Broken-Time Space. Gyarados is so good because it hits for so much damage consistantly. If tail revenge doesn't do enough damage to KO something, people run 2/3 Expert Belt, 2 Crobat G and 4 Poketurn, and Plus Power to power it up. Its also good because its attack requires 0 energy and its a stage 1, which leaves a ton of room for Trainers.

I'll do more later and I will give you decklists.

Virde said:
Gallade SP is 3 Gallade SP, 1 Gallade SP X and lots of Poketurns and SSU. Gallade X has a pokepower that deals one damage to each of your opponents pokemon everytime you Lv. Up. So that's three damage to each of your opponents pokemon without even attacking. You can then use Gallade X's Aimed cut which will then do 70 damage on top of the 30 already done to the active or swap for a more powerful spread lie Giratina X which will do another 30 to the bench (Combine that with Spiritomb from one of the DP sets and that's 70 damage to each of your opponents pokemon and any of them Ko'd will go to the Lost Zone).

But I rarely lose matches. I only really lose to Blazakin/Absol SP deck that the league master in my city runs.
Say hello to Garchomp C LV.X. Good luck getting two LV.Xs out every game, in less than three turns before getting sweeped by Jumpluff. I liked Gallade LV.X, but spreading doesn't work anymore with Garchomp C. Gengar takes advantage of your Psychic Weakness, and you have a measly 100 HP. Great, 120 HP with Expert Belt, but Gyarados is bulkier, and if not, better than Gallade.

1.) LuxChomp.
2.) CurseGar.
3.) Gyarados.
3.) Jumpluff
(tied for 3rd)
5.) Dialga G Variants

Most of these decks have been explained already so I won't go into much detail.

One of the decks I haven't seen mentioned in here is Gyarados. Gyarados has the ability to do 90 damage for absolutely no energies at all. IT is also a 2-stage evolution, with 130 HP. with an Expert Belt, and 3 Magikarps in the discard pile, you can do 110 damage, with 150 HP, for no energies. Techs like Blissey Prime to heal Gyarados, and Regice to discard the Magikarps make the deck fast, and Pokémon Rescue to get a Gyarados back.

I personally like Blastoise UL/Feraligatr Prime best, because if you get a good setup, you can snipe your opponents' benched Pokemon every turn! It's called Blastigator.

sablock is a total beast, donk with sableye or ambipom G, snipe with garchomp C or honchkrow G, and disrupt with let loose giratina, cyrus's initiative, judge, or lookers investigation.

Back