1-1 M-Mewtwo-EX
1-1-1 Gardevoir NXD
1-1-1 Vileplume BCR
1 Exeggcute
1 Mystery Energy
1 Prize card
1 N
48 Energy

That's an effective 97 Energy attached to the Active M-Mewtwo.

Opponent has any Psychic-weak Pokémon capable of doing 30 or more damage Active, with a Gardevoir NXD on the Bench, and 55 (an effective 110) Energy attached to the Active.

207 Energy attached between them.

207(30) = 6210.

Add the original 10 from Psychic Infinity, and then multiply by 4 for Vileplume.

M-Mewtwo can deal up to 24,880 damage.

OK, so remember Malamar from way back when, and how bb tried to make it do more with Gardevoir, before realizing that Gardevoir doesn't work on anything but Psychic-types?

Turns out there's a Psychic-type with a very similar attack––Darmanitan NXD.

Darmanitan NXD active, with Gardevoir NXD on your Bench––five slots, plus one Prize card.

Your opponent has something weak to Psychic that isn't Garbodor active, and a Vileplume on their Bench.

Darmanitan has 54 [P] Energy attached, which is 108 with Gardevoir.

If it hits all heads with DarMAXitan, it does 5,400 damage. With Vileplume and Weakness, that's 21,600.

OK, so remember Malamar from way back when, and how bb tried to make it do more with Gardevoir, before realizing that Gardevoir doesn't work on anything but Psychic-types?

Turns out there's a Psychic-type with a very similar attack––Darmanitan NXD.

Darmanitan NXD active, with Gardevoir NXD on your Bench––five slots, plus one Prize card.

Your opponent has something weak to Psychic that isn't Garbodor active, and a Vileplume on their Bench.

Darmanitan has 54 [P] Energy attached, which is 108 with Gardevoir.

If it hits all heads with DarMAXitan, it does 5,400 damage. With Vileplume and Weakness, that's 21,600.

Darmanitan NXD's damage can be upped to 21,630 if Darmanitan is attacking a Machamp PLB that just used Close Combat and flipped tails.

Back in 2014, I did 1080 damage. I was using the old rayquaza ex (60x the number of fire energy discarded). I discarded 9 fire energy against a white kyrem ex (weak to dragon). so that was 60x9x2=1080

Ah, the age old question of "what is the most damage possible in a single attack in the Pokemon Trading Card Game?"

The most damage possible without coin flips is done by using Palkia & Dialga Legend to keep replenishing your opponent's prize cards, Bronzong to keep replenishing your energy, and Lysandre's Trump Card to keep replenishing both players' decks. The opponent plays Raikou EX in this case to make it easy to KO your bench EX pokemon with 100 or less HP like Jirachi EX or lightning weak benched Pokemon EX with the help of the tool card that allows your active Pokemon to hit the bench for weakness. Vileplume doubles the amount of damage done to further speed up the damage output. Luxio's Electricounter attack does 40 damage times the number of prize cards taken by your opponent. After the opponent has taken a massive number of prize cards, hit a lightning weak Pokemon with this attack and observe the insane damage output.

Theoretically, the game could last forever and the max amount of damage depends on how long you want to play the game for. As you can see below, a demo game of the strategy I have outlined lasted about 1 hour and 30 minutes on PTCGO but the damage built up so fast once the game got to a state that it could be repeated indefinitely that we quickly surpassed the max damage output of Mewtwo EX. A 24 hour long game could result in hundreds of thousands of damage or even top 1 million depending on how fast you play.

Observe the game stats in the second screenshot, especially the number of prize cards taken. Ironically, the opponent did more damage overall.

upload_2016-6-19_23-43-41.jpeg
upload_2016-6-19_23-47-50.jpeg

Poor Magikarp.

Last edited:
With Mew-Ex using M Tyranitar's move onto a conkeldurr with craftsmanship with 52 fighting energy attached and a training center in play conkeldurr has max Hp of 1210, so if he has 1200 damage counters on him then do 110+72,000, then multiply 72,100 by 4 with vileplume on the bench and your attack does 288400 damage without any muscleband, pokeplus, or iris

With Mew-Ex using M Tyranitar's move onto a conkeldurr with craftsmanship with 52 fighting energy attached and a training center in play conkeldurr has max Hp of 1210, so if he has 1200 damage counters on him then do 110+72,000, then multiply 72,100 by 4 with vileplume on the bench and your attack does 288400 damage without any muscleband, pokeplus, or iris
Unfortunately the rules state in the original post that using Mew-EX to copy Abilities is not allowed.

Okay, so this isn't the max... But it's probably the max you'd see in an actual game:

1x Zygarde EX
1x Power Memory
1x Skyfield
4x Regirock EX
4x Machamp FFI
4x Strong Energy

K, so Skyfield in play, all 4 Machamps and all 4 Regirock EX in play. Zygarde EX in Active slot with all 4 Strong Energy and Power Memory attached. Ideally opponent has Vileplume BCR in play and a Fighting-weak Active Pokémon. Then... All Cells Burn for (200 + (20 * 4) + (20 * 4) + (10 * 4)) * 4 = 1,600.
You could have four Empoleons (breakthrough) instead of four Regirock EX because Empoleon makes every basic do 20 more damage so it would bump this by 40

Tyranitar's Attack does 60x the number of damage COUNTERS, not damage. 1200 damage is equivalent to 120 damage counters, which deals 110+7200 damage. With no further added damage from other trainer cards and effects, that is 29,240 damage due to weakness with Vileplume.

Applying any restrictions to the creativity of coming up with strategies and combos in an effort to attain the highest damage possible is absurd. We want to know what is the max damage ever possible. (Of course the one restriction that must be in place is no infinite coin flips or infinite damage. I suppose this goes for infinite prize cards taken as well although taking infinite prize cards requires absolutely no luck. This is why I propose a 24 hour game time limit at human player speeds to achieve the max damage and why I gave an estimate of how much damage could be attained with the unlimited prize card method in 24 hours time with brisk play. As far as I know, the unlimited prize card method is the only method that deals more damage the longer the game plays out, to infinity.)

Applying any restrictions to the creativity of coming up with strategies and combos in an effort to attain the highest damage possible is absurd. We want to know what is the max damage ever possible. (Of course the one restriction that must be in place is no infinite coin flips or infinite damage. I suppose this goes for infinite prize cards taken as well although taking infinite prize cards requires absolutely no luck. This is why I propose a 24 hour game time limit at human player speeds to achieve the max damage and why I gave an estimate of how much damage could be attained with the unlimited prize card method in 24 hours time with brisk play. As far as I know, the unlimited prize card method is the only method that deals more damage the longer the game plays out, to infinity.)

We also don't want multiple copies of Mew-EX in the same list. That'd be absurd. Also, that is what the original point of the thread was, so we are going to preserve that.

#1: Mewtwo-EX: Believe or not, Mewtwo can do more damage than Yveltal. With Gardevoir (NXD) and Vileplume (BCR) on the bench and 52 Psychic Energy on Mewtwo, when using X-Ball on an opposing Gardevoir (NXD) with 56 Psychic Energy attached to it, Mewtwo does 17,280 damage. Contributed bySupa_Hot_Fire.

Unfortunately, this is not possible in a game situation because the opponent cannot place 56 psychic energy without decking out first. If you start with the ideal hand of {Ralts NXD, Kirlia NXD, Gardevoir NXD, Psychic Energy, Psychic Energy, Psychic Energy, Psychic Energy}, then the only card left in your (the opponent's) deck are psychic energies. If you draw a psychic energy each turn, and attach one psychic energy each turn, then you'll always have 4 psychic energies remaining in your hand at the end of each turn. So, at most, the opposing Gardevoir NXD could only have 52 Psychic Energy attached to it.

EDIT: Clawitzer Break's Lock On Attack could potentially work instead of fluffy tag, of course, the problem is that there is no switching effect, and you need clauncher, clawitzer, and clawitzer break (3 cards), versus the two needed for fluffy tag. This could be solved however by having a float stone attached to clawitzer break (which could be put in play using archie).

Bringing this thread back from the dead (sorry not sorry) to knock the venerable Mewtwo-EX off the #1 spot. For this to work, the following conditions are required:
  • Lurantis-GX (SUM) as the attacking Pokemon, uses Chloroscythe-GX with 53 basic Grass Energy and a Choice Band attached.
  • Venusaur (Shining Legends) benched on the attacking side.
  • Vileplume (BCR) benched on the defending side.
  • Any EX/GX Pokemon that's weak to Grass as the defending Pokemon (let's use Manaphy-EX as an example)
Let's do the math:
  • Chloroscythe-GX does 50 damage times the number of basic Grass Energies attached to Lurantis-GX.
  • Venusaur's ability "Lord of the Jungle" says: Each basic [G] Energy card attached to your Pokemon provides [G][G] Energy instead. This makes the 53 basic Grass Energies attached to Lurantis-GX equivalent to 106 basic Grass Energies. 106 times 50 equals 5,300.
  • Choice band adds 30 damage before applying weakness. 5,300+30=5,330
  • Vileplume's ability Allergy Panic makes all weaknesses x4 instead of x2.
  • Hitting Manaphy-EX (which is weak to Grass) causes the damage to be multiplied by four. 5,330*4 = 21,320 damage
So, with the required conditions applied, Lurantis-GX does a whopping 21,320 damage!

EDIT: After reading through this thread, it seems like Jabberwock's DarMAXitan suggestion beats mine by 310 damage (when attacking a Machamp (PLB)).

EDIT2: AuraStormLucario mentioned placing energy without decking out. I did some estimations and I figured out that on the last turn of the game there would be one energy unattached. I updated my post to reflect this.

Last edited:
I've just added your calculations (plus the two edits) to the OP, @Elray! I've also added the Darmanitan record from a year ago that never seemed to make it to the OP. Let's see if we can find any other monster hitters, or if any of our existing records can be improved!

Back