More Classic Cards Revealed from “Pokemon Trading Card Game Classic” Box Set!

Why do we have a frickin’ Lost Thunder Onix lol?! I remember thinking that card was insane when it came out lol, but now, it kinda stinks lol! Tho, I do respect the VS Seeker! Nostalgia is hitting me with those BW/XY cards!!!

What a strange product, card designs from all different eras of the game with some cards being errata'd.

The price of this product makes it geared towards collectors and not people who want to casually play with them, which is ironic because the product seems centered around playing with friends in a controlled meta.
Yeah the only appeal to this collection box for players is probably the ex's and also the REALLY cool new damage counters and mat

Why do we have a frickin’ Lost Thunder Onix lol?! I remember thinking that card was insane when it came out lol, but now, it kinda stinks lol! Tho, I do respect the VS Seeker! Nostalgia is hitting me with those BW/XY cards!!!
That is literally what I said

Also, I'm taking that logoless Pokemon Nurse as confirmation that licensing issues are what kept the e-series cards out of Celebrations.
You might be right, but I think these are unfinished mock-ups. Like when we preview the new block's cards like 6 months prior.

Could they not have made a more balance arrangement of cards if they're gonna include sets from all eras. Its like 80% base set thats been reprinted like 2 times already. 10% new modern cards and 10% random trainers and cards from literally any era. Looks like a mess imo, would rather them just resell every base set card in one box, at least that would look cohesive.

I find the cardpool very interesting. Onix feels like it would be better if there was a Fighting-weak Pokémon ex in here somewhere, but it feels balanced alongside Chansey. A Basic that you can attach any Basic Energy or Double Colorless Energy to and hit for enough damage to Knock Out a stage 2? Feels like a decent design decision. Also, I love this card for a variety of reasons... the beautiful artwork, the Onix-like attack cost, and its quirky history as a tech in the Sun and Moon era. I actually find it ironic that Celebrations Mewtwo is very nearly a stronger version of Base Set Chansey... slightly higher HP; consistently protects itself every other turn instead of protecting itself half the time, sometimes multiple times in a row; a 2 Energy attack that will be hitting somewhere in the range of 40-100? I'm not sure the ex's are what's bothering me.
I have no idea what Raichu we might be getting in here, but Clefable from Jungle at the Lt. Surge's Raichu with Super Fang would both be smart inclusions. They could trade hits with Stage 2's and Basic ex's alike efficiently and are among the more interesting cards of the Wizards of the Coast era.
As for the Trainer card selection, it feels all over the place at first glance, but, on closer examination, it feels solid and well-designed, aside from Bill. You have your classical Professor effect, but you also have Rocket's Admin, which Jason Klaczynski cites as being one of the reasons why the EX era formats are as fun and skillful as they are (I'm guessing Yangiku would differ on that claim). Pokémon Nurse feels more balanced than Acerola, AZ, or Pokémon Center would be under similar circumstances, creating a higher skill yield as you plan which cards you will play when. Computer Search will be critical for pulling all of these pieces (your Tools, your Stage 2's, your ex's, niche supporters, and Double Colorless Energy) together when you need them, because these decks have a lot of moving parts and no aggressive ability-based draw. And VS Seeker also helps your decks function more consistently. It remains to be seen whether Boss's Orders will be included, but, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'd feel very strongly one way or the other. It would probably encourage players to be more strategic in how they allocated their resources, but I don't see it swinging games unless your opponent is attacking with an active ex you can't Knock Out.
I'm never going to be able to spend $200-300 on this thing, but I wouldn't mind printing proxies to get the experience. The preconstructed environment besides, it looks like something you'd get after drafting a cube... perhaps after drafting "the mess," but, if so, what more could you ask for from "the mess!"
Now I suppose we wait to see what Rapidash's counterparts are in the Blastoise and Venusaur decks. Probably modern stage 1's featuring Kanto Pokémon and possessing cheap attacks with low-medium damage, like 20 for 1, 50 for 2, or something like that.
It's nice to see these decks sticking to Pokémon, people, and objects relating to the Kanto or Johto regions. The VS Seeker was introduced in Kanto remakes FireRed & LeafGreen, the Charcoal is reminiscent of Azalea Town in Johto, and Rocket's Admin... was apparently the inspiration for a Pokémon Adventures character for the FireRed & LeafGreen manga? Well, Team Rocket is strongly associated with historic Pokémon. The water droplet is also reminiscent of the Cerulean City Gym Badge, and the seed bulb is reminiscent of the Bulbasaur line, but also, interestingly, of Celebi's head. That last one might be a stretch.
P.S. Throwing "random" double prize basics into stage 2-based decks absolutely screams "classic" for fans who grew up stuffing all their EXs into theme decks. I speak as the one who also took all the duplicates out of those theme decks and stuck in more Pokémon lines.

Normies can keep out of my hobby. reeee
I'm honestly quite happy that not all the cards are from they set and so on. However I think I would have rather had a Pokemon Classics format with booster sets of cards from classic sets. Something like magic does once in awhile. They don't have to be you know legal for play in any other format that's fine. But it would be nice if it were more accessible and had more variety. Like you know you get maybe one of these a year and I don't know you know you could have like stuff like Crystal Pokemon yet one every year and he get three of The Southern Islands cards every year

Back