RMT Mono Water

Sleeping Snorlax

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, so now that I have given my team some practices I would like to reach out to you all and find out what you think. My team is made up of all water type pokemon, because at the league I run I am the water gym leader. I chose to do normal Pokemon official VGC rules in the double format (bring 6, take 4). I will list my team and their purposes I have found for them so far below.

186.gif

Gamabunta
EVs: 252-HP 252-Def 4-SpDef
Nature: Calm
Ability: Drizzle
Item: Damp Rock
Moves: Scald, Rain Dance, Ice Beam, Protect
Purpose: So, obviously he is here to make it rain and wall physical moves such as earthquake. He rarely gets one-shot'd and has good base Special attack to put some damage on the board. Scald is there for a STAB water move that could potentially burn the victim. Rain dance is there in case my rain goes away VIA other weather or runs dry haha... Ice beam for type coverage and protect to survive an earthquake of my own doing.
Options: I don't have any other thoughts/problems with him. He seems to do the job that I intended him to do.

rotom-wash.gif

Washboard
EVs: 252-HP 100-Def 116-SpA 40-SpDef
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
Item: Sitrus Berry
Moves: Volt Switch, Will-O-Wisp, Hydro Pump, Protect
Purpose: To check for certain moves or to take a super effective hit from a threat. Volt Switch is here for me to retreat him without wasting a turn, and he's typically out sped by most big threats so I can safely switch into one of my big attackers, and it's just a good STAB move to have. Will-o-wisp is there for obvious reasons (my big threat being Brelume). Hydro pump is the strongest STAB water move he can get to do some damage. Protect is there to by time, or check a move.
Options: He seems to take a lot more physical damage than I expected... I may need to swap his EVs around...

Kingdra.gif

Seabiscuit
EVs: 80-HP 252-SpA 176-Spe
Nature: Modest
Ability: Swiftswim
Item: Life Orb
Moves: Surf, Dragon Pulse, Ice Beam, Protect
Purpose: My main Special attacker. Since all my walls are special attackers, I need one that is meant to do damage. Surf doesn't hurt my team too badly but can hit the opposing team pretty hard on both poke's at once. Dragon Pulse is another STAB move for damage output, but it doesn't lower my SpA which is why I run it over Draco Meteor. Ice Beam is there for the coverage and protect to give me a turn if I need to get rain back up or have swiftswim kick in.
Options: I feel he needs more coverage with maybe Flash Cannon over Ice Beam, but will that really help me?

gyarados-mega-gif.6433

Dirigible
EVs: 252-Atk 4-Def 252-Spe
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Intimidate
Item: Gyaradosite
Moves: Ice Fang, Dragon Dance, Waterfall, Earthquake
Purpose: The blimp of the sea. This big fellow is one of two mega options I have for this team. He's here if their team is too grassy for Swampert to handle. The ideal set up would be a Dragon Dance or two to potentially sweep their team, or just swap him in after a volt switch to lower their attack (not in mega form). Ice Fang to combat those that are weak, waterfall for a GREAT STAB move on this battling airship, and earthquake because it does wondrous damage.
Options: May take off one of his moves for Protect, but other than that, he's great.

Ludicolo_XY.gif

Cortes
EVs: 252-HP 188-Def 68-SpA
Nature: Modest
Ability: Rain Dish
Item: Leftovers
Moves: Fake Out, Scald, Giga Drain, Protect
Purpose: Cortes is here to conquer the unknown world, or, for the time being, be a fantastic wall. He's my answer to any greninja threat or tank gastrodon. He has fake out for a one turn stall, same thing for protect. With rain dish and leftovers, he can heal a great amount each turn. Giga Drain will take care of any bulky, weak to grass, pokemon, or he can use scald and hope for the burn.
Options: I haven't found any problems in my testing with him. Aside from his constant need to dance...

260m.gif

Will Perry
EVs: 176-HP 252-Atk 80-Spe
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Damp
Item: Swamperite
Moves: Waterfall, Earthquake, Ice Punch, Protect
Purpose: Will "the refrigerator" Perry is my other mega option. He's here to be a bulky, fast, bruiser. Using two powerful STAB moves to be able to hit anything for huge damage. Ice Punch is here for the coverage, and Protect is to stall a turn for Swiftswim to kick in.
Options: Find a way to get rid of his x4 weakness to grass :( that's my only issue here.

Please feel free to say what you think, but explain it well. I am still new to the "competitive" scene in VGC.

I'd actually like to suggest Tentacruel instead of Ludicolo as a wall. Tentacruel is slightly less physically bulky, but much more specially bulky. It'll also give you a Fairy-type switchin for Mega Gyarados and Kingdra. It can also use Black Sludge as an item, which frees up Leftovers to be used on Rotom-W. It's also faster than Ludicolo and has a better defensive typing to beat Greninja (only Extrasensory Greninjas can beat Tentacruel).

Here is the set:
Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Bold Nature
Ability: Rain Dish
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Protect
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Giga Drain

Protect is to stall. It'll allow the Poison/Burn damage to grow while collecting HP with Black Sludge and Rain Dish. Sludge Wave is for good offense that covers the field. Scald hurts in the rain and helps Tentacruel take more physical attacks. Giga Drain is filler, but it's a decent way of healing and is your best way of damaging Gastrodon. There's a lot of options for the last slot to feel free to experiment.

A friend of mine mentioned tentacruel. It's a good thought, but idk how I feel about switching ludi for him. Is the switch really worth it?

I think that Ludicolo is a solid choice. Its weaknesses for Poison and Flying type moves are covered by Rotom-W and Mega Swampert. Fake Out can help a lot for removing Focus Sash from Smeargles and Breloom which can threat your team a lot. If you want to remove Leftovers for Rotom-W, you can use the Assault Vest set which gives you another move to use instead of Protect which is important but you do have Fake Out and Assault Vest combined with Swift Swim which lets you to be able to attack most of the time without the need to scout.
Tentacruel is also nice though so I believe you just need to test them both.

A friend of mine mentioned tentacruel. It's a good thought, but idk how I feel about switching ludi for him. Is the switch really worth it?
I would only recommend Ludicolo if it was a Swift Swim variant (but even then, it's totally outclassed on the team due to having Mega Swampert and Kingdra). The defensive typing is much better than Ludicolo's (Grass isn't great defensively due to all the weaknesses; Water is a fantastic defensive typing; Poison is pretty cool due to the Fairy and Fighting resists).

Actually, you don't have any Fairy type resists on the team and with two Pokemon weak to Fairy (Kingdra and Mega Gyarados), it seems like it would have a sweet place on the team.

One other thing I'm curious about is why you're running two Megas.

In VGC most players bring 2 Mega since you bring 6 Pokemon but you need to pick 4 after team preview.
After team preview you pick the better Mega to use against the opponent's team.

From what I know, Rotom-Wash is played differently in VGC than in OU. While in OU we invest in HP and Defense, in VGC it's usually invested in HP and Special Attack, with 40-44 points on Special Defense. I don't know exactly how you mean to run it though, or if there's something specific you wanna check, so I can't suggest a specific EV spread. Moves seem alright though.

I can't remember exactly what happened but I think something came in with mold breaker and hit it with EQ and one shot my w rotom. I was shocked and caught completely off guar . @Chaos Jackal

Back