Discussion Metagross GX Post Rotation

Missingno650

Missingno Master
Advanced Member
So I am going to Regionals in Canada on Oct. 14th 2017. I was thinking of playing Golisopod GX, but now I'm leaning more towards Metagross GX. What are some good Metagross GX builds?

This Standard Metagross build has beat a Volcanion-EX deck at its own game:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 16

* 4 Beldum GRI 83
* 2 Metang GRI 84
* 4 Metagross-GX GRI 139
* 2 Necrozma-GX BUS 63
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 2 Alolan Vulpix GRI 21

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 4 Ultra Ball FLF 99
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 N NVI 92
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
* 3 Rare Candy SUM 129
* 2 Max Potion GRI 128
* 4 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

##Energy - 12

* 6 Metal Energy 8
* 6 Psychic Energy 5

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

^ Four Altar of Sunne, despite being part of a passive stadium that won't last in the event of Field Blower, virtually cannot be fully knocked to discard unless someone breaks the norm and puts in 4 field blowers and/or more than 4 different stadiums to ensure that Sunne stability is unlikely, but luckily, as most decks carry 2-3 field blowers at max, including Fire decks, a full set of Sunne means Metagross-GX and other Metals are unlikely to regain weakness to Fire... So power up Metagross/Necrozma, put the Stadium on, and you're good to go w/ virtually no worries about Metal weakness... or at least until someone fits a 4th field blower in their fire!

Last edited:
Hey Missingno Master,

I know its a bit too late but I just saw your post and thought that I could help...
The deck you see is a Solgaleo /Metagross deck that I have used to come first in league cups and challenges. Even against VOLCANION!
How this deck works is that you try and get solgaleo as fast as possible so you can use sol burst T2. Attaching 2 energies to solgaleo and 3 to either a Metagross gx or 1 beldum each. If your up against Koko, ninetales, latios SHL or Buzzwole then MAKE SURE you play that Mr.mime other wise they can do 30 damage to two bench cosmog, beldum or vulpix twice and take a potential 3 prize cards.
Why I run a 4/3/4 of metagross is because you have to share your rare candy around and solgaleo's sol burst takes priority. Three skylas' are played because you can get field blower to deactivate garbotoxin, Altar of the sunne to stop weakness or other items such as choice band, ultra ball or rare candy. As they say "Rare Candies make the world go round"

Solgaleo is in this deck purely just to get OHKO on just about everything and its more consistent because of ultra road, it has a retreat cost of three and attacks with three energies (really its a better Metagross with its attacks and no need to retreat) But in order to continuously use sunsteel strike.

Hey Missingno Master,

I know its a bit too late but I just saw your post and thought that I could help...
The deck you see is a Solgaleo /Metagross deck that I have used to come first in league cups and challenges. Even against VOLCANION!
How this deck works is that you try and get solgaleo as fast as possible so you can use sol burst T2. Attaching 2 energies to solgaleo and 3 to either a Metagross gx or 1 beldum each. If your up against Koko, ninetales, latios SHL or Buzzwole then MAKE SURE you play that Mr.mime other wise they can do 30 damage to two bench cosmog, beldum or vulpix twice and take a potential 3 prize cards.
Why I run a 4/3/4 of metagross is because you have to share your rare candy around and solgaleo's sol burst takes priority. Three skylas' are played because you can get field blower to deactivate garbotoxin, Altar of the sunne to stop weakness or other items such as choice band, ultra ball or rare candy. As they say "Rare Candies make the world go round"

Solgaleo is in this deck purely just to get OHKO on just about everything and its more consistent because of ultra road, it has a retreat cost of three and attacks with three energies (really its a better Metagross with its attacks and no need to retreat) But in order to continuously use sunsteel strike.

It looks like you were going to post your deck list, but I don't see a link. Did you forget it post? Would be interested to see what other people are doing with Metagross/Solgaleo.

Sorry here is my decklist, this one has no leles but if you have 2-3 I would replace 1 brigette and 1 Skyla for 2 lele and if you wanted to have altar of the sunne I would replace a cosmog, brigette and maybe a choice band.

4- Beldum

3- Metang

4- Metagross-GX

2- Cosmog

1- Solgaleo-GX

One- Magearna-EX

One- Alolan Vulpix

One Mr. Mime

Trainers

4- N

3- Sycamore

3- Guzma

3- Skyla

3- Brigette

4- Ultra Ball

4- Rare Candy

3- Choice Band

3- Max Potion

One Rescue Stretcher

Energy

9- Steel

The mr mime is a nice add but remember it only prevents damage from attacks,not abilitys, and also if the attack reads put x amount of damage counters on s pokemon its a effect of a attack . So mr mime would not block it. I see you use magearna . As well which does stop effects but not abilitys. Ive been trying to tech machike in instead but he a stage 1. He does all effects damage and sbilitys to bench

yes I know but it is really good to have it early game against ninetales and buzzwole and magearna is really good to stop devolution, Plea GX (Sylveon), Tapu Storm (Tapu Fini) and other annoying effects. Adding Machoke (not machike) with ruin the consistency and in some matchups bench space is precious BTW this deck list got me top 16 at the oceanic regionals (13th)

I place well with mine also. Next league cup im gonna try machoke just to see how it does instead of magearna.

I travel alot im going to greenbay n appleton next weekend. I nornal plat octery and magearna 3 metagross 1 lele and 2 sologeo

and looking at the card it can be an easy target against mirror match and other decks that play a high Skyla/Guzma count. You must play 4 Metagross-GX, Solgaleo is only used for OHKO 190-250 pokemon and for getting your self out of trouble with guzma as with out it your opponent playing guzma can be a huge disadvantage. And you already have 2 stage 2 lines having another stage 1 line that will lower the consistency of the deck

4 metagross is a waste u really only need 2 on field. N 1 energy in hand. I play 9 energy in deck. 3rd metagross is extra i onluly play to make emd game smoother. Mirror matches i never have a prob with.

I know it is pretty late but I would play Metagross GX with the upcoming DM Necrozma GX(that is, only if you want it for attack and quick setup). This is mostly because having two stage two lines is not always consistent.

I know it is pretty late but I would play Metagross GX with the upcoming DM Necrozma GX(that is, only if you want it for attack and quick setup). This is mostly because having two stage two lines is not always consistent.
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean. may you explain what the new necrozma does and how it would help metagross

4 metagross is a waste u really only need 2 on field. N 1 energy in hand. I play 9 energy in deck. 3rd Metagross is extra I only play to make end game smoother. Mirror matches I never have a prob with.
. It is easier to have three on the board because you don't have the worry of not drawing into an energy for that turn and that can be the difference between winning and losing . Yes 2 Metagross is playable but relying on luck (drawing into energies) isn't a good strategy.

4 metagross is a waste u really only need 2 on field. N 1 energy in hand. I play 9 energy in deck. 3rd metagross is extra i onluly play to make emd game smoother. Mirror matches i never have a prob with.
BS. 4 Metagross is absolutely necessary, 2 is the min. amount you need on the field, 3 is preferred. They often get killed and discarded, so 4 helps make sure you always have 1 available. I could beat that with my metagross so easily it wouldn’t even be funny.

BS. 4 Metagross is absolutely necessary, 2 is the min. amount you need on the field, 3 is preferred. They often get killed and discarded, so 4 helps make sure you always have 1 available. I could beat that with my metagross so easily it wouldn’t even be funny.

And I'm guessing you either run volcanion or golisopod or you have only played one game against it

Back