• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Metagross / Bronzong

exxtrooper

Spooky spooky tree
Pokemon (19):
  • 3 Beldum (AOR)
  • 2 Metang (AOR)
  • 3 Metagross (Magnet Warp) (AOR)
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 3 Bronzong
  • 2 Aegislash-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Dialga-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Heatran
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (27):
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Steel Shelter
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Profesor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 1 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
Energy (11):
  • 7 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

Metal Deck with versatility in mind, this deck is made for post-rotation with the addition of the new set coming 12th of august. The one thing this deck is made for is having an almost pure metal deck (other than metal m ray) work after the rotation. With so many useful cards being rotated, the main point to this deck is trying to make decks still work post rotation, something I strongly think they won't making them rogue decks at best.

At first I went a bit overboard with a Metagross line of 4-4-4, now I have pretty much redone the entire deck to be more competitive and hopefully able to hold up with all the competitive decks coming after the rotation.

Metagross

The main strategy is to hold down using Aegislash-EX, while powering up a line of attackers to deal with whatever threat the opponent has. Without Keldeo consistency in switching the heavy metal pokemon is a bit tricky, this is why the metagross with the Magnet Warp is included in the deck, as well as 4 switch and Lysandre.

Dialga-EX / Lugia-EX

The main attackers, Dialga-EX is for all non-mega evolved pokemon or finishing of anything with a higher health of 180. Lugia-EX is the versatility attacker in this deck, being able to stack up as much damage if needed be, as well as destroying unwanted stadiums in play.

Ariados

This is a very recent addition and is something very interesting I had in mind. With steel shelter out, using its poison ability won't affect any of my steel pokemon in play, making for some additional damage on the opponent to create a sense of haste for the opponent. Only letdown is it clashes with Metagross' ability as well as taking up space on the bench, and in the deck.

Trainers

Lysandre and switch are probably the most important here, as you'll want to have control of which pokemon you want on the field. I feel this deck is still lacking in draw support, and might end up with dead hand quite a lot. This is something Im not sure will work out in practice and I'm constantly making changes to it.

Any feedback of any sort is welcome, I'd like to see as many perspectives as possible to get a better idea of how these decks should be made.

Thanks for reading.

Additional cards that I might add, opinions?

Beldum – Metal – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[M] Collide: 10 damage.

[M][C][C] Spinning Attack: 30 damage.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

Metang – Metal – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Beldum

[M][C] Metal Claw: 30 damage.

[M][M][C] Bullet Punch: 50x damage. Flip 2 coins. This attack does 20 more damage for each heads.

Retreat: 3

Metagross - Metal – HP150
Stage 2 – Evolves from Metang

Ability: Magnet Warp:
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch your Active Pokemon with one of your Benched Pokemon. Then, your opponent switches their Active Pokemon with one of their Benched Pokemon.

[M][M][C][C] Iron Cannon: 80+ damage. You may discard all [M] Energy attached to this Pokemon. If you do, this attack does 80 more damage.

Retreat: 4

Ace Trainer – Trainer
Supporter

You can only play this card if you have more Prize cards left than your opponent.

Both players shuffle their hands into their deck. Then, you draw 6 cards and your opponent draws 3 cards.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Lugia-EX – Colorless – HP170
Basic Pokemon

[C][C] Aero Ball: 20x damage. Does 20 damage times the number of Energy attached to this Pokemon and the Defending Pokemon.

[C][C][C][C] Deep Hurricane: 80+ damage. If there is any Stadium card in play, this attack does 70 more damage. Discard that Stadium card.

When a Pokemon-EX has been Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1

Spinarak – Grass – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[C] String Shot: Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Resistance: none

Ariados – Grass – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Spinarak

Ability: Poison Nest
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may use this Ability. Both Active Pokemon are now Poisoned. (Excluding [G] Pokemon.)

[G][C] Corner: 30 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

Resistance: none

Hex Maniac – Trainer
Supporter

Until the end of your opponent’s next turn, each Pokemon in play, in each player’s hand, and in each player’s discard pile has no Abilities.

You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Registeel – Metal – HP120
Basic Pokemon

[M][C] Iron Head: 30x damage. Flip a coin until you get tails. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads.

[M][C][C] Imprisoning Hammer: 70 damage. If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is a Pokemon-EX, discard 1 Energy attached to it.

Retreat: 3

Pokemon (16):
  • 1 Beldum (AOR)
  • 1 Metang (AOR)
  • 1 Metagross (Magnet Warp) (AOR)
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 3 Bronzong
  • 2 Aegislash-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Dialga-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Lugia-EX (AOR)
  • 1 Spinarak (AOR)
  • 1 Ariados (AOR)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (32):
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 4 Steel Shelter
  • 4 Switch
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 1 Level Ball
  • 1 Max Potion
  • 1 Rare Candy
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Acro Bike
Energies (12):
  • 8 Metal Energy

Last edited:
I think it is a really nice deck you have made. I like the idea but I think it is hard to set it up/it takes long time. I think a 4-4-4 Metagross line is too much but it could work. An idea could be add Dialga Ex from Phantom for another attacker or a
Aegislash for some defense

I think it is a really nice deck you have made. I like the idea but I think it is hard to set it up/it takes long time. I think a 4-4-4 Metagross line is too much but it could work. An idea could be add Dialga Ex from Phantom for another attacker or a
Aegislash for some defense

I thought of that, been learning quite a lot about metal decks lately and I think just including this metagross in the already established bronzong/dialge/aegislash could work? I've never used this type of deck but i really love metal pokemon and would love for it to work.

With the rotation of keldeo, metagross really seems like the perfect substitute, maybe including rare candy? When using rare candy in a deck, do people still use the stage 1 pokemon?

With your current deck list, yes you should add some Rare Candy's. At the same time suk123 is right, this deck can't run with only Metagross you need at lest one other attacker. I am making a M Aggron EX deck and I added cards like Aegislash EX and Dialga EX. I recommend that you add them both, but if not definitely add a couple Aeigslash EX because they are great to stall, and you can easily set it up with Bronzong for an attack. One more edit you could make would be to drop one Level Ball and add one Lysandre in it's place.

Hope this helps

With your current deck list, yes you should add some Rare Candy's. At the same time suk123 is right, this deck can't run with only Metagross you need at lest one other attacker. I am making a M Aggron EX deck and I added cards like Aegislash EX and Dialga EX. I recommend that you add them both, but if not definitely add a couple Aeigslash EX because they are great to stall, and you can easily set it up with Bronzong for an attack. One more edit you could make would be to drop one Level Ball and add one Lysandre in it's place.

Hope this helps

I took all the feedback, and have learnt quite a lot more on metal decks at this point. I did a very drastic change with the metagross. What do you think of the steel shelter + ariados combo to poison the opponent in a metal deck?

Here are some recommendations for your deck list:

-1 Ariados (the poison idea will deal little damage and takes up a lot of space in your deck)
-1 Spinark (you are taking out Ariados)
-1 Lugia (Dialga EX is better, and if you keep them both that would be too many attackers)
-2 Steel Shelter (keep two because there are some poison decks in the format, plus it causes disruption)
-1 Hex Maniac (this is a waste of a supporter for a turn when I feel like you can use draw support instead)
-3 Metal Energy (you don't need so many when you can recycle with Bronzong)
-1 Ultra Ball (since I am adding draw support this won't be needed)
-1 Switch (you have so many Switches and enough draw support to find them anyways)
+2 Professor Birch's Observations (your deck is really low on draw support)
+1 Ace Trainer (your deck is low on draw support)
+2 Beldum (this is you main strategy)
+1 Metang (I am adding Rare Candies so less of these will be needed)
+2 Metagross (this is your main attacker)
+1 Rare Candy (because you are running a 3-2-3 Metagross you want more Rare Candies)
+2 Shaymin EX (you run so many items you will often have nothing in your hand, so Shaymin EX can get you a new one)

I hope all these suggestions will help!

Here are some recommendations for your deck list:

-1 Ariados (the poison idea will deal little damage and takes up a lot of space in your deck)
-1 Spinark (you are taking out Ariados)
-1 Lugia (Dialga EX is better, and if you keep them both that would be too many attackers)
-2 Steel Shelter (keep two because there are some poison decks in the format, plus it causes disruption)
-1 Hex Maniac (this is a waste of a supporter for a turn when I feel like you can use draw support instead)
-3 Metal Energy (you don't need so many when you can recycle with Bronzong)
-1 Ultra Ball (since I am adding draw support this won't be needed)
-1 Switch (you have so many Switches and enough draw support to find them anyways)
+2 Professor Birch's Observations (your deck is really low on draw support)
+1 Ace Trainer (your deck is low on draw support)
+2 Beldum (this is you main strategy)
+1 Metang (I am adding Rare Candies so less of these will be needed)
+2 Metagross (this is your main attacker)
+1 Rare Candy (because you are running a 3-2-3 Metagross you want more Rare Candies)
+2 Shaymin EX (you run so many items you will often have nothing in your hand, so Shaymin EX can get you a new one)

I hope all these suggestions will help!
At this point, metagross is just support rather than attavker, taking place of keldeo ex. I need lugia in the deck if i come up against something with mega evolutions, as i need to be able to hit for 240 damage if needed.

Well either way I recommend you take out the poison part (Ariados and Spinark). Here is some stuff your deck needs:
  • More draw support
  • A 2-2-1 Metagross line (there is no point running a 1-1-1 line, at the point just take the card out)
  • Less cards with only one copy (Ex. Rare Candy, Hex Maniac, Max Potion ect.)
  • A stronger deck list not consisting of random cards here and there
I recommend you recreate this deck list the way you want it to be including all the changes, because right now it still has cards to help support your old strategy.
Good luck with your deck building!

Well either way I recommend you take out the poison part (Ariados and Spinark). Here is some stuff your deck needs:
  • More draw support
  • A 2-2-1 Metagross line (there is no point running a 1-1-1 line, at the point just take the card out)
  • Less cards with only one copy (Ex. Rare Candy, Hex Maniac, Max Potion ect.)
  • A stronger deck list not consisting of random cards here and there
I recommend you recreate this deck list the way you want it to be including all the changes, because right now it still has cards to help support your old strategy.
Good luck with your deck building!

Thank you for being so patient with me! I really haven't been doing too much deck building, and its been a fun ride.

This is the list I've decided on for now, and I'm gonna test it out tomorrow at my league, and then i'll know whether or not it actually works at all, and if it does i'll know what changes i need to do, here's the list:

Pokemon (19):
  • 3 Beldum (AOR)
  • 2 Metang (AOR)
  • 3 Metagross (Magnet Warp) (AOR)
  • 4 Bronzor
  • 3 Bronzong
  • 2 Aegislash-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Dialga-EX (PHF)
  • 1 Heatran
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (27):
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Steel Shelter
  • 2 Wally
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Profesor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Ace Trainer
  • 1 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
Energies (11):
  • 7 Metal Energy

Good Luck! Tell me how well the deck does. Also how is Ace Trainer on your list? Doesn't that card come from Bandit Ring which has not been released in English?

Good Luck! Tell me how well the deck does. Also how is Ace Trainer on your list? Doesn't that card come from Bandit Ring which has not been released in English?

This is half the reason I'm making this deck, metagross and all it's evoloutions are also part of bandit ring, that's why I've made a bunch of english proxies to test cards before they're released:

18936506063_eb213e10d3_n.jpg

I'm just saying I really like that proxy card:) and I really like the deck idea itself but I'm wondering do u have enough attackers?

I'm just saying I really like that proxy card:) and I really like the deck idea itself but I'm wondering do u have enough attackers?
I play a Metal deck pretty similar this, it works just fine as long as you are able to get Bronzong on the bench.

I play a Metal deck pretty similar this, it works just fine as long as you are able to get Bronzong on the bench.

I tested this deck against a wide variety of decks (including but not limited to: M ray, Yveltal and Seismitoad)

Here are some rough changes to the deck I'm doing:
  • Drop the Wallys as they werent worth using as a supporter for each turn
  • The level balls seems useful, but It'd be better to replace them with evosodas to more easily get out metagross and the lack of wally
  • Replace steel shelter with Faded Town to help some damage agaisnt Mega decks, steel shelter isnt all that useful with all the switching
  • Having a line of 2-2-2 metagross to not rely on it too much, the change from wally and rare candy to evo soda is a lot slower, but a lot more consistent
  • Because of the deck being filled with Metagross lines, I got a couple dead hands, gonna cut down on the line as mentioned and add a little more draw supporters
  • More attackers, although there was a lot of pokemon in the deck, most were for metagross. Dialga and Heatran are really good attacker, and Dialgas retreat is good in certain situations. Aegislash made for some very nice walling, but I don't think i should run tow of it, but I think i might jsut in case. I need to add more dialga or heatran for attacker basics.
  • Maybe add some switch, although the metagross ability is good, i felt i wanted to have some switch sometimes
Here are some observations concerning using the new metagross
  • It has it's ups and downs, but it is a ton of fun! It's not as amazing as keldeo, but on the other hand it is a great attacker as well when needed. The ability should be used, but not relied upon. In some cases just moving both players pokemon everywhere allowed for some slight distribution, and for easy use of bronzong to refill energies.
  • Even with metagross, I think some switches are need in case I really need them.
  • Metagross is a semi tech and semi attacker in this case, and should be used accordingly for distribtion. Its not as effective as you might think as some players have pokemon with zero retreat which they can put out to migate the effect.
Metal decks in general:
  • I had a lot of questions regarding how to effectively use a metal deck at my league, and my main concern was with the loss of keldeo and float stone and how to use it post rotation
  • They thought metagross was decent, but not a replacement. A person at my league says you can still just use an aegislash and 3 dialga which is what he's using, saying that metal decks aren't really "dead" with the loss of keldeo
  • They all, like me, really want metagross to succeed.
  • Playing with a metal decks and filling up metal energy was fun with all the recycling. Up until now all my playtime has consisted of me using a item lock deck trevenant, and it was a nice change of pace having a more bulky set of pokemon as well as it being good against a wide variety of matchups.

I'm gonna do more testing on this in days to come, as well as making a giratina deck as well.

Any thoughts? Also how does your metal deck look like and how does it function?

I tested this deck against a wide variety of decks (including but not limited to: M ray, Yveltal and Seismitoad)

Here are some rough changes to the deck I'm doing:
  • Drop the Wallys as they werent worth using as a supporter for each turn
  • The level balls seems useful, but It'd be better to replace them with evosodas to more easily get out metagross and the lack of wally
  • Replace steel shelter with Faded Town to help some damage agaisnt Mega decks, steel shelter isnt all that useful with all the switching
  • Having a line of 2-2-2 metagross to not rely on it too much, the change from wally and rare candy to evo soda is a lot slower, but a lot more consistent
  • Because of the deck being filled with Metagross lines, I got a couple dead hands, gonna cut down on the line as mentioned and add a little more draw supporters
  • More attackers, although there was a lot of pokemon in the deck, most were for metagross. Dialga and Heatran are really good attacker, and Dialgas retreat is good in certain situations. Aegislash made for some very nice walling, but I don't think i should run tow of it, but I think i might jsut in case. I need to add more dialga or heatran for attacker basics.
  • Maybe add some switch, although the metagross ability is good, i felt i wanted to have some switch sometimes
Here are some observations concerning using the new metagross
  • It has it's ups and downs, but it is a ton of fun! It's not as amazing as keldeo, but on the other hand it is a great attacker as well when needed. The ability should be used, but not relied upon. In some cases just moving both players pokemon everywhere allowed for some slight distribution, and for easy use of bronzong to refill energies.
  • Even with metagross, I think some switches are need in case I really need them.
  • Metagross is a semi tech and semi attacker in this case, and should be used accordingly for distribtion. Its not as effective as you might think as some players have pokemon with zero retreat which they can put out to migate the effect.
Metal decks in general:
  • I had a lot of questions regarding how to effectively use a metal deck at my league, and my main concern was with the loss of keldeo and float stone and how to use it post rotation
  • They thought metagross was decent, but not a replacement. A person at my league says you can still just use an aegislash and 3 dialga which is what he's using, saying that metal decks aren't really "dead" with the loss of keldeo
  • They all, like me, really want metagross to succeed.
  • Playing with a metal decks and filling up metal energy was fun with all the recycling. Up until now all my playtime has consisted of me using a item lock deck trevenant, and it was a nice change of pace having a more bulky set of pokemon as well as it being good against a wide variety of matchups.

I'm gonna do more testing on this in days to come, as well as making a giratina deck as well.

Any thoughts? Also how does your metal deck look like and how does it function?
Well my Metal deck looks a lot like yours, but there is a M Aggron EX line instead of Metagross and all cards related to it. I actually find with a little bit of luck my deck is consistent and fast. I have deck tested against a variety of decks (ex. M Sceptile Ex, M Rayquaza Ex, Giratina Ex, and even Bunnelby/Ninjask) and edited my deck to hopefully create a strong deck. Honestly, with my deck the thought process is pretty straight forward! Get M Aggron out, have Bronzong on the bench bringing energies from the discard pile back onto another attacker like Dialga Ex. I feel my deck also has a good ratio with draw support and VS Seeker for when I need it. If you deck test enough you can edit your deck to work with Metagross while still being fast.
That guy at your league is actually right, metal decks are in no way "dead". They still have the potential to do well against the new meta. For example, with Ex's becoming so important in the new meta Dialga Ex's move Chrono Wind combined with Full Metal Impact makes for a strong combination. Like I said before, the best thing to do is deck test and see where it takes you.

Hope this helped, here is a link to my deck list in case you wanna look at it.
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/xy-on-m-aggron-ex-bronzong.124412/

Well my Metal deck looks a lot like yours, but there is a M Aggron EX line instead of Metagross and all cards related to it. I actually find with a little bit of luck my deck is consistent and fast. I have deck tested against a variety of decks (ex. M Sceptile Ex, M Rayquaza Ex, Giratina Ex, and even Bunnelby/Ninjask) and edited my deck to hopefully create a strong deck. Honestly, with my deck the thought process is pretty straight forward! Get M Aggron out, have Bronzong on the bench bringing energies from the discard pile back onto another attacker like Dialga Ex. I feel my deck also has a good ratio with draw support and VS Seeker for when I need it. If you deck test enough you can edit your deck to work with Metagross while still being fast.
That guy at your league is actually right, metal decks are in no way "dead". They still have the potential to do well against the new meta. For example, with Ex's becoming so important in the new meta Dialga Ex's move Chrono Wind combined with Full Metal Impact makes for a strong combination. Like I said before, the best thing to do is deck test and see where it takes you.

Hope this helped, here is a link to my deck list in case you wanna look at it.
http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/xy-on-m-aggron-ex-bronzong.124412/

Nice! I checked out your decklist and made some more changes accordingly. I'm not too much fan of aggron as it's a game of chance, but he is very bulky to boot.

Here is how the deck is currently, the two empty sleeves are just placeholders as the extra dialga and birch are not available at this time, the steel shelter is also proxy for faded town. I'm waiting to test this version, but it should be better than the previous version:

JLAU0DG.jpg

Nice! I checked out your decklist and made some more changes accordingly. I'm not too much fan of aggron as it's a game of chance, but he is very bulky to boot.

Here is how the deck is currently, the two empty sleeves are just placeholders as the extra dialga and birch are not available at this time, the steel shelter is also proxy for faded town. I'm waiting to test this version, but it should be better than the previous version:

-snip-

Is that VS Seeker a proxy card as well? The DCE seem to be from deviantart, correct?

JLAU0DG.jpg

If these are changes to your list, you should update your deck list in the original post.

Have you considered Registeel? I feel as though he might be good in these kinds of decks to deal with Giratina and other, not-so-friendly people who use DCEs and DDEs, like Rayquaza. I mean, they only have so many, amiright?

Also, you shouldn't forget that Metagross can attack. For the same Energy cost that Dialga takes, you can use his attack to hit 180's. Very useful in tight situations, and it's not like he'll be stuck active thanks to that ability of his. :p I realize he's there for support, but even so -- could be useful to consider.

Back