IVs (in order of HP/Atk/Def/Sp. Atk/Sp. Def/Speed):
31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 HP/128 Sp. Atk/128 Def
Moveset:
Recover/Protect
Toxic/Toxic Spikes
Venoshock
Scald

Ok, I know this may be a little strange, but hear me out. Here is how this set works:
By first poisoning the defending Pokémon, you set up to then come in and attack. Venoshock's power is doubled due to poison, plus it gets STAB, and on top of that, it becomes a critical hit due to Toxapex's ability, Merciless. Scald is also used as a backup attack that also gets STAB, and can be a critical hit if the defending Pokémon is poisoned. I am unsure of how well this will work, as I have not done much testing, but in theory, this could work very well.

Anyway, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-AlphaVoxel

Last edited:
Hey AlphaVoxel,

While Merciless Toxapex saw a lot of hype in he beginning of the era, it did not live up to it. The reality is that trying to sweep with a Pokemon with 53 Special Attack (around the same as Rattata, and we all know how bad Rattata is) simply doesn't work. Even with maxed out offenses, you still won't be OHKOing much, and as a sweeper, Toxapex struggles with its Snorlax level speed. Furthermore, by doing it you compromise on Toxapex' biggest selling point, and the only reason it has any usage in today's metagame: it's status as a bulky pivot with Regenerator that simply won't die.

I've tried it and instantly regretted it.

Oh, ok. I suppose that makes sense. I am fairly new to the competitive scene, and I am still trying to figure out what could work, and what won't. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! And if I may ask, do you know where I can get some decent team building help? I have registered for the international challenge, and I need a good team.

Last edited:
Oh, ok. I suppose that makes sense. I am fairly new to the competitive scene, and I am still trying to figure out what could work, and what won't. Anyway, thanks for the feedback! And if I may ask, do you know where I can get some decent team building help? I have registered for the international challenge, and I need a good team.
PokeBeach offers a tutoring program! I'm not sure who is on our list of tutors, but you can talk to @Equinox who can point you in the right direction.

Back