Meganium + Max potion = tank

AmishEskimoNinja

Hating durant since 11/16/11
Poor meganium prime. No one loved you. But for the first time I'm pulling you out of my binder...

The ability to free and unlimited movement of grass energy certainly has some very good uses now that max potion is out. You can tank with meganium, moving energy away, using max potion, and moving it back. Or you can use it in a support role with any grass or colorless pokemon. Fire decks would be a problem, but the ability samurott can run with just grass energy, doing enough damage to OHKO Resharim and Typhlosion. Or a single rainbow energy lets you kill Emboar. Neat, huh?

The problem is there are no good grass attackers except for Jumpluff, who only uses 1 grass energy anyway, so Meganium is useless with it. It's attack is really bad too so I wouldn't use it for that. Also, its really too slow and its catcher bait even if there were anything it could be played with.

You don't need a grass attacker besides meganium. Although Yanmega would probably work well since it also can use max potion.

As far as slow, I'll give you that. You could use celebi for acceleration. It doesn't matter where the energy goes afterall. And since when is 80 damage bad? The only SP pokemon that did 80 damage was DGX. With 4 max potion and 4 junk arm, you shouldn't be giving up any prizes. 80 damage will take its toll eventually.

I don't think this will work for one reason. Catcher. All your Meganiums will be Catcher'd up, and ko'd. Reshiram takes advantage of it's weakness too. Once it's Catcher'd and ko'd, it will be hard to get another too.

You could always run Metapod to help get rid of weakness. This isn't a bad Idea but the problem is the, of course fire or anything that can deal a crapload of damage.

Yanmega's fine points are that it hits for free and it can abuse Max Potion without Meganium. As for using Meganium itself as the attacker, that's like using Abiliboar as your main attacker, but without energy acceleration. Oh, and a worse type. Metapod would be necessary to prevent Reshiram from OHKOing you, but then the Reshiram player just catchers up Metapod and kills that for a prize, then finishes your Meganiums. I guess it could do something aganst a deck without a fire type, but only testing would tell. I just think its too slow to have 80 damage matter. Sure donphan hits 60 and yanmega hits 70 but the attractiveness of that is they can easily do that turn 2. Meganium, even with Celebi could only start hitting turn 3 (turn 2 if you use switch) but you'd need a godly start to get that off. Turn 4 would be more likely, and hitting 80 turn 4 just isn't that attractive, even if you can tank with max potion. However, it could work against a non-fire deck, you'd just have to test it.

glaceon said:
I don't think this will work for one reason. Catcher. All your Meganiums will be Catcher'd up, and ko'd. Reshiram takes advantage of it's weakness too. Once it's Catcher'd and ko'd, it will be hard to get another too.

But meganium is your attacker. Is supposed to be active. Unless they're playing fire, in which case you use a counter of some sort.

corabed said:
You could use Vileplume to lock Catcher... just a thought.

While I could, it would prevent me from playing max potion, which is the entire point of the deck. And as I just pointed out, catcher isn't a problem.

Wha..?

Ok...

Your Meganiums will take a long time to setup, and Bayleefs and Chikoritas will most likely be ko'd before you get a Meganium out, and it can't tank against TyRam or Magnezone decks because both of them can ko Meganium in one hit. And after that it will be really hard to get another one out.

Against Donphan, Donphan can EQ enough damage onto Reshiram, so it can ko Meganium, or send Reshiram up so you have to waste Catchers or attack it.

Meganium + Reuniclus

Move grass energy off of Meganium, move all damage counters on your Pokemon to it, use Max Potion to heal it and then move the energies back :O

(...Leaves to Make Decklist)

This is pretty interesting. Yeah, Reshiram will rip you apart, you could use Sunflora to help you get set up a little more quickly. 1-0-1 Samurott could be your Fire counter.

^The deck As I'm thinking right now is 4-3-4 Meganium, 3-2-3 Samurott, 2 manaphy or cleffa. So if you're fighting a donphan or resharim, you just tank with samurott, and heal when you can.

FlamingDriscoll09 said:
Meganium + Reuniclus

Move grass energy off of Meganium, move all damage counters on your Pokemon to it, use Max Potion to heal it and then move the energies back :O

(...Leaves to Make Decklist)

There's no point in Reuniclus then, you're just going to heal with Max Potion because of the Power every time. You need a Reshiram counter and a Gothitelle counter too.

Tyraniking said:
There's no point in Reuniclus then, you're just going to heal with Max Potion because of the Power every time. You need a Reshiram counter and a Gothitelle counter too.

The best gothitelle counter is gothitelle...

Jahikoi said:
The best gothitelle counters are emboar, magnezone, RDL, and mew prime

and

catcher

Sorry, how does catcher counter Gothitelle when Gothitelle locks your trainers? Its a dead draw against Gothitelle, big difference. You might want to read Gothitelle again.

I think he means dragging out Gothetelle's prevolutions before it can reach its final stage. Magneboar could probably beat Gothetelle pretty handily in terms of damage, but it needs some way of surviving Catcher. Heavy dose of Reshiram early game with Twins and Retrieval/Fisherman might make it possible. Catcher put a serious monkey wrench into that deck though.

Megazone is almost certainly better, though. It has a faster early game to drag out and kill prevolutions, and something like a Jirachi tech could wipe out the damage lock if Goth relies too much on candy.

As far as Meganium goes, it might have been a good idea without Catcher. With Catcher, I think the others are right, you gotta run Vileplume. Now, instead of running Max potion which is obviously locked, you could opt to run Blissey Prime and Seekers. You get the same tank potential, but you can't get dragged out. You still have the problem of a poor attacker though. Run 4 Twins, because like a lot of Vileplume decks, you're going to fall behind early.

Back