• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mega Rayquaza Raichu deck (My first competitive deck)

Tasty Nugget

Aspiring Trainer
Ok, so I want to run a mega rayquaza deck as I am new to the competitive pokemon tcg scene and I'm having trouble making everything fit. Any suggestions are helpful! I don't want to pay $50+ each for shaymins.

Pokemon: 15
3x M Rayquaza EX (colorless) ROS
1x Rayquaza EX (colorless) ROS
1x Rayquaza EX (dragon) ROS
1x Rayquaza EX XY69
2x Raichu GEN
2x Pikachu GEN
1x Hoopa EX AOR
2x Dragonite EX EVO
2x Lugia FCO

Trainers: 34
3x Rayquaza Spirit Link
4x Sky Field
4x Ultra Ball
2x N
3x Mega Turbo
2x Lysandre
2x Super Rod
4x VS Seeker
2x Winona
4x Professor Sycamore
1x Skyla
1x Escape Rope
1x Olympia
1x Special Charge

Energy: 11
4x DCE
7x Lightning Energy

There, I've fixed the deck list. I can't afford enough Jolteon EX so I'm sticking with Raichu. If you have any more suggestions, don't be afraid to tell me!

Last edited:
I would recommend using Super Rods instead of Brock's Grit. Get some back in the deck but you still have your supporter to use for the turn. Also, run Skyla in the event you are just missing a Spirit Link or a Mega Turbo to be able to fire off a big turn. The Ninetails line may make it a bit more clunky. Maybe go for basics instead to help fill the bench faster and give you better options to pull back with the Dragonite. Oranguru is not a bad option there. If you have or can get a Jolteon EX that works well in this deck since you are using lightning energy (free retreat and forces people to play around its attack if they are basic-heavy). Also, keep 4 Sky Returns as you need to keep ahead in the stadium battle.

@akealon made some solid points, IMO; and I'd like to augment those comments with the following:
  • Although the Ninetales line will fill spots on your bench, it's also requires time to setup and it not useful as an alternative attacker at all. It's only roll is to make your Skyfield Stadium "stick" and that tactic may not even work. IMO, the Ninetales line are too easy Lysandre targets and just adds more clutter than its worth.
  • Secondly, running Oranguru instead of Octillery is easier to setup (its a Basic and can be searched for and retrieved with Winona), provides limited supplemental card draw support, can be a decent alternate attacker and opens upon a few deck slots. Seems more beneficial to me.
Suggested deck changes:

-2 Ninetales
-2 Vulpix
-2 Octillery
-2 Remoraid
-2 Brock's Grit

+2 Oranguru
+1 Escape Rope / Switch - to get unwanted/unneeded Active Pokemon back to the bench
+1 Professor Sycamore - "strongest" card-draw support - needed especially early game
+1 Mega Turbo
+1 Olympia - provides some healing, reusable (via VS Seeker) and can get unwanted/unneeded Active Pokemon back to the bench
+1 Special Charge - to recover and recycle discarded DCE
+1 Skyla
+2 Super Rod

I hope you find these comments helpful.

I honestly think running Raichu parallel with Mega Ray is a bad choice. The reason I say this is because both require the same setup to do their damage. While there is symmetry there, you also run into the issue of both getting their damage reduced significantly via the same parallel city. I saw that you said cash is short, but if you could acquire a couple of Jolteon EX, I think that would make a lot more sense in this deck (there are really a lot of good partners for Mega Ray, Jolteon is one that I really like and is effective against a wide range of decks).

Me and my son buiLt this since they have the same attack but you're better off focusing on mega ray and dropping raichu.

@akealon made some solid points, IMO; and I'd like to augment those comments with the following:
  • Although the Ninetales line will fill spots on your bench, it's also requires time to setup and it not useful as an alternative attacker at all. It's only roll is to make your Skyfield Stadium "stick" and that tactic may not even work. IMO, the Ninetales line are too easy Lysandre targets and just adds more clutter than its worth.
  • Secondly, running Oranguru instead of Octillery is easier to setup (its a Basic and can be searched for and retrieved with Winona), provides limited supplemental card draw support, can be a decent alternate attacker and opens upon a few deck slots. Seems more beneficial to me.
Suggested deck changes:

-2 Ninetales
-2 Vulpix
-2 Octillery
-2 Remoraid
-2 Brock's Grit

+2 Oranguru
+1 Escape Rope / Switch - to get unwanted/unneeded Active Pokemon back to the bench
+1 Professor Sycamore - "strongest" card-draw support - needed especially early game
+1 Mega Turbo
+1 Olympia - provides some healing, reusable (via VS Seeker) and can get unwanted/unneeded Active Pokemon back to the bench
+1 Special Charge - to recover and recycle discarded DCE
+1 Skyla
+2 Super Rod

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Thanks! I'll definitely try that out! The only card out of those that I don't already have is oranguru so didn't even think of putting it in there.

Do you think I could put some Lugia from Fates Collide in there? If so, what should I take out to make room for them?

Do you think I could put some Lugia from Fates Collide in there? If so, what should I take out to make room for them?
IMO, the only (?) slots to play with at this point (i.e., given my above suggestions) would be those allocated to Oranguru which I feel provides greater overall supplemental support (card-draw and attack). But, test both Pokémon (use proxies if need be) and determine which you like more.

IMO, the only (?) slots to play with at this point (i.e., given my above suggestions) would be those allocated to Oranguru which I feel provides greater overall supplemental support (card-draw and attack). But, test both Pokémon (use proxies if need be) and determine which you like more.
I like both lugia and oranguru and after testing I don't think that oranguru's ability is worth it over lugia's because I rarely have less than 3 cards in my hand that I can't play, whereas EXs are nearly everywhere. I'll definitely try both though!

Back