XY Mega Evolution: Mega Pokémon & Info

I'M STILL Trying to "warm up" to these Megas..so which one or more is the Best mega, BEST ALL AROUND TOO. And be sure to add why..please..thank you. (If this double posts I'm sorry, doing this from a smartphone)

My fav is mega absol is its other eye a different colour? Its secretly hidden beneath all that fur :) I like to hav him in the middle of my team in a triple battle, therefore all that strength can be thrown around anywhere and blizzard strikes stunningly :D

Is it 100% confirmed that these are the only megas? We know Latias/Latios gets a mega that hasn't been released yet, and they, along with all discovered megas, were on a trademarked list. Jynx was also on that list but there hasn't been a mega stone found yet for her. There are also no gen five pokemon receiving megas. There's also only one ice and ground type mega (and secondary types at that !) Should we expect more later, or have we reched that point now where nothing is new?

Aerodactyl said:
Is it 100% confirmed that these are the only megas? We know Latias/Latios gets a mega that hasn't been released yet, and they, along with all discovered megas, were on a trademarked list. Jynx was also on that list but there hasn't been a mega stone found yet for her. There are also no gen five pokemon receiving megas. There's also only one ice and ground type mega (and secondary types at that !) Should we expect more later, or have we reched that point now where nothing is new?

I'd bet money on DLC stones. There were the rumored Druddigon and Chandelure mega stones and ONE person claimed they had Glavantualite in a pre-realease copy. I remember that list and I'm not sure on Jynx. I don't play during the Stone hunting timeframe much but I'm pretty sure that's it so far.

Aerodactyl said:

Pretty sure we're going to get more. I expect a few to be revealed when Pokebank releases and then probably some more later on. I'm hoping for a Typhlosion mega and (less likely) a Reshiram mega.

AwesomeReshiram said:
Aerodactyl said:

Pretty sure we're going to get more. I expect a few to be revealed when Pokebank releases and then probably some more later on. I'm hoping for a Typhlosion mega and (less likely) a Reshiram mega.

I don't know about near Bank release. Maybe there'll be DLC's in the future or something but I don't see them releasing them with the release of Bank.

Mega Evolution: Worst to Best (Opinion)

This is my opinion on each mega evo listed below. I've included Stat distribution vs. Move set, Typing, Ability and BST (To a lesser extent). Remember that this list is what I think and should not be treated as informative info.

Charizard X - Fire/Dragon
Ability: Tough Claws - Completely missed opportunity. It learns few STAB Moves to support this Ability.
Stats: Very Attack based - Even though both of Charizard X's Attack Stats are equal, its Ability almost forces you to use just Physical moves, as 'zard X doesn't learn any of the Special moves which make Physical contact. When it comes to STAB, it doesn't really have many options, as it's stuck with Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw. Charizard X sadly doesn't learn any moves to cover its new Ground type weakness.
BST: 634 - It has the biggest BST of all Mega Evolving Starters.

Charizard Y - Fire/Flying
Ability: Drought - Good Ability for its typing, as it makes Charizard Y less susceptible to Water Type moves.
Stats: Special Defense and Extremely Special Attack based - Charizard Y can learn quite a lot of Fire type moves to support its huge Special Attack Stat. On the other hand, its only Special Attack Flying type move is Air Cutter. When it comes to non-STAB moves, it doesn't have very many options other than Dragon Pulse and Solar Beam.
BST: 634 - It has the biggest BST of all Mega Evolving Starters.

Gengar - Ghost/Poison
Ability: Shadow Tag - This unfortunately gives it a weakness to Ground type moves.
Stats: Speed and Extremely Special Attack based - Like Mega Alakazam, it learns quite a few moves to support its Special Attack, like Shadow Ball and also has access to Will-O-Wisp and Confuse Ray. To cover its new Ground type weakness, Gengar has Energy Ball.
BST: 600

Alakazam - Psychic
Ability: Trace - Luck of the draw.
Stats: Very Special Attack and Speed based - Alakazam learns a few moves to complement its Special Attack like Psychic, as well as having access to Calm Mind, Guard Swap and Dual Screens.
BST: 590 - BST only went up by 90 instead of 100.

Venusaur - Grass/Poison
Ability: Think Fat - Great for its typing, as it covers its Fire and Ice weaknesses.
Stats: Very Defensive and Special Attack based - The Special Attack Stat doesn't reflect too well on its Move set, as most of the Special Attack Grass type moves Venusaur learns have bad side effects like Confusion and Stat drop, but it does have a few good moves in there, like Energy Ball and Solar Beam (With Sunny Day). As for Poison type moves, it only gets 5 in its entire moves set, thankfully none of which are Physical.
BST: 625 - It has the smallest BST of all Mega Evolving Starters.

Blastoise - Water
Ability: Mega Launcher - A good Ability, which kind of sets up its whole move set.
Stats: Special Attack and Defense based - Because of its Ability, its entire move set has the potential to be the equivalent to STAB (As long as you have a Male Clawitzer).
BST: 630

Blob, you forget Dragon Claw becomes STAB and activates the Tough Claws ability on Charizard X. You're also missing quite a few Mega Evos. Not a bad start though. Please refrain from claiming the list is from "best to worst" as the mega evolutions do not perfectly parallel each other and many can be good or bad based purely on what team you use it on and/or what moves you teach.

@Blob, Charizard Y learns Air Slash which isn't that good in power, but Flying STAB isn't 100% essential for it. Most of the time a sun-boosted Fire Blast will do the same amount, if not more. It's best moveset (from what I've seen) is Fire Blast, Focus Miss, Solarbeam and Roost which gives it all-round good coverage and reliable healing.
(I would say Charizard should get Hurricane, but that would be awful with Drought)

Also, you seem to think Mega Venusaur should be solely a special attacker. I can kinda see where you're coming from, but it's defensive presence should not be overrated. With it's huge bulk, now neutral damage from Fire/Ice due to Thick Fat essentially leaving it with 2 weaknesses (both of which are uncommon outside of STAB) and Giga Drain/Leech Seed to help replenish HP, it's probably one of the better Grass types to use defensively.
Give it Sleep Powder, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb and Leech Seed and it will be the most annoying Pokemon ever.

His Goominess, I did mention Mega Venusaur has a great Ability which covers two of its weaknesses.
Also, Charizard can learn both Air Slash and Air Cutter. I missed Air Slash.

Hey now, lets not forget Mega Khan. Scrappy Power-Up Punch double attack boost=WIN.

This is my opinion on each mega evo listed below. I've included Stat distribution vs. Move set, Typing, Ability and BST (To a lesser extent). Remember that this list is what I think and should not be treated as informative info.

Pinsir - Bug/Flying
Ability: Aerilate - Makes up for its lack of Flying-Type Moves.
Stats: Attack and Defense Based - Unfortunately, Pinsir doesn't learn many STAB moves, with only two Physical Bugs Moves in its arsenal and an abundance of Fight-Type Moves, you have to question why Game Freak decided to make it part Flying Type at all. It also doesn't learn many Normal Type moves and has about 2 or 3 to work with.
BST: 600 - Same as Mega Gengar.

Mewtwo Y - Psychic
Ability: Insomnia - Really?
Stats: Speed and Extremely Attack Based - I can understand why Mewtwo X would gain a boost in the Attack Stat, but why Mewtwo Y? Its Special Attack already overshadows its Attack Stat, so why even bother? It also has a problem with Defense, as the attacks it's weak to tend to be Physical and the slight increase in Speed it gets may not be enough for it to cope. As for the Special Attacks it gets, it has more than enough in its arsenal.
BST: 780 - Same as Mewtwo X.

Gyarados - Water/Dark
Ability: Mold Breaker
Stats: Attack and Special Defense Based - The only Physical Dark type move it learns in Bite and it's pretty weak, however, it's still better than having no STAB Moves with its secondary Typing. Gyarados has a couple of Physical water Type moves, but unfortunately doesn't learn any moves to scare off its new weaknesses. Fortunately, its Defense Stats are quite high, so it may be tough enough to endure a few Fighting or Electric Type Moves.
BST: 640

Mewtwo X - Psychic/Fighting
Ability: Steadfast - I'm sorry, what?
Stats: Speed and Extremely Attack Based - Good in both attacks, but seems to be more Physically based. Most of its moves are Special, including its one decent Fighting Type Move and mediocre Psychic Move, which is why it kept its 154 in Special Attack. Overall, the huge boost to Mewtwo's Attack Stat seems to be a waste and is better off as regular Mewtwo, unless you like the slight boost in Defenses. Then again, it does get Earthquake.
BST: 780 - Mightier than God.

Kangaskhan - Normal
Ability: Parental Bond - Very cheap Ability.
Stats: Pretty even. They're best in Attack, but all of their other stats, bar Special Attack, are pretty even - They don't learn many moves with very high attack power, but with each move attacking twice, they more than make up for it. On the other hand, with STAB Return, Kangaskan is incredibly cheap, as the Move has more than 160 Base Attack power. In fact, this ability makes Cut good.
BST: 590 - Same as Mega Alakazam.

Aerodactyl - Rock/Flying
Ability: Tough Claws - None of the Rock Type Moves it learns get a boost from this Ability.
Stats: Very Speed and Attack based - Doesn't have many good Flying Type Moves, so you may have to stick with Roost. Other than that, Aerodactyl learns plenty of Physical moves for its Ability, however, the strongest ones don't seem to be affected by Tough Claws.
BST: 615

Blob55 said:
His Goominess, I did mention Mega Venusaur has a great Ability which covers two of its weaknesses.

I know you mentioned Thick Fat, but I was more pointing out you hardly talked about Mega Venusaur's amazing defensive potential. (Which is a huge selling point for it)

Edit: Can you elaborate when you say M Pinsir's Aerilate isn't as strong as STAB? I really can't see where you're coming from. (and Aerilate is an amazing ability btw, it means it gets STAB + a 30% boost on all Normal moves - iirc, with it Quick Attack gets to around 90 bp)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

His Goominess said:
Blob55 said:

I know you mentioned Thick Fat, but I was more pointing out you hardly talked about Mega Venusaur's amazing defensive potential. (Which is a huge selling point for it)

Edit: Can you elaborate when you say M Pinsir's Aerilate isn't as strong as STAB? I really can't see where you're coming from. (and Aerilate is an amazing ability btw, it means it gets STAB + a 30% boost on all Normal moves - iirc, with it Quick Attack gets to around 90 bp)

I mean, since it doesn't get any Flying type moves, all Normal moves just get a 30% boost, instead of 50%. At least that's what it made it look like.

Blob55 said:
His Goominess said:

I mean, since it doesn't get any Flying type moves, all Normal moves just get a 30% boost, instead of 50%. At least that's what it made it look like.

Aerilate gives Pinsir's Normal moves STAB + a 30% power boost.
Since the moves are turned to Flying, it means they are it's STAB.

Houndoom - Dark/Fire
Ability: Solar Power - Is there much point to this Ability? Does it really need a boost to its already powerful Special Attack?
Stats: Special Attack and Speed Based. Its other Stats are fairly evenly distributed, but less well than Mega Kangaskhan - It learns all the good Physical Dark type moves, but only one Special Dark Type Move and not even the best one. Has a few good Fire Type Moves, but all but Flamethrower seem to have bad side effects. Overall, it has a pretty bad Moveset and its Ability is made pointless by Nasty Plot.
BST: 600 - Same as the Mega Bugs and Mega Gengar.

Ampharos - Electric/Dragon
Ability: Mold Breaker
Stats: Special Attack and Semi-Defense based - Learns many Special Attack moves, but only one Dragon type Move. It also doesn't learn Trick Room, despite its very slow speed, but it does learn Electro Ball strangely enough. o_O As for Status Moves, it learns Confuse Ray, Cotton Guard, Thunder Wave, Dual Screens and Rain Dance.
BST: 610

Tyranitar - Rock/Dark
Ability: Sand Stream - Gains a nice Defensive boost from it
Stats: Attack and Defense Based - Learns a lot of Physical Moves, but doesn't learn any Dark Type Moves stronger than Crunch. It also has a ton of weaknesses and its slow speed will probably hinder it more. Fortunately, a lot of its weaknesses will be affected by Sand Stream.
BST: 700

Heracross - Bug/Fighting
Ability: Skill Link
Stats: Very Attack and somewhat Defense based - With its great Attack Stat and its Ability, Arm Thrust has 112 power plus STAB, Pin Missile 187 power plus STAB and Rock Blast - a Move it can use to fend off its Flying and Fire type weaknesses, has 125. Its speed isn't that high, but its Defenses may let it survive Fire or Psychic Moves, but probably not its double weakness to Flying Types.
BST: 600 - Same as its Bug Type counterparts and Mega Gengar.

Scizor - Bug/Steel
Ability: Technician - All of its weaker STAB moves are worse than or equal to its better STAB moves, even with this Ability. Non-STAB Moves, are, however better with this Ability.
Stats: Attack and Defense based - Learns plenty of Attack Moves like X-Scissor and Iron Head, as well as a few Status Moves, like Swords Dance, Roost and Dual Screens. Its speed is pretty slow, but fortunately only has one weakness.
BST: 600 - Same as Mega Gengar and Mega Pinsir.

Back