• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Mega Charizard (Post-Rotation)

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
I was thinking that with Kiawe on the scene, Mega Charizard might finally be viable! The thought of being able to get a Mega Charizard fully powered up and ready to attack on Turn 2 feels really good and evil.

1090218.jpg

Pokémon - 12

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 3 Charizard-EX PR-XY XY121
* 1 M Charizard-EX EVO 101
* 2 M Charizard-EX GEN 12
* 1 Turtonator-GX GRI 131
* 1 Victini GRI 10
* 1 Volcanion STS 25
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60

Trainer Cards - 28

* 4 Kiawe BUS 116
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 2 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118
* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 2 N FAC 105
* 1 Pokemon Center Lady GEN 68
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 3 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Charizard Spirit Link EVO 75
* 2 Skyla BKT 148
* 2 Field Blower GRI 163
* 2 Float Stone BKT 137
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128

Energy - 14

* 12 Fire Energy EVO 92
* 2 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

Total Cards - 60

Pokemon:

I've been playtesting this deck for a while now, and it works pretty well. The Generations M Charizard EX (which I shall call Charizard X) is my main attacker; it is the only Mega Charizard that does not have a significant drawback with its attack. I also pack one M Charizard EX from Evolutions (Charizard Y from here on), partly to have a nuclear option, but mostly because I only have 2 Xs. All of the basic Charizard-EXs are the Combustion Blast variety.

My supporting Pokemon are two Leles, an Oranguru, a Turtonator-GX, a Volcanion, and a Victini. Lele serves to make Kiawe available early on, as well as provide additional supporters later on or deal with Water threats. Turtonator and Volcanion are emergency energy accelerators and set-up men in case I cannot get Kiawe for some reason. Victini's job is to provide Victory Star support to Charizard X and make its coin flips more reliable. Oranguru serves for emergency draw support.

Trainers:

Kiawe is the most important trainer card in this deck. It is the main energy acceleration method for the Charizards. 4 Ultra Balls, 4 Kiawes, and 2 Leles gives me 10 different chances to get Kiawe on Turn 1. If I do, I use Kiawe, then attach the Spirit Link and go Mega on Turn 2.

Nest Balls are useful when trying to get non-Lele basics out. Ditto for the Evosodas and my megas, which give me 2 additional chances to get my Charizard to go mega. Skyla gives me an extra 2 chances of getting Spirit Links if I don't already have them. I use 2 Altars of the Sunne in case I run into water decks (I hate water). Finally, I pack a bunch of staple trainer cards (Sycamore, N, Guzma, Blower) in order to keep my deck running.

Energy:

12 Fire energy is usually sufficient for fire decks. In addition, I am running two DCEs for powering up extra Charizards and for Lele.

This seems to be a pretty solid deck, which has worked pretty well for me so far in playtesting. I can't wait to use it at next month's LC where I live. If I could get suggestions for tweaks, I would greatly appreciate it.

Zamuron

Aspiring Trainer
Maybe replace a nest ball for another charizard ex. Maybe also replace volcanion for a ho-oh gx.
Otherwise it seems solid. Maybe a little bit too many one of pokemon.

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
I would focus the entire deck on Mega Charizard EX(GEN) to begin with. Mega Charizard EX comboed with Victini can dish out heavy damage if you're kind of lucky. On average you will be hitting for 200, and you can flip again if that doesn't go your way. Here would be my deck list, and I came up with it super fast so there may be some flaws.

Pokemon: 12

4 Charizard EX
4 Mega Charizard EX
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Victini

Trainers: 34

Items
4 Charizard Spirit Link
4 Ultra Ball
3 Field Blower
2 Evosoda
2 Nest Ball
3 Wishful Baton

Supporters
4 Kiawe
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Guzma
2 Skyla

Energy: 14

14 Fire Energy

Unfortunately while I think focusing on GEN Mega Charizard is better you will not always be consistent. I still think you could have success with the deck. I hope this helps.

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
I would focus the entire deck on Mega Charizard EX(GEN) to begin with. Mega Charizard EX comboed with Victini can dish out heavy damage if you're kind of lucky. On average you will be hitting for 200, and you can flip again if that doesn't go your way. Here would be my deck list, and I came up with it super fast so there may be some flaws.

Pokemon: 12

4 Charizard EX
4 Mega Charizard EX
2 Tapu Lele GX
2 Victini

Trainers: 34

Items
4 Charizard Spirit Link
4 Ultra Ball
3 Field Blower
2 Evosoda
2 Nest Ball
3 Wishful Baton

Supporters
4 Kiawe
4 Professor Sycamore
4 N
2 Guzma
2 Skyla

Energy: 14

14 Fire Energy

Unfortunately while I think focusing on GEN Mega Charizard is better you will not always be consistent. I still think you could have success with the deck. I hope this helps.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm sort of limited to 2 GEN Mega Charizards right now (can't run what I don't have), but I hope to get more.

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
Is there a reason you don't run any blacksmiths in either deck (Andy Sheppard or Adi)?

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
If he got rotated out (XY set), wouldn't have the Charizard Ex (XY set) that is being used be rotated into expanded as well? Or am I missing something with the rotations?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
If he got rotated out (XY set), wouldn't have the Charizard Ex (XY set) that is being used be rotated into expanded as well? Or am I missing something with the rotations?
Blacksmith was first released in Flashfire, an Expanded-only set. The Mega Charizard EX in the OP was released in Generations, which is still legal in standard even after rotation hits.

This year's rotation is Breakthrough onward.

Defiance

Aspiring Trainer
Ah, makes sense then. Still getting used to what exactly is rotated and what isn't. Just started playing recently.

Adi

Aspiring Trainer
Yea it took me a while to get used to the new rotation. I haven't made proxys for the list I posted, so I'm not sure how consistent it is. You will have to play a lot of games, and see how many times you can hit for Mega Charizard EX turn 2. One of my only suggestioins to make it more consistent is to add more Tapu Lele's possibly. I hope this helps.

JM Wolf

Aspiring Trainer
I was actually thinking of a Mega Charizard build when I saw Kiawe and your deck is actually close to what I wanted to come up with. Personally, I would take out the Volcanion EX for another Turtonator because if your Mega Charizard is knocked out and you have another one the field but lacking energy, Turtonator's GX attack will definitely help. Also, I would add Pokemon Fan Club so you can add Charizard EX and another Pokemon into your hand so you can add them to the bench. It's a good way to fill the field turn one since Brigette wouldn't work as well with you running EX's

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
I was actually thinking of a Mega Charizard build when I saw Kiawe and your deck is actually close to what I wanted to come up with. Personally, I would take out the Volcanion EX for another Turtonator because if your Mega Charizard is knocked out and you have another one the field but lacking energy, Turtonator's GX attack will definitely help. Also, I would add Pokemon Fan Club so you can add Charizard EX and another Pokemon into your hand so you can add them to the bench. It's a good way to fill the field turn one since Brigette wouldn't work as well with you running EX's
Pokemon Fan Club isn't a good idea for turn 1 because that's when I'm supposed to use Kiawe.

EarthwormZim

Aspiring Trainer
Instead of Pokémon Fan Club, Hoopa EX can help you grab Charizard EX or even some M Charizard EX with its Scoundrel Ring ability. Even though Ancient Origins rotated, the tin Hoopa EX promo is still legal :). Obviously Kiawe turn one is best, but if you already have one in your opening hand and have an Ultra Ball, you can get Hoopa EX to set up your board state instead of using it to grab Tapu Lele GX.

arulz

THE SEEKER
I like this idea a lot!

I would start with a couple changes and go from there:

-2 kiawe (you're only going to need him turn 1)
-2 DCE (no need, reduces damage potential)
-1 nest ball
-1 skyla

+1 tapu lele GX (to find kiawe turn 1)
+1 victini (in case 1 is prized)
+2 N (consistsnt draw)
+1 Charizard EX (so you don't have to waste ultra ball on him
+1 spirit link (hard to search out)

And I would run at least 3 of your main M Charizard

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
I like this idea a lot!

I would start with a couple changes and go from there:

-2 kiawe (you're only going to need him turn 1)
-2 DCE (no need, reduces damage potential)
-1 nest ball
-1 skyla

+1 tapu lele GX (to find kiawe turn 1)
+1 victini (in case 1 is prized)
+2 N (consistsnt draw)
+1 Charizard EX (so you don't have to waste ultra ball on him
+1 spirit link (hard to search out)

And I would run at least 3 of your main M Charizard
I want to run 3 GEN mega charizards, but I only have 2. The Evolutions one is also an emergency nuke. Same goes for Lele - I can't run what I don't have.

Andy Sheppard

Fire Pokemon Afficiando
Advanced Member
Update: This deck has been pretty working well for me; I've taken 2nd in a couple of league challenges and 3rd in a Cup with it. I don't play much TCG because I focus on VGC, but when I do play in a TCG tournament, it usually kicks ass.