Discussion Marshadow Gyarados? (DECK INPUT)

kyel

Aspiring Trainer
Alright guys. This is my first post ever on PokeBeach and I've had a deck idea that I came up with while at league.

Hear me out, you got the Marshadow, right? You throw in 3-4 of those in the deck as your main attacker.

Of course, since you're playing DCE, always keep Tapu Koko promos.

The idea revolves aroudn the cool Gyarados from Burning Shadows, the one which reads "This attack does 50 damage for each Magikarp in your discard pile" for a DCE. You use Ultra Ball and Acro Bike and cards that discard to speed the deck up and thin super quickly, and throwing your Gyarados' and Magikarp away so you can eventually hit your opponent for 200 damage with a single DCE.

Throw a choice band and you're hitting 230... GARDEVOIR HAS 230 HP.

You could also throw in some variant attackers possibly? Maybe Passimian, but you'd only be hitting for 90 damage with only ever having three benched.

Or even something that requires a specific energy and a DCE, such as Golisopod, but that might be super clunky and slow.

This is just a rough deck skeleton, and I'm looking for input of others! I'm 100% making this deck to play at tournaments, because it's the first decent deck I've ever come up with... And I'm proud of that...

I am sorry to pop your bubble but Marshadow can only use Basic Pokemon's attack.
It it were "any pokemon in your discard pile" , Marshadow would be broken.

I am sorry to pop your bubble but Marshadow can only use Basic Pokemon's attack.
It it were "any pokemon in your discard pile" , Marshadow would be broken.
I have never been this hurt before :(

Never fear! Mew-EX is still in standard, and you can use that instead and, although you'll only hit for 150 every time, this deck will become pretty consistent. However, I believe this will be far better in Expanded - there, you have access to Battle Compressor. Play 2 compressors and discard 4 magikarps and a gyarados, then Archie's for Gyara and consistently smash for 200.

Never fear! Mew-EX is still in standard, and you can use that instead and, although you'll only hit for 150 every time, this deck will become pretty consistent. However, I believe this will be far better in Expanded - there, you have access to Battle Compressor. Play 2 compressors and discard 4 magikarps and a gyarados, then Archie's for Gyara and consistently smash for 200.

I'm sorry but that's not going to work. The whole point of Gyarados is to trade 1-2. Enter Mew-EX into the equation and you've just ruined that dynamic with a really frail 2 prize attacker.

I loved the idea of Gyarados BUS but I can't really see any way for it to work at this moment. Sophocles is a nice start... but being able to string attackers is going to be nearly impossible.

I'm sorry but that's not going to work. The whole point of Gyarados is to trade 1-2. Enter Mew-EX into the equation and you've just ruined that dynamic with a really frail 2 prize attacker.

I loved the idea of Gyarados BUS but I can't really see any way for it to work at this moment. Sophocles is a nice start... but being able to string attackers is going to be nearly impossible.
I think it's definitely going to be viable in expanded. Mew from FAC is still a great replacement in my eyes. I'll be building it on PTCGO as soon as the set's released, I'll report my findings in another post :)

I think it's definitely going to be viable in expanded. Mew from FAC is still a great replacement in my eyes. I'll be building it on PTCGO as soon as the set's released, I'll report my findings in another post :)

Yet another card that only works with basic pokemon... Mew-EX in Expanded is just going to be a liability.

Yet another card that only works with basic pokemon... Mew-EX in Expanded is just going to be a liability.
I mean, it's probably going to be just fine. People have been playing with Shaymin for years now, and more for much longer than that. Manaphy has also been viable. I don't see how it's any different than that :) you're already using two prize attackers if you were to use Marshadow. I'm just theorizing huge damage with super low energy costs.

I mean, it's probably going to be just fine. People have been playing with Shaymin for years now, and more for much longer than that. Manaphy has also been viable. I don't see how it's any different than that :) you're already using two prize attackers if you were to use Marshadow. I'm just theorizing huge damage with super low energy costs.
Unlike Mew EX, Manaphy and Shaymin do their work from the bench and aren't the active eating attacks

... It's way different. Shaymin and Manaphy are both bench warmers. Mew EX is supposed to be in the pilot seat. Marshadow GX is different because the fighting type makes him a very relevant tech card against some very popular card right now. Even then he shouldn't be your main attacker, but your tech attacker. Someone to deal with Drampa GX.

Setting all that aside... both Shaymin and Manaphy are falling out favor because of the current power creep. It's simply way too easy to OHKO them.

... It's way different. Shaymin and Manaphy are both bench warmers. Mew EX is supposed to be in the pilot seat. Marshadow GX is different because the fighting type makes him a very relevant tech card against some very popular card right now. Even then he shouldn't be your main attacker, but your tech attacker. Someone to deal with Drampa GX.

Setting all that aside... both Shaymin and Manaphy are falling out favor because of the current power creep. It's simply way too easy to OHKO them.
I mean, Mew's still been quite relevant somewhat in expanded (at least from my findings online), I think it still has potential however! I'm still excited to try it.

I tend to stay away from standard entirely, I find the meta too meta-ey and it's just not fun anymore. Expanded and legacy are super fun because a lot of the games you play there are unpredictable, which I feel like this might become. I'll let ya guys know how a Archie's Gyarados deck works out lol.

Back