Manectric-EX / Crobat Variants

littywitty

Chris Collins
This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Manectric EX/Crobat variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Manectric EX/Crobat Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Manectric-EX (PHF 23)
  • 3 Crobat (PHF 33)
  • 4 Golbat (PHF 32)
  • 4 Zubat (PHF 31)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 1 Judge
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
Energy: 9
  • 3 Flash Energy
  • 6 Lightning Energy
Open Spots: 4

• Stadiums widely vary from list to list, so make sure to make room for some in your own list.

This thread is used for all competitive discussion on Manectric EX/Crobat variants in the Standard format. This includes strategies, playstyles, and techs.

You may post decklists here, but only as a means to add to the discussion. If you're looking for advice on your list, post in the Deck Garage.

Manectric EX/Crobat Skeleton List:

Pokémon: 16
  • 3 Manectric-EX (PHF 23)
  • 3 Crobat (PHF 33)
  • 4 Golbat (PHF 32)
  • 4 Zubat (PHF 31)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 77)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 AZ
  • 1 Lysandre
  • 1 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 1 Judge
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 4 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Super Scoop Up
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 2 Head Ringer
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 1 Super Rod
Energy: 9
  • 3 Flash Energy
  • 6 Lightning Energy
Open Spots: 4

• Stadiums widely vary from list to list, so make sure to make room for some in your own list.

Based on my testing, taking out one Sycamore and adding one Miltank will be very beneficial. Miltank can deal 100 damage with just one energy and a muscle band. This is a great way to eliminate obvious threats like Regice and only costs one prize upon getting knocked out.

In my list, I run two Lysandre so it is easier to knock out Shaymins

Same here. Including a Target Whistle is also something to consider. You can always utilize it to get a Shaymin-EX on the Bench and simply Lysandre for the KO. Another easy Prize is using it to put a Joltik onto your opponent's Bench and then use your Crobat for the KO.

Why is this tier 2? It's good against everything in the meta, has a wide range of variants and wins consistently at Events, this is easily Tier 1 for me.

Why is this tier 2? It's good against everything in the meta, has a wide range of variants and wins consistently at Events, this is easily Tier 1 for me.
I disagree strongly. The current tier listings are based on actual tournament results, especially from city championship tournaments collected this season. If any deck is in consideration for a tier 1 jump, it is Entei/Charizard-EX. It performed better than Manectric-EX/Crobat this year.

Manectric-EX depends too heavily on your opponent playing tools for its heaviest damage, which head ringer does not reliably supply against non-EX opponents. This can be manipulated to severely limit your damage output. It also takes two energies to assault laser which can leave you with a turn of vulnerability against strong and swift to setup foes like Entei/Charizard-EX, Zoroark & Gallade, and night march which can be powered up in a single turn to OHKO for a favorable prize trade. Mega Mewtwo EX Y is a popularly used deck which also gives this deck lots of trouble.

I disagree strongly. The current tier listings are based on actual tournament results, especially from city championship tournaments collected this season. If any deck is in consideration for a tier 1 jump, it is Entei/Charizard-EX. It performed better than Manectric-EX/Crobat this year.

Manectric-EX depends too heavily on your opponent playing tools for its heaviest damage, which head ringer does not reliably supply against non-EX opponents. This can be manipulated to severely limit your damage output. It also takes two energies to assault laser which can leave you with a turn of vulnerability against strong and swift to setup foes like Entei/Charizard-EX, Zoroark & Gallade, and night march which can be powered up in a single turn to OHKO for a favorable prize trade. Mega Mewtwo EX Y is a popularly used deck which also gives this deck lots of trouble.
Manectric/Bats is good against nightmarch because of bats, I can agree enteizard gives this deck trouble and mega mewtwo y is a good muchup.

Most non-ex decks play tool cards anyway, and even if you can't attach head ringer, their hp is lower so you should have no problem knocking them out.

Any ideas for teching in Jolteon Ex? I was thinking about dropping one into my sons deck. Could work.

He is also running the toad variant.

Valid point. He doesn't run MMan so I will keep looking. Thanks for the advice.

He really likes having a Toad Tech.

Batman hasn't done anything at States so far, so it's definitely not high tier. That said, is tier 4 actually a thing lol? I'd give it Tier 3 because it was huge at the ECC despite not doing anything at States. In the current format it loses to Toad/Tina and isn't that great against anything besides Night March really.

Back