Writing Malice (PG-13) [Update - Ch. 4]

Unique Username

AUTHOR'S NOTE - I cannot return to this story until particulars are resolved. I politely ask everyone not to create any reviews, critiques or comments until further notice.
___________________________________________________________________​

INDEX

WARNING:

Contains...

• Violence;
  • Animal cruelty;
  • Disturbing imagery;
  • Death.

< … > - Animorph Pokémon speech.

( - ) A hyphen indicates a skip in time.

I recently read bold was frowned upon. I decided to play it safe and edit out any bold text in the story. I changed it accordingly (i.e. italicized and/or capitalized).

My word count according to this word count tool – 1,972

I used the recommended word count tool, but...my total came to 317. It might be because of the “<” and “>” symbols, or my formatting tags – or I broke the java script.

I'm definitely not the writer I used to be... (sighs). I'm a pretty unmotivated writer nowadays – it's been months. I have a weird style – some people like it, some people hate it. I agree with those who dislike it (laughs).

___________________________________________________________________________​

Chapter 1: Master​

¤​

A lifeless paw precariously dangled between the iron jaws of a cage, a slender vulpine body ensnared in stygian shadow. Its beautiful snowy tresses lay unkempt upon its crown, slightly withered by the twilight voyage. Wintry fingers of death curled around the vulpine throat, its ethereal rot encouraging the impoverished condition. The sinister hex was suddenly broken, shattered by the drum of a heartbeat. Death bitterly skulked away, its unfathomable presence dissolving like tendrils of gossamer smoke. A ribbon of wind benevolently kissed the eyes of the beautiful animal, coaxing it to awaken. The creature gently roused, a sliver of scarlet emerging beneath its magnolia brow. It blinked heavily and incessantly, clearing its vision until it became as crisp as the autumn chill. The Pokémon involuntarily shivered, sharp pain sprinting up its spine like a lightning bolt. It clumsily ascended upon its front legs, the heightened stance only bringing greater despair as an obsidian curtain shrouded its captive environment. Its crimson eyes squinted against the black fabric, threads of air permeating through the microscopic weave.

<What is this?> The fox whimpered quietly, her lamenting whine mimicking a ghostly soprano. A myriad of sounds piqued her interest, her pointed ears swivelling like biological radars. The thunderous crunch of rocks erupted beneath the chassis of the cavernous heathen, the crackling sound mimicking impassive fireworks. It was evident now that she was aboard a transportation vehicle.

<An automobile? Intriguing...> The creature viciously sank her fangs into the textile shielding her cage, yanking it downward to rid of the canvas that enveloped her prison. The fabric crumpled into a lifeless coil, revealing the cargo area. Six cages were secured against the trailer walls, the denizens slumbering soundly in their alcoves. The Pokémon inclined her snout, gingerly sniffing the air. It was unpleasantly stale, mirroring a dungeon or other subterranean environment. She recognized several species of her brethren sleeping in the cages – but none like her.

<I'm the only Ninetales...> she sighed dejectedly, a pang of loneliness piercing her soul. The Ninetales suddenly caught the delicate sounds of human speech beyond the barrier of metal adjoined to her cage. Intrigued, the creature perched perfectly still amidst the murmurs. Ninetales scowled, unable to hear it clearly. Amaranth irises seethingly glared at the rivets biting into the steel, the silver spheres revealing nothing – not even a whisper. The fervid fox dauntlessly cupped her ear upon the metal partition, listening intently. It only required a few minutes to ignore idle chitchat, muffled albeit audible voices endorsing her espionage.

“Where did you find her, again?” A young male voice enquired, trepidation woven in his words.

“Kanto.” A grizzled voice replied – whether by age or by strife, it was indeterminable.

“In the wild?! You caught a wild Ninetales?”

“I wouldn't call it wild, exactly...”

An unnerving silence cascaded over the conversation, the humans contemplatively digesting what had been said.

“You STOLE it?!” The younger human exclaimed, sounding completely aghast. “Where is her owner?”

<Kiyomizu!> Ninetales passionately exclaimed, pressing her ear harder against the steel. The frigid surface was crawling with frost, the icy spikes biting into her skin like broken glass. Ninetales did not care; she vowed to endure any anguish regardless of its intensity, because she loved Kiyomizu. 'Oh, Kiyomizu. My old friend...Please be okay...' Ninetales inwardly prayed, her heart thrumming in her chest. The vehicle abruptly struck a divot, the imbalance violently churning the cargo. Ninetales yelped, bewildered by the sudden jolt. This unfortunate disturbance cost Ninetales valuable information, which caused her jowls to sag. The Pokémon swiftly became infuriated, yielding her ire by smashing her skull into the iron bars. Ninetales groaned, learning her lesson quickly and with humility. The reckless fox nursed her newly acquired bruise, leaning back on her haunches.

<I've been kidnapped!> She growled angrily, nervously glimpsing beyond the tailgate of the vehicle. A loose tarp cover flapped in the breeze, the olivine cloth shielding the entire structure. <In a military-style vehicle, no less.> The Ninetales belligerently swirled her mass of ivory tails, the slightly frowzy bulk striking the cage with a muted bang. It resonated loudly, piercing the wintry silence like a thunderclap. An awkward squeak trumpeted below, the tires digging into the shale with a deafening screech. Ninetales was viciously thrown aside, colliding against her metal chamber with a smack. She mewled in pain, her tender ribs pulsating in rapid succession. A slew of profanity spliced the wintry air, a venomous tone strewn in the voice. Ninetales tersely grit her teeth – it was the young boy.

A skinny silhouette lifted the cloth curtain, daylight mercilessly gleaning in the Ninetales' eyes. They glimmered like two resplendent rubies, their bloodied hue striking fear in the boy. His sapphire irises waned, diminishing the pupil to the size of a pin. Ninetales smirked triumphantly – this boy was intimidated by her. The Pokémon seized this opportunity to try and communicate; some humans could decipher the subtleties of her language.

<You, human!> Ninetales chirped pretentiously. <I order you to release me this instant!>

“You're awake?!” The adolescent shrieked, regaining his cheeky composure with a cough, “You're a tough mongrel, aren't you?”

<You insensitive - !> Ninetales swiftly caught her tongue, clenching her fangs tightly. The fox arrogantly raised the tip of her nose, her autocratic aura glowing like a sunbeam. <You should respect your elders! I am over sixty years of age, you know.>

“You used to be some old man's spoiled pet, huh? Don't worry...” A sickeningly malicious grin graced his lips, his expression drenched with foreboding shadows. “The boss will take care of you now...”

<Boss?> Ninetales gasped, contemplating how truly dire her situation could be. The crony indifferently whirled on his heel, gloomily draping his hood over his sable tresses and walking away. Ninetales spiritedly yelped, attempting to acquire the human's attention. <Young man! Do not walk away when I am speaking with you!> Ninetales slammed her paw upon the cage, her cries useless to this human. Ninetales tiredly laid upon her stomach, disdainfully crossing her front legs. <Hmpf. Humans...>

Ninetales impatiently flicked her right ear, the guttural roar of the engine as loud and obnoxious as a morning bugle. She glimpsed upward to the halcyon heavens, observing wisps of cloud lazily drift by. 'I feel lazy, too...' Ninetales' cognisance diminished until it transformed into a lucid dream, the azure sky painted with a sepia undertone. Ninetales reminisced inside her memoirs, her soliloquy evoking powerful, emotive imagery.

'I remember the fragrance of my favourite summer. It had the scent of grass and pollen; it was always throughout the village. I could smell the heat, too. It radiated off stones and pathways like livid spirits. The songbirds warbled intricate ballads during this season. They were so beautiful to listen to. Sometimes, I would pretend my winged friends were singing just for me – and Kiyomizu.

I would accompany that elderly man in every endeavour, including escapades to the grocery store. I remember how Kiyomizu loved to fish. Ah, relaxing visits to the river were my favourite. Kiyomizu always spoke gently to me. He would lovingly stroke my mane while rambling about a story he had already told me...thirty times. I found his senile prattle endearing, though. Kiyomizu was the epitome of kindness – his heart welcomed everyone and everything. I don't know where I would be without him...'

Ninetales yawned, succumbing to exhaustion as her words slowly dissipated into nothingness. She could no longer deny the inevitable, enjoying the drowsy sensation as she slipped into the timeless recesses of slumber.

-

The vehicle clandestinely turned left, ploughing its steel muzzle straight through a hedgerow of mulberry. This secret wilderness avenue was unbeknownst to the public, serving as the only entrance to the ultimate destination. Ninetales was frolicking in her imaginative daydream, her fantasy slain by the turbulent ride rumbling beneath her paws. The vehicle swerved in a wide crescent, awkwardly reversing into the hollow of a bevelled docking station. The old fox owlishly blinked, a veil of confusion shrouding her brain from the lively commotion.

“You look a bit weathered, old fox.” A voice unwisely taunted, his sardonic remark earning a drowsy glower. Ninetales frowned; the voice belonged to the driver – her presumed captor. A monstrous shadow pervaded the threshold of the cargo, the truck groaning under his captivating weight. Ninetales buried her sensitive snout into her tails, the pungent stench of cigars billowing off his tawny jacket like an acrid cologne. She meticulously observed this human, scrutinizing every detail with a burgundy eye. Midnight black locks careened over his towed brow, a few strands slicing his jaded eyes into several harlequin pieces. The human possessed a harrowing face, wrinkled scars traversing his skin like macabre stitches. Statuesque muscle bulged beneath his clothes, displaying his raw strength – and volatile temper.

“My name is Aldrich Silvashko. I am your new master.” The man callously greeted, nudging closer to the iron cage. Ninetales instinctively snarled, her hackles erect and sharply flaked. 'Go away! I don't like you...!' The human screamed of morbid malevolence, his listless gaze eerily resembling that of a cadaver.

“You metabolized the sedative early.” Aldrich murmured, his blemished cheekbones pink from stress. “You're pretty resilient. That's good. I have high expectations of you.”

<Expectations?> Ninetales yipped, her cry sounding perplexed as it did concerned. Aldrich vindictively chuckled, feigning compassion underneath an ugly layer of rancour.

“What's wrong? Don't you want to live with me?”

<No! I want to live with Kiyomizu!> Ninetales wailed, her haunting cry ricocheting within the confines of the chamber. Aldrich was irked by his prisoner's audacity, his skin rapidly draining of colour until it was nearly translucent. Aldrich irately furled his fingers around an iron dowel, choking it until the persimmon rust sprinkled off.

“You. You are mine. I have rules for things that are mine.” Aldrich aggressively wrenched his captive's snowy mane, yanking the creature toward his face. Ninetales snarled, a freakishly demonic hiss slithering between her bared fangs. An inauspicious glow swirled in the abyss of the fox's throat, fiery gold tendrils floating out of her maw. The infantile flame accentuated her carmine eyes, an apocalyptic flare swimming in her gaze. Aldrich laughed darkly, swiftly fishing out an aquiline blade and pressing it tersely under her vulnerable neck.

“Go ahead. I dare you.”

Ninetales froze, the nightmarish knife grazing her pulsating vein. She felt her artery tepidly kick against the cool steel, the edge zealously biting her skin. The sensation of congealing blood left her shivering, her vitals skewed by shock. Ninetales' fire subsided, the cobwebbed smoke gently kissing the human on his chapped lips. Aldrich crowed morbidly, inhaling the toxic plume like a sweet fragrance. The silver blade was removed, stashed tip first inside a leather holster.

“You're too soft.” Aldrich chided, aggressively manipulating the neck until he effectively crushed the fox against the cage. “I don't like soft.” Ninetales sacrificed a breath, her oppressed throat forcing out a meagre bark. The prickling sensation of unconsciousness plagued her vulpine brain, the edges of her vision gnawed by a foreign darkness. Ninetales vehemently began to thrash, her body writhing like a dying serpent. Aldrich relinquished his victim with an austere glance, his irises so stringent they barely held sympathy.

<You're a monster!> Ninetales sobbed, brackish teardrops staining her fur. Aldrich mercilessly ignored her cry, sliding her cage to the lip of the truck and unceremoniously shoving her off. Ninetales yelped, curling within her battered body to avoid fracturing her nimble legs. Aldrich heavily landed upon the earth, a blizzard of dead leaves waltzing around his muscular legs. Ninetales cowered against juxtaposed iron bars, observing an impertinent glimmer in his eye. Aldrich cackled menacingly, slapping the top of the cage twice.

“You are going to have so much fun here​...”

Chapter 2 - Adrenaline

RE: Malice (PG-13)

I just skimmed this fic, and all I have to say is: "... wow." You are clearly new around here, and your writing is definitely holds a peculiar style. I also find it interesting that someone actually referenced to Animorphs, which is - what - ancient by now in terms of popular young adult literature. Because I'd like to take time on fully reading and giving clearer comments on your fic, I'm just posting here to say that you officially have a reader and I'll will give this a through look before criticizing the fic.

Happy writing,
~Zyflair

Read the whole thing this is AMAZING.
I wonder what is juxtaposed?

Woa, the Ninetales abuse in here is very scary...I like the story, though. Lots of strong word usage and what a scary yet amazing way to end a chapter!

Disclaimer – This story is rated PG-13. Please read my warnings in the first post.

-​

My word count according to this word count tool – 2,411

Can you believe this chapter was intended to be longer? Insanity!

Chapter 2: Adrenaline​

¤​

The melancholy metronome of blunt claws clacked upon dirty linoleum tiles, every sombre footstep creating staccato clicks. Ninetales grudgingly meandered down an abysmal corridor, her head low to the earth out of subservience. Aldrich had his captive harnessed, the serpentine chain drawn taut to curtail any aggressive behaviour. Ninetales involuntarily mirrored his stoic gait, the two walking in militaristic tandem. The pungent stench of mildew discharged beyond fissures in the pipes, every chasm leaking a foul, repugnant odour. Ninetales grimaced, scrunching her snout and flaring her nostrils while expelling a snort. Aldrich curtly yanked on the chain, his steely gaze fixated upon her disobedient glare. Neither individual backed away, both passionately exhibiting their pride like territorial beasts. Aldrich chewed the tip of his cigar, launching the first onslaught. He forcibly exhaled, a plume of cigar smoke floating over his enemy's face. Ninetales blinked nonchalantly, the fragrance of tobacco hardly fazing her. She returned the gesture, tactlessly spitting out a sooty ring. Aldrich chuckled, brusquely tugging the leash which drudged forth a rumbling growl.

“You have zero fear...” Aldrich murmured, ulterior motives swirling like ghosts in his cool stare. “Perfect.”

Ninetales growled softly, her ears pinned tightly against her skull. 'I vow to escape this place – whatever the cost!' Ninetales voicelessly roared, her spirit invoked by renewed vigour. The fox reluctantly tread in the shadow of her abusive cohort, absorbing the detrimental attributes of her new home. Urine and decay emanated off every square inch of sordid brick, the purpose of this mysterious facility shrouded in a veil of enigma. Aldrich suddenly paused, standing in front of a massive cell. An undecipherable insignia was painted on a sign, the acronym reading T.T.D. - a very puzzling secret indeed. Ninetales whined, the scent of blight wafting through the bars like a crypt. Aldrich coaxed the obstinate creature by nudging her flank with his kneecap, the fox grudgingly crossing the threshold. Aldrich sanctioned his new arrival in a corner, threading the chain through a mounted mechanism and locking it. He briskly walked out, slamming the barricaded door shut.

Ninetales nervously licked her chops, five pairs of luminescent eyes watching her closely. Bloodshot sclerae reflected jaded anguish – an apathetic expression the fox feared she'd adopt next. While her eyes adjusted to the dreary lighting, she caught a glimpse of a speared tail tersely whipping the cement wall. Two bony protrusions curled out of its skull, the horns sharply twisting at the end. Its copper-coloured muzzle hungrily ransacked its rusted bowl, tidbits of carrion sticking to the edges like a rancid pulp. Ninetales shivered, shying away. Houndoom was a formidable enemy – provoking it here would be disastrous. She ventured a risk, submissively crawling on her belly. Houndoom ignored the encroaching fox, continuing to rake his tongue over the bottom of his dish. Ninetales attempted to establish a conversation, yet she only received an inattentive grunt. Ninetales sighed despondently, leaving the dog to his putrid meat. She sluggishly returned to her corner, a bowl perched between her skinny legs. Ninetales leaned over, inhaling its tantalizing aroma. It was a very tempting, possibly nutritious morsel. Regardless, the vulpine was overtly cautious and refused to taste it.

<You can eat it.> A boastful voice chirped, its pitch warbling feebly. A scaly leg emerged beyond the murky shadow, its talons easily scraping the stone floor. It was an elderly Kenhorou, his chipped beak sporting several discoloured veins and a distinguishing cleft. Its prized feathers were heavily damaged by age, the vibrant colours washed out. The Kenhorou had a foreign apparatus fastened to his leg spurs, sharp metal spikes protruding like thorns. Ninetales politely bowed her head – a sign of versed etiquette. It never hurt to display your manners, especially to a pompous fowl like Kenhorou.

<Pardon me, sir. What is this pl - ?>

<Shh!> Kenhorou hissed, his whistling cry lingering in the rafters. The pheasant visibly ruffled his feathers, every layer sculpted into agitated wafers. Ninetales intuitively succumbed to silence, her breath locked in her throat. A scuttling noise drummed on the concrete earth, the massive silhouette of a crustacean clambering into view. Its gargantuan claws were deftly wrapped in latex binding, rendering the colossal crab useless. Aldrich closely pursued, a cylindrical object clutched in his hands. 'A gun!' Ninetales quietly surmised, her heart pounding rapidly in shock. The Kingler timidly gurgled, blindly sidestepping into a wall – it knew what was to happen now.

YOU OCEANIC INSECT!!” Aldrich roared, relentlessly slamming his boot into the crab's mandibles, “Do you realize how many times you've lost?!

<I won't lose again, p-promise!> Kingler pleaded, shielding its throbbing jaw with its large pincer. Aldrich heartlessly lifted the rifle, nestling the sight against its pronged crown. Kingler murmured a tiny prayer, squeezing its eyes shut and waiting for the inevitable. Aldrich tenaciously curled his finger around the trigger, the metal talon slowly caving in. Fluorescent light gleaned along the edge of the barrel, the Pokémon bracing themselves for yet another casualty.

“You've lost four times. You know the rule. Four strikes - ” Aldrich cocked the hammer, closing his left eye. “You're dead.” A reverberating bang sounded throughout the dungeon, the lingering thunder crawling up to the ceiling like a soaring echo. The Kingler limply crumpled in a mass of shell, its legs furled tightly against its underside. Aldrich nudged the massive animal with his smoking gun, glancing down at the dead crustacean.

“I can't waste perfectly good crab meat.” Aldrich grumbled, snatching one of the legs and hauling it away. The man groaned as he struggled to lift the giant carcass, unceremoniously heaving the corpse over the top of a pine crate. A freakishly long blade snaked out of a leather holster, its pleat flashing with a lethal glint. Aldrich voraciously stabbed the Kingler, piercing the dense shell with a deranged gratification. Ninetales winced as a damaged leg was ripped out of its socket, clear fluid dripping down the sinewy threads like briny tears. The appendage was thrown into a pile of arbitrary parts, the precious claws stockpiled separately. Aldrich sloppily dismembered the crab, ravaging the body until nothing was left. Ninetales released a wild snarl as the human entered the cell, a crab leg dangling in his fingers like a broken necklace. Aldrich savagely tossed it at her, the limb striking the cold concrete like a pound of lead. The decomposing meat emitted a very foul stench, a slimy chunk of ice churning in the fox's gut. Ninetales rejected the sacrificial offering, crouching low with her fangs bared. Aldrich laughed wickedly, pushing the sullied meat closer to her with his rifle.

“I thought you carnivores loved seafood.” Aldrich insulted snidely. Ninetales preemptively lunged, her jaws viciously snapping at thin air. The human ruthlessly smacked her skull with the butt of his gun, aggressively standing his ground. Ninetales quivered beneath his icy shadow, her claws spread wide as she struggled to regain her stance.

“I suggest you save that energy for the preliminary test...” Aldrich advised menacingly, “You're going to need it.” Ninetales angrily slammed her alabaster tails against the stone barricade, watching her abusive master exit the chamber. 'What did I do to deserve this...?' Ninetales' rhetorical thought went unanswered, her gaze fixated on the crab leg. She swatted it away like it were a disease, the beige limb somersaulting toward her cellmate. Houndoom greedily snatched this opportune delicacy, tearing into it like a gluttonous demon. Ninetales bit down her rising bile, the stinging sensation leaving a queasy malaise in its wake. The vulpine glimpsed to her feathered friend, who had ignored the ordeal by tending to his precious primaries. Ninetales snorted smugly, momentarily amused by his behaviour. She gently approached the bird, speaking as astutely as possible.

<What is the preliminary test?> Ninetales enquired. The old pheasant blinked hazily, preening his decorative feathers. His blemished beak traced the edges of his waddles, the features twisting down his neck like scarlet ribbons. Kenhorou shrugged his wing, laboriously cleaning the downy fluff sheltered inside.

<You will see.> Kenhorou quipped.

Ninetales became aggravated, scraping the hay sprinkled over the stone with her dull claws. The fox was purposely denied crucial information, which not only bothered her – it disturbed her. Unbeknownst to the vexed vulpine, the philanthropic pheasant withheld the answer to protect her delicate ambiguity for just a little longer. A rueful glimmer in his eye nearly compromised his façade, but the bird cleverly burrowed his guise under his wing. Ninetales tersely swished her tails, glimpsing to a hypnotic flame sparkling amidst the shadows. The creature weakly neighed, pawing the stone and shaking its muscular neck. It languidly twisted its long face, the horse slightly intrigued by his admirer. The Rapidash whinnied softly, declaring he was too exhausted to contribute to a proper conversation. Ninetales honoured his wish, playing as a spectator instead. A multitude of misshapen scars littered his neck, the square-shaped marks stamped along his fiery mane. Ninetales was absolutely shocked by the visible blemishes, tender bruises staining his hindquarters like purple thunderclouds. The fox shrewdly noticed a peculiar bruise imprinted on the horse's withers, its crescent shape loosely resembling a waning moon. Ninetales gasped, the clues reaching an odious conclusion. No human could have made a bruise like that, only one thing could – a hoof.

Ninetales yelped as something heavy tackled into her, the weight painfully squashing her spine. A cold leather apparatus clasped around her skull, calloused fingertips grazing her nape. Ninetales fruitlessly snarled, weaved metal caging her jaws. The fox cursed her own stupidity; the only reason the human caught her was because she had been engrossed in her theories. This human was definitely stronger than Aldrich, his godly strength bred to handle leviathans. The minion mercilessly drug the fox out of the cell, the tether coiled around his bulging bicep. Ninetales desperately scratched the stone floor, delaying her excursion to examine the perplexing T.T.D. sign she saw earlier.

<Kenhorou!> Ninetales howled frantically, struggling against her harness. <What does 'T.T.D.' stand for?> The pheasant dolefully gazed into her frightened eyes, his sombre whisper causing time – and her heart, to freeze.

<To the death.>

Ninetales' system completely shutdown. A figurative sledgehammer smashed into her fragile soul, her spirit crumbling into powdered glass. Ninetales lived exceedingly long lives, sometimes up to one thousand years – death was nearly a foreign concept to her. Cherished memories slipped away like raindrops, vibrant retrospection melting into a lifeless grey portrait. A disheartening sensation wormed inside her chest, eradicating any optimism. Ninetales mindlessly lowered her gaze, counting her footsteps as an asinine distraction. The human escorted the phlegmatic fox down a narrow lane, her legs struggling to walk on the meshed bridge. Viscous blood was smeared upon the surface, her claws puncturing the dry crust. Ninetales shuddered, lifting her snowy tails to avoid staining her fur with the vile substance. The man slammed his palm upon a circular button bolted inside an electrical box, the mechanical device groaning in protest as it hoisted a complexity of pulleys and chains. A metal sleeve slowly ascended into the wall, revealing the luminescent fragment of a circular field. It was a quintessential wasteland, clay and sand completely blanketing the terrain. Ninetales cautiously pawed the earth, the dirt sprinkled with tufts of fur, flaked scales and tattered feathers. If her suspicions proved true, she was in for a very dangerous – possibly deadly, fight.

Ninetales yipped in surprise when her harness was unclasped, the interlaced restraint plummeting to the tainted sand. An irritating cloud of grit plagued her eyes and nose, grains of dust latching onto her sclera. The human brutishly smacked his foot on the fox's rump, shoving her into the arena. Ninetales shrieked, tumbling beneath a curtain of fluorescent lights. An uproarious noise crashed upon her like a tsunami, an avalanche of voices shouting at her. Startled, the fox scrambled into a watchful stance and glanced toward the pandemonium. It was pure bedlam, the location resembling an amateurish replica of a coliseum. Humans were perched high above the pit, greedily clutching paper tickets and money. They condescendingly smiled at her, wringing their paper slips with a wanton indulgence only humans possessed. A mechanical whirr echoed in the opposite direction of the enclosure, the door rising to welcome the new challenger.

A black paw emerged, a single golden orb piercing the darkness with a malevolent glow. Ninetales shivered, the ghoulish glare mimicking a tempestuous dragon lurking in its cavern. It was a Mightyena, its right eye completely sheathed in pearly pink scar tissue. A shaggy mantle of black fur sprinted down its back, its tail wagging so aggressively it struck itself in the haunches. Mightyena curled his lip, his fangs chattering lividly. Ninetales was quivering fiercely, her neutral response enough to trigger his dormant rage. The canine started howling viciously, his unbridled energy straining against the leash. Diabolical laughter bellowed amidst the audience, its sinful tone belonging to the wickedest human in the crowd. Aldrich was vainly perched in his throne, the tyrant idly thrumming his fingers on the armrest. A strange man occupied the seat next to him, cloaked in a dreary myrtle jacket and a black fedora. The vulpine narrowed her eyes, her calculating glare pinned on this foreigner. A snippet of his scent sprightly danced beneath her nose, the rejuvenating fragrance of herbs striking a vague memory. 'This scent...' Ninetales nearly tasted the answer on the tip of her tongue, but it was whisked away by a frenzied bark. The Mightyena feverishly lurched side to side, the shackled leash drawn taut.

“Calm down, mongrel!” The handler exclaimed, reining the beast in slightly. Aldrich delivered a curt dip of his chin, his left hand splicing the air with a peculiar gesture; he had bestowed the signal to begin. The Mightyena was subsequently relinquished to insanity, his bloodthirsty stare beyond logic and rationale. The chamber door plummeted to the ground with a thunderous clang, sealing the enclosure until the skirmish achieved a bloody dénouement. Ninetales instantaneously solved the clandestine purpose of this place, her focus lost within the horrifying truth. This wasn't a fight – this was bloodsport.

“If you don't act quickly...” Aldrich whispered, his quivering lips suppressing a sinister laugh. “You'll be dead before you hit the ground.”

Chapter 3 - Possessed Watch out! It's right below you.

RE: Malice (PG-13) [Update - Ch. 2]

Disclaimer – This story is rated PG-13. Please read my warnings in the first post.

-​

Belated Gratitude: Thank you to everyone who has commented thus far! I greatly appreciate it! :3 I apologize for not saying so earlier (forgive me?)

Word Count = Lots (I've given up on this – I think it's safe to say it's 2,592 over 1,000 words XD) I just noticed every chapter is incremental...uh oh.

Too many distractions, not enough writing! >:C

Chapter 3: Possessed​

¤​

Artificial incandescence submerged the stadium in its jaundiced resplendence, the two combatants sheathed in the perilous limelight. Ninetales succumbed to the infectious vicissitude plaguing the coliseum, every particle corrupted by an asphyxiating craving for violence. A haunting cry lingered in the recesses of her brain, the ghostly whisper invigorating her primal instincts. Ninetales struggled against the demonic influence residing in the depths of her soul, the wicked entity urging her to taste the coppery saltiness of blood. The fox contemplatively glanced to the earth, immoral demands swirling inside her dying conscience – lacerate soft flesh, silence the heartbeat, drink the spoils. 'NO! SHUT UP!' Ninetales voicelessly screamed, realizing these heinous suggestions only beget death. The fox viciously bashed her skull against the concrete barricade, vanquishing the wicked temptation in a single hit. Instantly, she regained her judgement and conquered her primal edge, the malignant spirit banished to oblivion. The coliseum erupted into cruel outbursts of laughter, the tremolo dissipating into hushed murmurs as the audience observed the estranged fox.

“Did you see that?!” A stout stranger exclaimed, his pudgy finger gesturing to the loamy pit. “That fox just smashed its head into the wall!”

“It's a stupid animal.” A second human jeered, the uncouth lout flagrantly picking a mucus stalactite out of his nostril. “It's liable to be missing a few brain cells...”

Ninetales bitterly pursed her sensitive ears against her skull, the slew of churlish remarks skewering her confidence and vital concentration. She shakily inhaled a mouthful of stagnant air, her breath slithering down her throat like a sour acid. Gnarled knots of despair became sewn in the tapestry of her spirit, every detrimental whorl entangling her courage. 'I...can't...I can't fight!' The fox whimpered, her hindquarters nudging the stone panel as she stumbled back. Mightyena growled deeply, scratching the sand with restless claws. His solitary eye refracted a hidden rage shackled by a remnant of restraint, a bright crescent swimming in his sclera. It delivered a nonverbal message, warning the fox that if she did not attack first – he would. Ninetales visibly cringed, sacrificing the preemptive advantage by averting her gaze. Mightyena vehemently howled, his declaration of war ascending to the heavens in a soaring crescendo. Every human surrendered to the catalyst, instinctively answering the bloodthirsty cry with an uproarious cheer.

Mightyena dauntlessly charged his adversary, engaging his run with a glorified gallop. Ivory claws heavily scraped the sand, a whirlwind of grit encircling the stadium. Its powerful legs mercilessly ploughed through the slippery grain, a maelstrom of unbridled wrath pulsating in its veins. A thunderclap of fury erupted in his iris, the crimson sphincter contracting until the pupil was no thicker than a sliver. Ninetales observed her timorous image in his eye, hypnotized by her encroaching reflection. Mightyena swiftly unhinged his jaws, grimy fangs primed to puncture her throat. Ninetales suddenly snapped to attention, awkwardly jumping as intense duress ossified every muscle fibre into a rusty coil. She narrowly avoided the strike, discoloured fangs grazing the tips of her ivory coat. Mightyena clumsily slid upon the sand, heatedly glaring at his prey.

<You may be faster, but...> The canine fiercely reared its ugly head, slamming his paws on the sand. <I'm STRONGER!> Mightyena roared, his howl descending upon the stadium with blazing grandeur. The canine inhaled sharply, suppressing his fleshy tongue and steadying his quivering jaws. Vaporous particles intricately weaved into aeriform silk, ethereal threads fabricating an epicentre over its tongue. Ghostly energy condensed into a black sphere, veins of lightning visibly snaking over the obsidian marble. Ninetales cursed, recognizing the notorious sable sphere as an infantile shadow ball. Black mist slithered between his curved cuspids, the noxious fog twisting into braids before dissolving into nothingness. Ninetales cringed. 'I have no choice – this fight is unavoidable. If only I could discourage his attacks without inflicting physical damage...' The vixen cleverly devised a strategy, praying that her next manoeuvre proved effective.

Ninetales summoned an elusive confuse ray, her gaze glistening with a mystifying violet aura. An intangible ambiance glissaded through the scummy air, its captivating charm luring the canine into a hypnotic trance. Mightyena became fixated, his brain riddled by this bizarre stare. He grumbled incoherently, his paws aimlessly stumbling over each other in an ungraceful promenade. Mightyena unknowingly lost ownership of his shadowy orb, launching it directly at the earth. A violent explosion showered the stadium in granules of sand, a turbid cloud billowing beneath the wire ceiling. The blast forcibly slammed against the hyena, his body limply somersaulting like a rag doll. Shrill whistles rippled amidst the crowd, a repetitive mantra demanding greater intensity and bloodshed. Ninetales ignored the clamour, whirling around to glare at Aldrich.

<Why are you making us fight?> Ninetales demanded, her cry mingling seamlessly with the audience. Aldrich indifferently glimpsed to her, breathing a furtive whisper in the ear of his mysterious guest. The vulpine bristled in ire, scraping the enamel off her molars as she scissored her jaws. <ANSWER ME!> Ninetales roared, volcanic umbrage spewing blistering rage out of her throat. A blazing steam of fire scalded the meshed wire canopy, the iron slowly liquifying into a molten soup as it dribbled upon the sand. Ninetales crouched low on her haunches, summoning every ounce of strength in her legs. Ninetales smirked, swishing her ivory tails. 'That gap should be just big enough for me to - '

Curved fangs savagely delved into her neck, the powerful bite scrunching every muscle like bundled cloth. Ninetales was viciously flipped over, her shoulders smacking against the firm earth. The Mightyena delivered a piercing glare, his confusion no longer evident. Rivers of blood slithered within her labyrinth of fur, trickling down the curvature of her throat. Ninetales instinctively retaliated, unleashing an explosive inferno into his face. Mightyena let out a screeching howl, feverishly scratching his maimed brow to rid of the agonizing sting. The fox stealthily escaped the clutches of imminent danger, deviously glimpsing to the space in the wire ceiling. Curled edges of metal were singed black, onyx rust flaking off like ashen leaves. This bewitching rift beckoned her, the hollow patch revealing a passage under the bleachers. Ninetales hastily leapt skyward, her outstretched paw nearly touching freedom.

A harsh bite cinched two of her silken tails, a pair of powerful jaws yanking her down. Ninetales was plucked out of midair, her lithe body plummeting to the sand like a broken bird. Mightyena howled triumphantly, swiftly lunging to his grounded captive. Ninetales fiercely twisted her torso, scrambling up and fiercely smashing her skull against his. Mightyena impressively stood firm, his hindquarters trembling as they locked at the joint. Neither animal was willing to sacrifice this stalemate, reluctantly pressing their crowns together and awkwardly sliding upon the silt. Ninetales winced, feeling every squished vein and bony protuberance in her skull. Mightyena responsively huffed, bitterly staring into her eyes with a crimson glower. Seething hisses and embittered outbursts rumbled throughout the crowd, the spectators clearly displeased by the stagnant action.

“What's going on?”

“This is boring!

“Come on! Do something!” A patron mindlessly pitched a crumpled piece of paper toward the pit, the garbage easily caught in the diamond shape of the wire canopy.

“Oi! Don't throw trash in the pit, yea blunderin' idiot!” A lackey exclaimed, hurling a crushed aluminium can in his general direction. A massive surge of bigotry slurred amongst the patrons, the squabbling commotion overwhelming the stadium in a reverberating chatter. Aldrich furrowed his brow, disgruntled lines etched in his expression. Emerald irises heartlessly glared at his reticent guest, his robust stench epitomizing an apothecary. Aldrich scrunched his nose at the potent herbal fragrances, suppressing a cough.

“I thought you said she was a fighter.” Aldrich murmured, a thread of warning stitched in his words.

“You remembered correctly.” The elderly guest explained, sagely stroking his scraggly grey beard. “Ninetales was a fighter – when Kiyomizu was a trainer.”

“When was that?” Aldrich enquired, raising his eyebrow.

“Five years ago.” Aldrich snarled in absolute rage, scrunching the stranger's olivine cloak with thick fingers and wrenching it over his furled fist. Aldrich easily lifted the decrepit fossil with his obscene strength, bringing the featherweight fool to his eye level. The old man nonchalantly blinked at his assailant, harbouring an astounding degree of composure. He merely smiled, his muscles completely lax. Aldrich shook his victim with a violent jolt, bringing the stranger within mere centimetres of his nose.

“You had better get that cur to fight, or else our deal is off.” Aldrich whispered, his curled lip exposing a perverse sneer. Aldrich mercilessly clasped a broad palm around his companion's throat, squeezing the vulnerable tissue with chipped nails. His heavy footsteps marched on the concrete balcony, hauling the unfortunate soul to a subterranean crevice where a third door to the pit lay untouched. Without sparing a single shred of mercy, the behemoth hoisted his guest over the railing and unceremoniously let go. A bewildered cry ricocheted in the chasm as the old man performed an unsteady landing, his balance hindered by his ripe old years. Inertia propelled him straight into the concrete surface, his brittle bones rattled by the crash. He shakily glanced to the mezzanine, observing the nightmarish shadow that towered over his pathetic body. Aldrich hunched over, retrieving a lustrous leather suitcase and precariously dangling it over the ledge.

“Work your magic, old man.” Aldrich demanded, his disdainful tone accentuated by his cavalier attitude. The plastic handle slipped beyond his grasp, the suitcase plunging to the ground with a muffled bang. Aldrich snorted like a vexed bull, glaring at the old man as though he were an aggravating crimson cape. Absolved of the grizzled old coot, he skulked away to reclaim his chair.

“You want magic? I'll give you magic...” The old man grumbled under his breath, soft curses woven in his inaudible wrath. Brass clasps unlocked with a click, the scent of leather mingling with a myriad of aromatic herbs and ingredients. He secretively plucked two particular items beyond his treasure trove, ensuring neither touched. Ninetales tightly clenched her fangs as the screech of metal upon metal pierced her ears, the sound vibrating in her brain. Mightyena swiftly eschewed the fight, jauntily dashing to a narrow opening punctured in the door. A slightly putrid piece of poultry was thrown inside, the canine gnawing the slippery sinew as his tongue scraped every pearly knob of bone. Ninetales caught a glimpse of something being thrown to her, its texture unlike anything she had seen before.

It possessed a cube shape, violet spots littering every ivory surface. Cautiously cantering up to the foreign morsel, the fox meticulously sniffed every spongy crevice. A gelatinous substance was nestled inside, its tantalizing aroma causing the fox to salivate. Ninetales hungrily licked her chops, a hunger pang burning through her stomach. Without a second thought, the vulpine ate the morsel in a single bite, the globule sliding down her throat with a satisfying breadth. Ninetales shivered, her stomach gurgling. 'This taste...it's so familiar...' A slightly tart flavour exploded in her mouth, its soapy aftertaste tingling on her tongue. It was such a distinct taste – it irked her not to recall what, where, and when. Why couldn't she remember? Ninetales groggily blinked, her vision blurring as she struggled to retain her thoughts. Logic and perception disintegrated into oblivion, replaced by a surge of primitive wrath. Sticky saliva dribbled off of her dangling tongue, her wheezing breath laced by a snarl. In under thirty seconds, the fox had reverted back to a wild, snarling beast who only desired to survive.

Mightyena abruptly lunged at his incapacitated foe, his fangs sheathed in a golden glow. Electric veins hissed and spat with branched tongues, their popping tips lashing the air with sudden sparks. Mightyena viciously sank his teeth into his enemy, slamming her limber body to the sand. Ninetales screamed in anguish, electricity ravaging her veins until her muscles convulsed with involuntary tics. Adrenaline gushed straight through her body, burrowing into her heart and triggering a deranged and berserk rage. Ninetales thoughtlessly ripped herself away, sharp teeth lacerating her neck and leaving gaping lesions that cut into fat and fascicles. Unfathomable energy surged through her legs, thrusting her forward as she swiftly readied her gaping jaws. Ninetales lashed out with lightning quick reflexes, latching onto her enemy like a cobra. Mightyena yelped as his snout was seized by a punishing bite, the vulpine refusing to let go. Ninetales passionately growled, summoning incrementing pressure onto his bones with her jagged fangs. Mightyena yelped, a sharp twinge erupting under his skin as a ligament snapped. Irked by the whining snivel, Ninetales clamped down as hard as she could.

Craaaack!

The audience winced as a sickening crunch lingered in their teeth, nearly every human empathizing with the sound. Mightyena shrieked, his unnatural cry threaded throughout the limestone like delicate silk. Undoubtedly, it would forever haunt the hollowed halls for eternity – a foreboding wail for future generations. Ninetales felt no remorse, no hint of regret; her primal instinct overrode any benevolence left clinging to her heart. Mightyena whimpered and lowered his broken nose, submissively pleading for mercy. Had the vulpine retained her intelligence, she might have understood what sympathy was. Ninetales' scarlet eyes glowed like glittering garnets, their intensity as merciless as the summer sun. A white inferno swirled in her mouth, its orbit laced with amber and vermilion flame. It blossomed until her fangs could no longer cage the blaze, fragments of fire leaking between her teeth. Ninetales unleashed the devastating power of her fire blast, the scorching star striking the canine point blank. Mightyena tersely howled as his conscious ceased to function, knocked out by the scalding sea of flames.

Ninetales shivered, repetitively licking her chops as the craving for violence escalated into an addiction. 'Can't stop, can't stop, can't stop, can't stop...' Ninetales murmured to herself, her babbling tongue merely a reflection of her uncontrived thinking. She twitched, her vision fixated on her fallen opponent. Ninetales roared, lunging with outstretched claws and bared fangs. A notoriously heavy weight suddenly tackled into her side, a human wrestling to slip on a muzzle. Ninetales panicked, her desire to fight so abnormal she began to bite and scratch the handler. The man grimaced slightly, securing the restraints and shoving her head away. Ninetales feverishly clawed the sand as she was dragged away, her voracious appetite for aggression unsatisfied. An explosive rush of applause escorted her out, the crowd in absolute awe at the tenacity shown by such a slender animal. Aldrich gave his silent approval, glimpsing to the old man who had long since returned upstairs.

“What in the world did you give her?!” Aldrich exclaimed, impressed by the tremendous shift in performance.

“It's a special mixture.” The old man proudly boasted. “I used to make it for a special customer.”

“Speaking of,” Aldrich mentioned, a speculative glint in his eye, “how exactly did you know Kiyomizu?”

The elderly stranger vindictively smirked beneath the brim of his fedora, the swarthy alcove painting his crooked teeth a charcoal grey. Gnarled fingers lightly wrenched the plastic handle of his suitcase, unknown treasures lurking inside its coffer. The old man swiftly whirled on his heel, navigating the swarm as he dissipated through the crowd. Aldrich was left with a simple goodbye and an obscure answer.

“That is another story for another time...”

Chapter 4 - Existence

RE: Malice (PG-13) [Update - Ch. 3]

Two notes to start...

One, you don't have to keep refering to the rating with each new chapter. Both my stories are PG-13, and I think you established it well enough right in the beginning that this isn't for little kids.

Two, word count isn't an issue, so long as it actually looks as though you're writing more than two pages per chapter.

I honestly regret not commenting on this from the beginning, and so far I'm just through the first chapter. Overall, it seems quite impressive (I mean, you even got Zy's attention and he just pops in sporadically nowadays. I know that one post of his was a while back, but still...). Hopefully I'll be able to catch up before your next chapter, but nonetheless keep at this!

@Apollo the Incinermyn - 10-4! Thanks for letting me know, I really appreciate it - it was definitely becoming redundant having to list the disclaimer and the word count. I thought it was required... yet again, I am terrible at reading instructions XD

I feel bad for not thanking Zyflair myself; I hope he drops by again sometime. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and comment, Apollo :)

Alright...back to the future writing – for now.

I've lost a bit of momentum with this story. I guess I've struck yet another rut this year :\

I have been working on a couple of other projects, though. I will be posting them shortly – one project is due after the contest due to certain material being my entry.

Chapter 4: Existence​

¤​

A silver glint pierced the midnight gloom of the basement, serpentine knots twisting into a skeletal thread of steel vertebrae. The burnished chain quivered in a jittery panic as the restrained vulpine writhed feverishly, a primal energy thrashing in her amaranth eyes. Ninetales was bombarded by the stench of putrid water dribbling beyond the pipes, its rusted hull intertwining into a mass of metal intestines. Water trickled within the labyrinth of canals, its turbulent flow plaguing the narrow corridor with screeching creaks and baleful groans. The fox tersely twitched, her howling shriek ascending to the ceiling. Dripping noises reverberated in her skull, liquid echoes drenching her brain with an irritating rhythm. 'Run, run, run, run, run...!' The fox voicelessly chanted, her ambition amplified by the continuing clamour. Ninetales snarled, expelling a feral roar as she unexpectedly lurched inside a concealed passage. The human handler yelped in bewilderment, the sporadic movement snapping his elbow back with a shuddering jolt. Using every ounce of strength to mobilize the fragile joint, the man slowly retreated in a herculean display of tug-of-war as he hauled the surly fox out of the narrow niche.

CUT IT OUT!” The human roared, his thunderous timbre ricocheting in the stone chamber. A brusque jerk silenced the beast, the restraint clamping tightly around her neck. Lightning displeasure assailed her throat with an electric bite, its asphyxiating grasp slowly constricting her windpipe. Ninetales gagged, saliva soaking her lower jaw as it splattered on her icteric fur. The fox instinctively stopped struggling, reluctantly giving leeway to the human. The man smirked, satisfied by this subtle display of obedience. Without sparing a second thought, he resumed his trek to cage the insolent beast.

Ninetales ensured every step was an arduous one, pressing her paws upon the concrete. Chipped claws spliced viscous ooze that blanketed the floor, the liquified filth diverging like a citrine river. The amber varnish latched its sticky droplets onto her ivory tails, every tip splashed with hints of tangerine and vermilion. Ninetales lifted every elegant tail, the nine orange points mirroring paintbrushes as threads of gunk stretched from the floor. Induced by the wild craze, the fox cared little for the hygienic problems encompassing the building. She only desired to run...no, escape the demonic influence surging through her body. Restrained by interlaced steel, the fox could only writhe like a worthless worm as the mental deterioration gnawed her from the inside out. Its diseased tongue licked her internal organs like sandpaper, roughly scraping the soft tissue with an agonizing sting. It ravaged her lungs, squeezing them until the air trapped inside began to burn. Ninetales released a whimpering cry, sorrowful tears oozing underneath dry yellow crust latched to her ducts. The fox desperately wished for death, for its sleek scythe to be swift and end her misery. As usual, her prayer remained unanswered as swells of pain billowed and receded within her like the ocean tide. 'I...I can't go on like this...!' Ninetales sobbed, her thoughts obscured by the insufferable anguish.

The pain was replaced by a disruptive clang, the creature absentmindedly smacking her skull into a pipe slinking along the lower segment of the corridor. Hot steam hissed out of a tiny fissure, whistling like an angry kettle as it attacked her eyes with a rush of mist. Ninetales growled, blindly snapping at the ghostly cloud with curved fangs. The human childishly rolled his eyes, muttering a demeaning term or two as he cinched the leash with a strict pull. The midnight inlay of the dungeon welcomed the vulpine, its swarthy shadow hungering to house its newest victim.

Ninetales was viciously thrown back into the dungeon, shredded straw exploding everywhere as she crashed upon her bed of hay. The human quickly locked the shackled chain, the metal thread wrought so tightly it mimicked a noose. The fox panicked as she realized how little slack there was, her eyes widening in terror. A psychosomatic reaction took effect, the creature believing that she was choking. Ninetales snarled viciously, thrashing like a hooked fish as the aggressiveness achieved its peak. The human callously ignored her plight, slamming the jail door shut. Whether she survived the night or suffered a cruel death...that was no longer his problem.

A creature that had been previously cloaked in shadow timidly emerged, his obsidian mane swept by a majestic flare. A tuft of goldenrod fur adorned his skinny tail, its shape diverging into a bright star. The feline tentatively rested on his dark haunches, cleaning his black paw with a slightly barbed tongue. This magnificent lion was known by Leander; an imperial moniker which suited his royal grandeur. Leander contemplatively glanced to his new acquaintance, the troubled creature continuing to endure the aftermath of her nightmarish voyage.

<What's wrong with her?> Leander solemnly enquired, his azure snout recognizing the scent of primal fear. Its repugnant particles clung to every surface inside the stone chamber, draping the dungeon with a layer of tension. A veil of silence enshrouded the animals until a gentle whinny interrupted the awkward disquietude.

<Everyone deals with their first experience differently...> The Rapidash softly neighed, his hoof pawing the concrete with a rueful clap. <The only thing we can do right now is wait.>

<Titan has a good point...> Kenhorou concurred with a senescent whistle. <This may progress well into the night. I suggest we try and get some sleep.> Kenhorou owlishly blinked, stretching his delicate wings with a satisfying shiver. The avian worriedly glanced to his vulpine friend, her convulsions incredibly disturbing to watch. Kenhorou became crestfallen, powerless to provide his support. The only thing he could do was pray for her. <Stay strong...> Kenhorou whispered tentatively, skulking back to the safety of the shadow. Titan swished his dazzling flame tail, glittering embers sprinkling the stone with a flamboyant flair. He delivered a fleeting glimpse to the tormented creature, concern swirling in his red eyes. Like Kenhorou, he was deeply worried about the nine-tailed fox. He neighed in remorse, realizing he had to accept his own advice and wait until morning. Titan slipped his eyes shut, the lull of nighttime bringing him a hollow dream.

Meanwhile, the other Pokémon unanimously began to nestle in for the night. Leander stretched his spine forward, his claws producing grit as they scraped the stone surface.

<Sleep sounds like a good idea. I'm pretty tired from the last fight...> Leander yawned, revealing four intimidating fangs. Sallow veins streaked the peak of every tooth, the stench of decaying rot emanating from his mouth. The Luxray delivered a weary bow to his cellmates. <Be safe, everyone.> Melancholic responses flooded the cell, weak mewls and barks resonating with a sorrowful timbre. A drowsy sensation slowly infected the dungeon, luring the creatures into a midnight slumber. The Pokémon slowly drifted into an undisturbed sleep – except one.

A petite creature was hunched over in a corner, its white claws anxiously scratching the stone tiles. She remained cloaked in shadow, its obsidian curtain sheathing her in absolute darkness. Scarlet eyes timorously glimpsed to the terrifying beast, flinching when a guttural snarl escaped her throat. There was something about this fox – something she couldn't ignore. 'Could it be...?' She pondered, squinting against the opaque veil of stygian shadow. Vision could not confirm her suspicions, for the dungeon was submerged in a muddled murkiness. She clicked her tongue, disappointed by her fruitless efforts. 'I can't see. Oh well, I'll wait. What's another twenty-four hours? I've already been waiting for five years...' Delivering one last seething glare, the identity of the lurker was betrayed by a sleek scarlet quill before it vanished into obscurity.

Ninetales was immersed in a macabre nightmare, forced to wrestle her demons with disturbingly violent convulsions. The environment was warped into a surreal realm, shadowed hallucinations prowling in her vision. Black mist peeled off the stone walls like ethereal decay, its ghostly tendrils curling around the disfigured ankles of a cadaverous equine. Its hollow eyes glared at her, a haunting nothingness luring her gaze into its vortex. The equine possessed emaciated hindquarters, its reedy tail sullied by maggots which were sewn in the gristly hairs like diseased opals. The fox timidly pressed her fragile body against the cement barricade, the porous stone nipping her skin with frigid fangs. 'What is that thing?!' Ninetales silently screamed, her eyes feverishly darting in vacillating directions. Ghoulish imagery plagued her broken mind, morbid colours and shapes stitching themselves into a delusional quilt of fabricated fantasy. The fox quivered as a feral breath slithered down her nape, its fetid stench churning her stomach. Ninetales swiftly whirled around, flecks of stone embedding into her soft paws. The fox began to cry, her quivering sobs lost amidst her surreal figments. 'What is this...?' Ninetales was completely lost inside her own mind. Was this reality? Was this a delusion? Whatever it was...

It was like glimpsing into the depths of purgatory.

A sable flame slithered upon the cool stone, its black edges singeing the grout like an acidic corrosive. The fox observed the minerals bubbling beneath the black fire like fresh tar, hardening into disfigured ridges and processes. Ninetales whimpered, viewing a grotesque landscape of blight and atrophy. A black phantasm pervaded the unholy flame, its spiralling horns twisting with a devilish arc. 'It's...It's the Devil!' Ninetales voicelessly shrieked, cringing at the magnitude of evil pulsating beneath his skin. Its eyes glowed like an empty void, the edges stained by a jaundiced corona. A mauve tongue slithered between crooked fangs, its slightly barbed tip dripping with an icy green liquid. 'Get away...!' Ninetales meekly thought, cowering in a corner. The devilish beast did not obey, his abnormal tongue coiling over his skull and around the ossified base of his horn. Ninetales quivered violently, unable to save her dignity as she abruptly urinated out of panic. This thing wasn't natural – it was a sin.

<GET AWAY FROM ME!> Ninetales roared, a column of molten flame spewing out of her throat. The hallucinations were instantaneously vanquished, swept away by a blazing grandeur of light. Ninetales collapsed in exhaustion, her tongue splayed over her jowl. Everything tasted so flavourless, her gums and teeth plagued by a clear crust of dry saliva. Ninetales was drenched in darkness, the twilight hour embracing her broken spirit and coaxing the creature to relinquish herself to the despairing abyss. The tingling sensation of lethargy encroached upon her, crawling like a parasite through the vein of her consciousness. Ninetales had no time to bid adieu to the evening, the vulpine quickly slipping into the embrace of a vacant slumber. The fox slightly curled her legs, quietly lying on her side as the other creatures breathed a sigh of relief – her torment had finally passed.

-

A bleary dawn welcomed the imprisoned animals, fluorescent lighting flickering on with blinding brutality. The militaristic footsteps of a human encroached closer to the dreary dungeon, his calloused fingers clutching a cylindrical object. His russet irises glimpsed beyond the iron jaws of the cell, reticently observing the slumbering shadows hunched in corners. He slowly clocked his arm upwards, swiftly releasing his strength and aggressively striking the steel with his baton. A thunderous chime sang with a sickeningly loud resonance, its vibrations crashing upon the creatures in burdening waves. Titan was startled beyond his subconscious realm, shrieking with an alarming whinny as he unintentionally kicked a steel dowel. The second clang produced a greater magnitude of sound, causing a chaotic awakening. The human laughed, amused by the commotion he had initiated.

“I never get tired of tormenting these stupid beasts.” He chuckled, a naughty gleam twinkling in his unruly stare. The human guard resumed his patrol as he ascended into the upper level, twirling his black rod with a victorious flip. Leander was the first to escape the clutches of the chaotic clamber, giving his voluminous mane a rough shake. His golden iris peered beyond the rambunctious animals, observing a peaceful creature lying on the cement. Ivory white fur sultrily graced her slender body, a myriad of tails curving behind her like an alabaster teardrop. Leander cautiously encroached upon her silhouette, gingerly sniffing her neck. The Luxray growled softly, recognizing subtle pheromones skimming the surface of her veins. Leander gently nudged his snout against a wet nose, smiling as a white paw groggily scratched the air.

<Wake up.>

An ivory ear twitched upon recognizing vague whispers speaking to her, her olfactory senses picking up a slightly familiar scent. It harboured quite a bit of musk, an earthen aroma clinging to the pungent fragrance. Ninetales owlishly blinked, her sleepy scarlet eyes mimicking scintillating garnets. The fox groaned loudly, hissing as her skull throbbed with the ebb and flow of a turbulent tide. 'Ugh...Why is my head so heavy...?' Ninetales grimaced, disliking how this metaphorical iron weight squashed her brain. Kiyomizu had once mentioned the sensation known as a hangover, and the vulpine could only imagine that this mirrored it quite well.

<What happened...?> Ninetales croaked, her voice withered by her nightmarish escapade from the previous night.

<You had quite the nightmare yesterday.> Titan whispered softly, his massive equine stature cloaked in bleary light. <You gave us a bit of a fright.>

'Nightmare? What is he talking about?' Ninetales silently murmured, adopting a puzzled expression. The fox was absolutely shocked – she remembered nothing. <I don't remember anything...> Ninetales worriedly pawed the stone, her eyes feverishly searching the masonry for an answer. <I can only remember what had happened in the stadium...>

<I wouldn't be concerned, my lady. It is similar with all of us.> Kenhorou piped up, gesturing a tattered wing to his camaraderie of misfit derelicts. <We suppress memories so deeply that we can barely remember who we are or how we got here.>

<I remember my name, at least.> Leander chuckled merrily, dauntlessly approaching his vulpine companion. The majestic lion performed a regal – and rather extravagant bow, exuding a slightly stilted personality. <My name is Leander. What is your name?>

<I...> Ninetales shyly cast her gaze aside, conservatively crossing her front paws. <I've never had a proper name. I was always called by my species name, like most Pokémon.>

<That is a lie.>

A pair of polished white claws spliced the dark veil of obscurity, a petite creature crawling underneath the curtain of fluorescent lighting. The animal resembled a hybrid of a feline and a weasel, its sable fur harbouring clumps of unkempt hair. It timidly prowled closer, its nostrils flaring and deflating as it gingerly sniffed the vulpine scent. The creature narrowed her carmine irises, her malicious glare dripping with venom. <So, it is you...> She seethingly hissed, baring diminutive pearly fangs. <I never thought we'd encounter each other again, here of all places.> Ninetales blinked, completely flabbergasted.

<Have...we met?>

<Don't play stupid!> The Sneasel shrieked, her outburst lingering inside the bones of every eavesdropping creature. <You had a demonic fit last night. That glazed fury in your eyes...it was identical to that time. I knew it had to be you. You behaved in the exact same way. You maimed me all those years ago. Remember me? I'm Senka.> Senka gestured to a scarlet protrusion sprouting out of her head, its willowy shape resembling a feather. The upper half was completely ripped away, large teeth marks providing a jagged edge. Ninetales observed a black trim tainting the flesh, its contours disrupted by bubbled flesh. Ninetales gasped. 'It's burnt...!' Ninetales calmly fixated her gaze, trying to implement logic into the conversation.

<I've never fought a Sneasel in my life. I was never used for battles - >

<LIAR!!> Senka screamed, a devastating rage unleashed against her shattered soul. A surge of unnatural animosity coursed within the tiny weasel, igniting her initiative to slaughter. Senka roared fiercely, lunging straight at the bewildered vixen. A loud clink interrupted her wild onslaught, her inertia ensnared by a heavy silver thread. Senka struggled against the leash, her collar pressed tightly against her throat.

<I will never forgive you for what you did. You ruined my life!>

<I don't - !>

<You defeated us in battle. That humiliating fight scarred my trainer for life. Thanks to you, he no longer had the will to carry on...> Senka tentatively bit her lip. <He felt inadequate as a trainer...and as a master. It drove him insane. It drove him to the edge. It drove him to apathy. He no longer wished to raise Pokémon, or have anything to do with us. My trainer...sold me to Aldrich.> Senka savagely scratched the stone floor, engraving strident loathing into the tiles. <I ended up here because of you...> Ninetales clenched her jaw, the flagrant accusation causing her fur to bristle in irritation. This was a lie – it had to be.

<Senka, please listen - >

<SHUT UP!> Senka wailed, her ghostly screech fabricating a stigma in the terse atmosphere. Crystalline tears trickled down her face like a clear ribbon, staining the stone with the lamenting essence of rain. Senka hunched over slightly, her ribcage rattled by irrepressible sobs. Ninetales felt a tight knot coil inside her throat, asphyxiating her guilt. Senka quickly lifted her head, vehemently glaring at the morose fox. <I...I will NEVER forgive you, Shiva!!>

Ninetales' heart completely stopped.

Shiva.

Shiva.

SHIVA.

'Why does that name...make me feel so angry?' Ninetales inwardly thought, her legs quivering in absolute terror. A split second of meagre confusion nearly snatched a fragment of her identity away, its wintry grasp possessing a frightening touch. Ninetales shuddered, her disbelieving eyes oblivious to the scrupulous stares delivered unto her. Vindictive whispers flooded the chamber, the soft chatter weighed by suspected deception and danger. Senka crumpled underneath her trembling paws, her burdening emotions straddling her frail shoulders. The Sneasel shakily crawled backwards, mumbling incoherently as she skulked underneath the comforting shroud of shadow. Ninetales flinched upon registering the magnitude of mistrust emanating past every calculating gaze. Every creature harboured such intense loathing, it was nearly unfathomable.

<Is this true?> Titan whispered, his voice projecting restrained exasperation.

<Who are you, exactly?> Kenhorou whistled sceptically. Ninetales reluctantly glimpsed in her water dish, observing her rippling reflection in the turbid water. Her identity slowly slipped away into the recesses of her unstable memory, broken imagery surfacing like a distorted film. Who was this fox who looked back at her? The vulpine cautiously observed the billowing crests disrupting her reflection, the movement silently mocking her uncertainty. Ninetales shivered, wondering if she truly was what the weasel had said; a wild beast of wanton destruction. Perhaps she was something worse. 'A murderer...?' Ninetales whimpered, unable to tame a stray tear as its briny warmth slid down her sullen features. What was this thing that stared at her beyond the water? Ninetales didn't know.

Neither did anyone else.

Chapter 5 – TBA

...hmmm...!!

I think my only regret about reading through this story (just read the latter 3 chapters up to this point tonight) is that I couldn't wade through all the adjectives perfectly well. Yet, these words only add to the description and give a more accurate, intricate image...of which I can't fully grasp, yet.

Chapters 2 and 3, plot-wise, seemed almost the same, just a strange Ninetales being thrown into a strange terrible world she's never known before...I'm glad I got to read chapter 4; it was a total curveball. Now with the factor of 'mysterious past' being more fully explored, I think it's going to get more interesting from here on out!

What I'd like to know more of right now is Ninetales'/Shiva's past, but like any good reader, I'll need to wait patiently to hear more only as you see fit to reveal more of the story. And so I await with bated breath!

...I think reading all those adjectives has confounded my thoughts so much I can barely make sense of my own post. At least, I sorta understand what I just wrote.

@DNA – Thank you very much for reviewing my story!

I am relieved to hear that chapter four possessed the diverging storyline and character development (i.e. beginning of). This was my ultimate intention, so it is great to have it acknowledged. I felt that chapters two and three harboured a bit of overtly described action it's like DBZ with thirty minutes of shouting, though certain aspects of those segments were required to help flesh out the details for future chapters. My fighting scenes always have the horrifying 'filler syndrome', unless it requires special circumstances (e.g. magic, swords, etc) which end up being shorter yet still retain everything necessary to provide the atmosphere. God forbid I write a Street Fighter 2 fanfiction x)

I should have been in bed by now, but I couldn't resist replying :3

Thanks again~

Back