• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Malamar EX / Malamar / Hydreigon

Chandler Rowland

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon:
  • 3 Inkay (XY: Base / Ancient Origins)
  • 3 Malamar XY58 Promo
  • 3 Skrelp
  • 3 Dragalge
  • 3 Bellsprout
  • 3 Weepinbell
  • 3 Victreebell
  • 3 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums:
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Shauna / Professor Birch's Observations
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Muscle Band
  • 2 Rare Candy
Energy:
  • 4 DCE
  • 3 Dark Energy
  • 4 Grass Energy
Strategy (Revised):

After community input, we have came to the realization that the Malamar EX / Malamar Promo combo is not possible due to Asleep coin flips being "in-bewtween" turns. The new revised strategy is to get out Victreebell and Dragalge on the bench ASAP to confuse/poison/retreat lock your opponent with the Malamar promo's ability.

Last edited:
You probably will be fine with a 3-3 line of the Malamar and only one Zweilous, Rare Candy will be faster allowing you to power up an attacker by turn 2 at the earliest instead of turn 3 while still inflicting the sleep with an attachment to Malamar-EX. IMO running Shauna is better than Birch just for the consistency and you could probably drop a Steven and add some Wally to try and start the sleep lock turn one. Also with the promo Malamar's attack you can also lock them into attacking themselves so you really only ever need one or two Hydreigon on the bench to successfully attack as you run DCE. Since a lot of decks rely on stadiums and Malamar is weak to Fighting adding Shadow Circle is a good idea as well.

So overall
-1 Inkay
-1 Malamar
-1 Zweilous
-1 Steven
-2 Deino
-2 Hydriegon

+2 Muscle Band
+3 Wally
+3 Shadow Circle

Last edited:
You probably will be fine with a 3-3 line of the Malamar and only one Zweilous, adding two Rare Candy, since it will be faster allowing you to power up an attacker by turn 2 at the earliest instead of turn 3 while still inflicting the sleep. IMO running Shauna is better than Birch just for the consistency and you could probably replace the Steven with Wally to try and start the sleep lock turn one.

So overall
-1 Inkay
-1 Malamar
-1 Zweilous
-2 Steven

+2 Rare Candy
+3 Wally

Yea, I originally was going to put Wally in there but was not sure if it would be the best option for consistency. Thank you for the input.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Sleep is in-between turns, and Malamar only works on your opponent's turn. Since Sleep is technically not on your opponent's turn, Malamar's Contrary doesn't work.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Sleep is in-between turns, and Malamar only works on your opponent's turn. Since Sleep is technically not on your opponent's turn, Malamar's Contrary doesn't work.
Didn't even think of this technicality, but yeah this makes the deck pretty much pointless

You could use Malamar Promo to "confuse lock" them though right? Since the opponent would be flipping during their turn for their attack? I had an idea for a Malamar Promo deck to. I wanted to base it around Team Aqua and use Malamar to support Team Aqua's Seviper, Team Aqua's Muk and Aqua Diffuser.

Victreebel can cause confusion for a Grass Energy discard on it, and it can be played Turn 1 with Forest of Giant Plants. Judge from XY8 along with Hydreigon can make Conform work, with built in Confusion. Just some ideas to make your new deck work...

I did not even think about the "in between turn" part of it. Well dang.... I like the confuse lock idea, but is there a way to retreat lock your opponent? I know Trevenant EX does this, but Malamar has to be in your active slot....

I've been playing with this idea myself. Initially I used Primal clash Masquerain with Ariados but this falls down to grass decks. But similar to Shaymin/Trvenant. This deck would be much better with float stones. I actually saw a mistranslated article that suggested he only needed to be in play so did put him together with phantom forces Venomoth for complete op trainer lock down. Glad that's not a thing!
Anyway half the time I play this deck, I've actually found at times it's worth leaving Malamar active and going for the mill. Of course Lysandre/Hex Maniac/switch all ruin your day, but if you can weather the resources storm it's sometimes an option.
Also I play thiner lines (2-2-2 line of Victreebell, and 2-2 of Dragalge.) Four Shaymin help set things up niceley, then I only play shauna/Birch and one sacred ash/energy recycler to make sure my deck goes the distance.

I've been playing with this idea myself. Initially I used Primal clash Masquerain with Ariados but this falls down to grass decks. But similar to Shaymin/Trvenant. This deck would be much better with float stones. I actually saw a mistranslated article that suggested he only needed to be in play so did put him together with phantom forces Venomoth for complete op trainer lock down. Glad that's not a thing!
Anyway half the time I play this deck, I've actually found at times it's worth leaving Malamar active and going for the mill. Of course Lysandre/Hex Maniac/switch all ruin your day, but if you can weather the resources storm it's sometimes an option.
Also I play thiner lines (2-2-2 line of Victreebell, and 2-2 of Dragalge.) Four Shaymin help set things up niceley, then I only play shauna/Birch and one sacred ash/energy recycler to make sure my deck goes the distance.

One thing to look forward to is the fact Float Stone is getting a reprint next set. This deck will become pretty viable once that set is legal. I do like the Ariados variant, but don't want to play it until the Float Stone reprint.

Back