Discussion Making a Case for the 'Other' M Mewtwo-EX

uncleyuri

~
I'm talking about M Mewtwo-EX - 63/162. The one with Vanishing Strike. Ok ....so I know this card isn't considered viable in the current Meta. It's sibling, M Mewtwo-EX - 64/162 with psychic infinity obviously a big part of the Meta right now and clearly the preferred option. I'm attempting to make a case for the shunned M Mewtwo, that it's not as unplayable as it seemingly is.

This isn't the deck garage so I won't post a deck list, but take your standard staple M Mewtwo/Garb deck list and your just tweaking a few cards (and energies obviously).

So you're never getting 3 M Mewtwo set up but pulling off damage change turn 2 (if needed) and hitting for the full 200 dmg by turn 3 is a good possibility. Ultra ball, sycamore, and mega turbo really accelerate this deck. That sounds pretty good to me.

Other perks: 230 HP, 20 more than M Mewtwo Y. This means to be OHKOd, M Rayquaza needs a full 8 Pokémon on its bench, Rainbow Road needs 8 different types of Pokémon on its bench, and even M Mewtwo Y needs 8 energy between both. Might not seem like a big deal but it is. If your opponent is 1 short on either and they attack, you just damage change the 220 or 210 dmg they did right back for the OHKO. Now their set up Pokémon is out and yours is fully set up with no damage.

Another perk, Vanishing Strike, the main attack isn't affected by resistance or any other effects on your opponent's active Pokémon if there is a Stadium in play. This means if your opponent plays anything that has any damage disruption like Carbink, Regice, Glaceon EX and even Giratina EX, well it doesn't matter. Pokémon who have resistance to psychic damage, sorry not anymore. Vanishing Strike hits for the full 200 on all of them. No real need to play Pokémon ranger or hex maniac (esp if your running Garb). Also no stress of having to find these cards late game when your deck has really thinned out. You'll also find a lot of people aren't as familiar with M Mewtwo X and aren't even aware of this perk. They'll pull up their Giratina or Carbink thinking they'll have a turn or 2 respite to get organized and then oops they're KOd and scrambling again.

Energy Perk: No special energies. With a bigger emphasis now a days on enhanced hammers and attacks that discard special energies, no problem here. With DCEs being a big part of M Mewtwo Y, that's a point in M Mewtwo X's favor.

Problems: Vanishing Strike only hits for 200 dmg, not enough to OHKO Mega Pokémon. 2 things that make this manageable. The first is damage change. If you pull this off you're KOing them next turn every time. The 2nd is without the need of Pokémon Ranger and Hex Maniac you can include Giovanni's scheme. With this card you can add 20 dmg which gets you to a OHKO for most of the Megas being played in the meta right now. It can also be another draw supporter if you need it to be as well. So you can use it early game and then VS Seeker it later if needed for the OHKO.

So have I convinced anyone??? At the end of the day is this is not close to tier one. However, I think it's possible to be competitive imo due to a lot of the things outlined that I think many people overlook.

Its a card that could be good. I have ran into it a few times so not seeing Mega Mewtwo Y is always a good time but its attack will erase any Pokemon EX without a FFB. 200 damage each turn is very strong, even if you don't get a OHKO. Since the format went into more consistent decks that 2HKO, that Mega Mewtwo X is very good at its job.

I think the largest problem is the same Primal Groudon EX. It takes too much Energy to get going and it doesn't get going quickly with DCE - since it can't use it. Sure you can use Mega Turbo but you need to use it to get one up whereas the other Mega Mewtwo you don't need them and can use them to get others up and running. M Mewtwo EX 63 is good if you get one up quickly but streaming them isn't something that can happen realistically in a competitive back and forth game.

Another thing is more decks are playing Energy denial, which makes that 4 attack cost hard to setup and right now, a lot of people are playing Yveltal EX, which gets 80 more damage just from the Mewtwo. Something that really cripples it is it can't use any of the fighting type support but this card could work well alongside the other Mega Mewtwo EX.

I personally dont like the M Mewtwo X, but I think you can make it better with the Mewtwo EX from evolutions (energy absorption) and baby Hoopa STS, so you spread some damage with it, making the OHKO possible in the megas.

I tried it in the last summer before rotation but haven't tried it yet this rotation. Yes, the huge energy cost is very prohibitive. Plus, all that energy is a huge weakness against Yveltal EX and Mewtwo Y, two of the most common decks I'm seeing in the new rotation. It might be a tier 2 deck, but it's definitely not going to be a top level, dominant deck.

Mega Mewtwo X is bad for the same reason every other mega with a 4-Energy attack is bad; it has a 4-Energy attack and the BDIF's main attacker punishes Energy attachments, to say nothing of the rise of Raticate decks which means you will attack exactly once and then never again.

This deck was a lot better with Dimension Valley in format. Being able to swing for 200 on T2 made it so much better.

As an alternate rogue anti-meta deck, I could see M Glalie working in conjunction with a Team Magma Stadium. May be easier to set-up than M Mewtwo X.

While the deck hasn't really worked for me with damage change Mewtwo. I have found the Mewtwo from EVO-52 to be pretty good for the deck. For 1 [C] energy. You can attach any energy from your discard pile to it. If you were to go second you could in theory get at least 3 Energy attached to it in one turn.

Manual Attach>Mega Turbo>Energy Absorption.

Plus you can still use shrine of memories to mega evolve and keep attaching energy too.

I built this deck when it came out, and, let me tell ya, it was bad and always will be. There is no good way to power it up and it's attack maxes out at 200, but 210 and above is popular in this metagame. It will never be good unless they print a card that was like meant for it.

Back