Major Changes to 2017 Play! Pokemon Events

Rather happy about the whole Cities and Regionals news. As a full time college student, I would've loved to make it to a regional and more Cities last season, but could not due to travel, and that there were only 3 Cities held somewhat close to me. Now this hopefully means there will be a regional closer than a 5 hour drive away from me.

I'm still not sure how the new League Cups will be since you can only have 1 per quarter at a given shop. I just hope the shops are more aware of this information and will step up to do more events.

Woah.

Pokémon just basically flipped the switch and decided they were going to utilize growth in recent years to launch a new era of their competitive scene. They focus on the big, esports-esque events (and a bunch of the small, necessary stuff) while the community or other organizations take up hosting national events. This isn't going to hurt players in any way--its simply opening new opportunities to go to even bigger events while simply letting the mid-size events get handled elsewhere (and, if the recent growth in the game shows anything, people will be jumping at the chance to host nationals). Given Nintendo and Pokémon's resistance to competitive atmospheres since forever (just look at smash several years ago, and they still refuse to say the word "EV" when talking about the video game), I'm a little shocked at the sudden jump towards what most competitive games look like now. Bravo.

Im curious on one thing. Apparently, if I am reading everything right, players willing to travel can more or less compete in multiple areas? Since different players have access to different languages, will the rule on using only your native country's language be lifted? Even if this would only apply to Continental Championships, you're still going to have other languages than your own competing. Personally I think the language restriction was a bit out of place.

Back