• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Magneboar

Lumos77

Swift Swimming Away...
I know most people think Magneboar is useless in the current format, but I want to give it a try anyways.
MagneBoar
Pokemon:

1-1 RD legend
3-1-2 Emboar
2 Reshiram
3-1-3 Magnezone
Trainers:
2 N
2 PONT
2 Energy Retrieval
2 Fisherman
2 Switch
2 Twins
1 Super Rod
4 Junk Arm
3 Collector
3 Catcher
3 Communication
4 Candy
Energy:
8 Fire
4 Electric

Strategy:
You want to start with a Reshiram, for stall, mostly. As they whittle away at the Reshiram, you set up an Emboar and Magnezone. At this point you can attack with Reshiram, or switch and attack with Magnezone. When you have two prizes left, or really desperate, you lay down the RDL and attack, and hope that you can live one more turn, assuming you didn't just win the game.

Also, for you skeptics out there, if you have a fun, quick deck in mind, please post the general idea.

-1 Junk Arm
-3 Energy Retrieval
-1 Fisherman
-1 Fire Energy
-1 Reshiram
-1 Interviewer's Questions

+1-1-1 Magnezone Prime
+1-0-1 Emboar (Badboar)
+1 Electric Energy
+2 Twins

This is what I run in my list. I always find it hard to get out Electric Enregies. Add the Twins because there are 2 stage 2s in this deck. THis deck is considerably slow for the first few turns. Add the Magnezone and Badboar because the deck need to have a strong line of these cards. Badboar is good for maybe 1 attack. Magnezone is your main attacker. If your opponent nocks out your Magnezone and one is prized, then you're out of luck. 3 is the safest way to go. Take away the energy retrievals and fisherman because, again, Magnezone should be your main attacker and those energy are to be lost zoned. Keep 1 of each for a Reshiram attack or a Badboar attack. Otherwise, the deck is very good. And, by the way, the people who say that Magneboar is useless, they are wrong. It won a Regionals a few weeks ago :)

Your energy lines are way too huge:
-1 Junk Arm
-2 Energy Retrieval
-1 Fisherman
-1 Fire Energy
-1 Switch
-2 Catcher
-2 Interviewers
-1 Reshiram
+1 Pokemon Collector
+1-0-1 Magnezone
+2-0-1 Emboar (Badboar
+1 Twins
+1 Cleffa
+3 PONT

I took several of the suggestions, but I think I have too small energy lines since I plan on mostly attacking with the RDL and Reshirams and only 1 Magnezone, though I have never used a fire deck before, so I wouldn't know.

But it's extremely hard to set up another emboar. It's pretty useless. I mean, the only reason RDL is in there is to get 2 prizes. Name one thing that badboar can do that magnezone or emboar can't.

He can set up easier, especialy if you have a spare Tepig on your bench, and his energies are retrievable, unlike Magnezone

So your going to waste all those resources to do 150 damage, which magnezone can do with less energy? Have you actually playtested badboar? How useful is it?

Those energies are recoverable, and no, I am still missing two Magnezones, so I can't test yet.

Whether you prefer RDL or Badboar, I believe one makes the other redundant. RDL is probably the better play overall unless you see a lot of Goth and they have no problem getting 3 psychic energy on two of them. RDL helps catch up on the prizes as well, which can be great late game. I would probably pitch Badboar for another Pokemon Communication, as it helps get out Magnezone early, and RDL late game.

I'd also swap PONT for N. N is amazing with Magnezone as it provides refresh for you early on, disruption for the opponent early on, and cripples your opponent's hand in the late game. I might also drop the rescue energies for another Junk Arm and a Super Rod. Super Rod helps with recovery and a fourth Junk Arm is always handy in this kind of deck since it lets you draw more with Magnetic draw and reuse trainers at will. If four Junk Arm seems like overkill, a third Twins never goes amiss.

-3 PONT
-1 Badboar
-2 Rescue

+1 Communication
+3 N
+1 Super Rod
+1 Junkarm/Twins

Changes made
Also, is there any way I can add a tech to prevent autoloss to Gothitelle?

It looks like you actually listened to someone about badboar, but proxy the zones or play online. I would understand if you really liked badboar because you playtested it but since you've never actually tested the deck, I really don't see the reason for your love of badboar. As for gothitelle, magby tr works. (it burns goth, shutting down its ability).

I like energy recycling, mostly, and I would like a majority before making changes, not a 1-1.
Moving on, however, do statuses effect abilities?

You can twins out rdl. Trust me. Playtest it and see how easily it can win games. It's also recyclable, although that shouldn't matter too much. Read goth's ability closely to see how stasus's shut it down

Well, they can just switch the damage off until they can get another Gothitelle set up, providing I haven't set up yet.

It's not the damage. Magic room doesn't work is goth is affected with a special condition.
EDIT: wow, I cannot believe I missed that. I guess abilities are different from poke bodies and such. Magby is a goth counter for zpst. Gothitelle/reuniclus is actually a pretty good matchup for magneboar, provided you can get your evolutions out before the lock. If you can get them out, however, you can keep ohkoing their gothitelles until they run out of resources

Also, I've been considering a Tyram deck. What does this deck have over that one?

It depends on your style. Magneboar can hit for as much damage as you need, and tyram can consistently hit large damage. In this format, I would honestly go with tyram because once they catcher your emboars, it's pretty much game

I do have switches. Anyways, what deck do you play, and what does it have over others? I am deck shopping right now, so suggest stuff.

Back