Ruling Magearna EX Questions

Slayer

Aspiring Trainer
First and foremost I'm sorry if this was already asked, but i searched a bit and while I saw some topics regarding this matter, some contradicted each other and I some didn't explain exactly what I want to know.

Example: I have a let's say a M Scizor EX with steel energies attached, one of them being a special metal, and a Magearna EX on the bench. I will now present my questions in different scenarios:

1 - Promo Jirachi discards my Special energy; it will still be immune next turn regardless of Magearna ability correct?

2 - Glaceon EX/Regice attacks with the second attack; can I attack it next turn anyways or not?

3 - If it was just a Scizor EX and Jolteon attacks; can I attack it with regular Scizor EX that got attacked next turn or not?

4 - Mewtwo uses Damage Change; does it do anything or not?

5 - Giratina EX attacks; since it doesn't affect my Pokémon, nothing changes regardless of Magearna right?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this, really appreciate it!

Scans of all the cards talked about:

75.jpg
XY7_EN_24.png
giraex.jpg
1080583.jpg
113686_200w.jpg
1094064.jpg
200px-JirachiXYPromo67.jpg
XY9_EN_120.png
1088313.jpg

Last edited:
1 - Promo Jirachi discards my Special energy; it will still be immune next turn regardless of Magearna ability correct?

Yep.

2 - Glaceon EX/Regice attacks with the second attack; can I attack it next turn anyways or not?

You can attack, but it will do no damage. With this said, Glaceon-EX only prevents damage from Evolution Pokemon, not effects of attacks, so if it had a Special Energy attached to it, you could discard it. Compare to Regice, which prevents all effects of attacks, including damage, so you could not discard a Special Energy from it. Regardless of whichever one attacked you, you could choose to discard a Stadium in play, as those are not effects "done to" the target.

3 - If it was just a Scizor EX and Jolteon attacks; can I attack it with regular Scizor EX that got attacked next turn or not?

You can attack, but it will do no damage.

If the target was protected by Mystic Heart, Mewtwo would heal all its damage and the Defending Pokemon would be unaffected. When you try to move damage to a protected target, the damage is simply erased. When you try to move damage from a protected target, the effect does nothing.

5 - Giratina EX attacks; since it doesn't affect my Pokémon, nothing changes regardless of Magearna right?

The effect of Chaos Wheel is on your opponent, not his Pokemon. Mystic Heart would not affect Chaos Wheel in any way.

Yep.

You can attack, but it will do no damage. With this said, Glaceon-EX only prevents damage from Evolution Pokemon, not effects of attacks, so if it had a Special Energy attached to it, you could discard it. Compare to Regice, which prevents all effects of attacks, including damage, so you could not discard a Special Energy from it. Regardless of whichever one attacked you, you could choose to discard a Stadium in play, as those are not effects "done to" the target.

You can attack, but it will do no damage.

If the target was protected by Mystic Heart, Mewtwo would heal all its damage and the Defending Pokemon would be unaffected. When you try to move damage to a protected target, the damage is simply erased. When you try to move damage from a protected target, the effect does nothing.

The effect of Chaos Wheel is on your opponent, not his Pokemon. Mystic Heart would not affect Chaos Wheel in any way.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

One more thing to conclude: aside from the situation with Mewtwo EX, could you please give me another type of example for an effect that would be prevented by Magearna EX?

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

One more thing to conclude: aside from the situation with Mewtwo EX, could you please give me another type of example for an effect that would be prevented by Magearna EX?
Any attack that puts a number of damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon.
Any attack that could inflict a Special Condition.
Any attack that puts an effect on your opponent's Pokemon, such as preventing them from evolving or retreating.

Loosely speaking, if it's not direct damage, and the effect would be done to the Pokemon (and not your opponent or your own Pokemon), Mystic Heart blocks it. If you have any other specific examples you'd like clarified, just post.

Any attack that puts a number of damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon.
Any attack that could inflict a Special Condition.
Any attack that puts an effect on your opponent's Pokemon, such as preventing them from evolving or retreating.

Loosely speaking, if it's not direct damage, and the effect would be done to the Pokemon (and not your opponent or your own Pokemon), Mystic Heart blocks it. If you have any other specific examples you'd like clarified, just post.

Ok, I think I understood it completely, I just didn't know that special conditions actually counter too.

Thanks a lot for your time!

@Slayer I have to clarify a few things.

I misread your question and thought you meant the Magearna-EX was on your opponent's side of the field. That changes a few answers.

1. If Jirachi attacks with Stardust and Magearna-EX is on your side of the field, it won't discard an Energy because that effect is prevented by Mystic Heart. Therefore, it would not be immune during your next turn.

2. and 3. This answer is the same as posted. The effect of Crystal Ray / Resistance Blizzard / Flash Ray lies on them, not you, so Mystic Heart can't block it.

4. If Mewtwo uses Damage Change and is being affected by your own Mystic Heart, the attack goes through as normal. Mystic Heart only protects from your opponent's attacks, not your own.

5. No change.

Back