Finished Mafia XXXVIII: Battle for the Republic (Congratulations Darth Sidious!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading through the case, NP brings up some pretty good points on Blakers. I'm still keeping my vote on Rainy, but I have a question myself.

@Blakers, how much experience have you had with Mafia before? This was probably asked and answered before, but I don't know and I think it could be a small window into whether you've got any outside influences, well, influencing your posts.

I've really had no experience with it before. A lot of my points come from common sense, and as for playing both sides, that's just my playstyle. As a new player, I want to stick around, and the best way to do that is to help and prove my loyalty to the town. But I'm not quite sure about the situations in this particular game, and don't want to make any rash choices like I did in Duck Hunt. So that's why I've been quiet. And though it may look like I'm feigning contribution to you, I'm really trying to learn the ropes. I get that NinjaPenguin plays the bad cop a lot, but that can sometimes go too far.

Jabberwock, you asked for a lynch candidate besides myself? I would probably suggest thegrovylekid. Trying to minimize the amount of conversation is never a good thing, and he should know that as a veteran. He's also been putting attention in a multitude of places throughout the game, and in my eyes it seems like he may be scrambling to give the spotlight to someone else. And he used rainyman123 as an excuse to try to diminish conversation, and ultimately attention, so that none of it could fall towards him. I may be off base, but that's what I think.

He knew what lurking was. There's also this quote, which looks copy/pasted from a scumchat:

It's interesting that he chose to use this line, which is a common refrain. It's almost like he has an experienced player to see this viewpoint from.
We have a glossary, and it is recommended that new players read it in the OP, so I presume Blakers did just that. That quote could be interpreted like the way you are, but it is also a viewpoint that can be concluded simply by logic.

As I explained before, this is a direct play to both sides. If Rainy flips town, he uses the second part to attest to his innocence. If he is scum, he uses the first part to attest to his innocence.

The "but" rubs me the wrong way here. "But" is generally contradictory, meaning he wants to hedge his bets again, even without actually saying it (it's written down more subconsciously than anything else). Considering placing your vote means nothing when your vote is not being used anyway.
He constantly ties himself to lynches, to make himself look good and scumhunty and to benefit him if they flip scum, but never commits, to make it look better when they flip town.

He also constantly has "nothing to offer", which looks more like "nothing to be used against him." You have to be able to come up with something after Day 1 has finished.

Overall, his posts feign contribution and hedge his bets too much.

The rest of these are good points. @NinjaPenguin ; you're actually mixing new player tells with experienced player tells here, which won't really work since Blakers is not your stereotypical new player.

I've really had no experience with it before. A lot of my points come from common sense, and as for playing both sides, that's just my playstyle. As a new player, I want to stick around, and the best way to do that is to help and prove my loyalty to the town. But I'm not quite sure about the situations in this particular game, and don't want to make any rash choices like I did in Duck Hunt. So that's why I've been quiet. And though it may look like I'm feigning contribution to you, I'm really trying to learn the ropes. I get that NinjaPenguin plays the bad cop a lot, but that can sometimes go too far.
This sounds like a bundle of excuses, and similar to the excuses I've made in scum a while back (Reinforce's game). Especially the "that's my playstyle" stuff. I'm also not sure what these "rash choices" were from Duck Hunt; I thought he was playing great in that game. This is what makes me think Blakers is scum. I'm treading carefully though, since we don't really know Blaker's play yet.

Jabberwock, you asked for a lynch candidate besides myself? I would probably suggest thegrovylekid. Trying to minimize the amount of conversation is never a good thing, and he should know that as a veteran. He's also been putting attention in a multitude of places throughout the game, and in my eyes it seems like he may be scrambling to give the spotlight to someone else. And he used rainyman123 as an excuse to try to diminish conversation, and ultimately attention, so that none of it could fall towards him. I may be off base, but that's what I think.
Do you logically think that scum (i.e. TGK) would gamble and lie to get rainy lynched this early in the game, knowing full well they risk getting lynched the following day if rainy flips town?

In what way am I trying to minimize the amount of conversation with my actions? Presenting evidence against another player based on roles is a decent part of how the game works.

Just gonna say, since you know, account issues were prevalent during the last couple days. Not to mention I've been super busy with a couple of projects in real life. Also, don't forget Im a newbie and don't really know how to play these games well. I'm still learning at this point I now the game. But I'm online now, so I'll spill:

TGK is pointing out scumtells. So what? It's how the game works. If nobody does it then who will? Sure, spotlight switching is a scumtell, but that doesn't mean he's scum.

Just gonna say, since you know, account issues were prevalent during the last couple days. Not to mention I've been super busy with a couple of projects in real life. Also, don't forget Im a newbie and don't really know how to play these games well. I'm still learning at this point I now the game. But I'm online now, so I'll spill:

TGK is pointing out scumtells. So what? It's how the game works. If nobody does it then who will? Sure, spotlight switching is a scumtell, but that doesn't mean he's scum.

Thoughts on Blakers?

We've already had THREE of these, and we're only at Day 2. Don't you think that's an abnormal amount of claims? I think it's definitely a little off.
No? I think he's in a tie to be lynched with less than 24 hours to go, and claiming if a top lynch contender is pro-town. Town need information in this case. If he doesn't claim:

- He could be scum and get lynched and we don't see a safe claim, which could have been helpful information.
- He could be town and janitored and we don't have any idea of his role (unlikely, but possible).
- He could be town and lynched. Let's hope he wasn't a major power role.
- He could be scum and not get lynched. Nothing really happens.
- He could be town and not get lynched. Scum are denied a small amount of information that probably won't change all that much.

Alright, you guys asked for it.

Mace Windu

Alignment: Republic (Jedi)

Second in charge of the Jedi Order, you brought a small group of Jedi into the Senate Chambers to watch over the preceding after arousing suspicion that the Separatists would attack. Luckily you were right and your Jedi are here to defend the Republic.

Passive Ability: Vaapad Fighter Style
As one of the only known users of this unique fighting style many are unable to predict what you will do. Throughout the game, whenever a player targets you with an ability, that ability will have a 50% chance of being used on that player instead of you. This ability will not affect the Night Kill.

Active Ability: Motivation
As the second in charge of the Jedi Order you are a resounding figure to Jedi and non-Jedi alike. Every Day Period you may PM me a player name. During the following Night they will either have their Active Abilities blocked, or they will be given an additional use of their Active Abilities. There is a 50% chance of either occurring. This ability will not block or motivate the Night Kill.

Win Condition: All anti-Republic aligned players are eliminated.

We've already had THREE of these, and we're only at Day 2. Don't you think that's an abnormal amount of claims? I think it's definitely a little off.
I'll second this. Too much claiming is what cost town in Aqua/Magma (though in the case of Blakers, it was a good thing he claimed.)
Alright, you guys asked for it.

Mace Windu

Alignment: Republic (Jedi)

Second in charge of the Jedi Order, you brought a small group of Jedi into the Senate Chambers to watch over the preceding after arousing suspicion that the Separatists would attack. Luckily you were right and your Jedi are here to defend the Republic.

Passive Ability: Vaapad Fighter Style
As one of the only known users of this unique fighting style many are unable to predict what you will do. Throughout the game, whenever a player targets you with an ability, that ability will have a 50% chance of being used on that player instead of you. This ability will not affect the Night Kill.

Active Ability: Motivation
As the second in charge of the Jedi Order you are a resounding figure to Jedi and non-Jedi alike. Every Day Period you may PM me a player name. During the following Night they will either have their Active Abilities blocked, or they will be given an additional use of their Active Abilities. There is a 50% chance of either occurring. This ability will not block or motivate the Night Kill.

Win Condition: All anti-Republic aligned players are eliminated.
What was your target?
To me, this role looks like the classic percent safeclaim. In this case, he's really just a rolebock, but targets good players with power roles to "buff' them.
In what way am I trying to minimize the amount of conversation with my actions? Presenting evidence against another player based on roles is a decent part of how the game works.
@Blakers Please respond to this.

I think the thing with today is that there isn't really evidence to prove Rainy isn't anti-town and Rainy isn't defending himself at all, so there isn't much to talk about.

I find it odd that he phrased it this way, instead of trying to promote conversation. He didn't even ask for anybody's reads, which is something he did a lot earlier on.

That claim looks decently sound to me. Again, the only question I have is whether Blakers blocked rainy D1. If that's not the case then Rainy is best lynch candidate I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back