• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Tyranitar EX / Golbat

UKmon

Aspiring Trainer
Hey peeps!

I've begun a "project" to prove to all the guys at my local game shop that Mega Tyranitar is a viable deck to play! Here's my first draft, and I'm looking for any and all suggestions on how to improve its speed and consistency!

Pokémon: 19

• 3 Tyranitar-EX (AOR 42)
  • 3 M Tyranitar-EX (AOR 43)
  • 4 Zubat (PHF 31)
  • 4 Golbat (PHF 32)
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
  • 2 Hoopa-EX (AOR 36)
  • 1 Bunnelby (PRC 121)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 30
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 4 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 2 Trainer's Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 4 Muscle Band
  • 3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
Energy: 11
  • 4 Double Colourless Energy
  • 7 Darkness Energy
Strategy:

As mentioned earlier, any and all help/advice/criticism is greatly appreciated!

GG peeps,

UKmon

If you want to make this deck work. You need to make it more consistent and faster.

-1 Hoopa EX
More than one is a little too much. Even if one is prized it's not a huge loss. It helps but not so much that you need 2.
-2 Muscle bands
All you need is damage counters on them and basically everything gets knocked out by Ttar
+3 Magma stadium.
I think it's the stadium that puts 2 damage counters in all basics put into play that aren't magma. This gets those damage counters out you need to 1 shot things with Ttar.
-1-1 golbat
With the stadium you don't need 4-4. Could even run 2-2.
-1 Bunnelby
You should be focused on setting up rather than recovering cards or milling.
+3 Yveltal XY
Energy acceleration and it does 30 damage which is perfect math for Ttar's attack.
-2 Muscle bands (the last 2)
+2 battle compressors
Discard supporters and energy to accelerate with mega turbo.

Those are my suggestions. But I think testing would be required.

Last edited:
I agree with you, M Tyranitar EX is viable for play. I've done well so far with it at League and League challenges (1st and 3rd so far).

I recommend running Dangerous Energy. I can't tell you how many times this has saved me. Placing 2 damage counters on an attacking EX Pokemon leaves them open to an immediate 1-shot on your turn. I also recommend dropping the muscle bands. While it is good to knock out some 120/130 HP stage 2 Pokemon, it really isn't worth it. I personally run Hard Charms. I also would run some super scoop ups, if not for the bats then for Shaymin EX.

Before I go too far into detail, here's a list of all the changes I would recommend:
-2 Hoopa EX (Not really necessary, you have limited bench space)
-1 DCE (4 is a bit much, especially with the Mega turbos)
-2 Dark Energy (Supplemented by Dangerous Energy)
-1 Bunnelby (Not really useful once you're set up)
-1 Zubat (Bench space)
-1 Golbat (Bench space)
-1 Mega Turbo (I'd say 4 is one too many, they can just jam up your hand sometimes)
-1 Sycamore (I've noticed decking out is a real problem sometimes with Shaymin and scoops)
-1 Sacred Ash (Again, not useful)
-4 Muscle Band
-1/0 Ultra Ball*

+3 Hard Charm (or Weakness Policy, if you don't want to run a stadium)
+3 Dangerous Energy
+3 Super Scoops Ups
+2 Battle Compressor (Get some Dark Energy in the discard)
+1/2 Pokemon Fan Club (Get your Ttars and Shaymins/Zubats)
+3 Shadow Circle

*Removing a Ultra Ball in favor of an extra Fan Club is a real toss up. It may not work as well in your deck as mine.

I would probably keep 3 ultra balls for shaymin. It helps you discard cards you don't need. So you can draw more

Honestly dude, I would try it with Team Magma's secret base and Fortress instead. Fortress saves you a lot of deck room compared to your bulky bat line up, and you can still get two damage counters on everything really easy with base and a single fortress. That's all you need to KO everything in format pretty much.

Pokémon: 15
  • 3 Tyranitar-EX (AOR 42)
  • 3 M Tyranitar-EX (AOR 43)
  • 3 Pineco
  • 3 Fortress
  • 2 Shaymin-EX (ROS 106)
  • 1 Hoopa-EX (AOR 36)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 35
  • 4 Mega Turbo
  • 1 Sacred Ash
  • 3 Trainer's Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 2 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 1 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Hard charm
  • 3 Tyranitar Spirit Link
  • 4 Team Magmas secret base
Energy: 11
  • 3 Double Colourless Energy
  • 8 Darkness Energy

I think this is a reasonable variant you might want to try testing.

For a few weeks now, I've only played Ttar-Bats with Yveltal. My concern with the Fortress variation has been that one could easily fall behind in the prize count without a solid starter, for example Yveltal in my case. Secondly, should you become Item-locked, there is no energy attachment acceleration in the particular variation. I'd suggest the following for your consideration to help mitigate certain, inherent risks:

-1 Pineco
-1 Fortress
-2 Team Magma's Secret Base

+2 Yveltal
+2 Forrest of Giant Plants - to help accelerate Fortress into play and/or replace the TMSB Stadium (damages your M Ttars too) when no longer needed

Back