• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Rayquaza-EX / Zoroark / Raichu (2017)

ProZlockie

Meow? Meow.
Pokemon: 16
3 Rayquaza-EX (ROS 76)
3 M Rayquaza-EX (ROS 77)
4 Shaymin-EX (ROS 78)
2 Hoopa-EX (AOR 36)
2 Pikachu (GEN 26)
2 Raichu (GEN 27)
2 Zorua (BKT 89)
2 Zoroark (BKT 91)

Trainers: 36
3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
2 Lysandre
1 Pokemon Ranger
1 Skyla
1 Ninja Boy
1 Hex Maniac
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Float Stone
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Mega Turbo
2 Super Rod
4 Sky Field

Energy: 8
4 Double Colorless Energy
4 Basic Energy

Hello all! I've been a M Rayquaza-EX player since Roaring Skies came out, but have been having troubles with what to do with it for post-rotation. This is what I've come up with so far. Any input is appreciated.

The main goal of the deck is to fill up your bench to somewhere between six and eight (thanks to Sky Field) Pokemon, then start attacking with M Rayquaza-EX. Raichu is added as a back-up / non -EX attacker that takes advantage of Sky Field as well. Zoroark is added as another back-up / non -EX attacker to help against those that load their bench, as well as a pivot Pokemon to switch freely between attackers.

Problems: Garbodor, Vileplume

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am running 4 basic energy as well. Maybe we might have to add more post-rotation. It was so easy to battle compressor a few energy for mega turboing them to Mega Ray.
That's the problem. We'll need to use at least some ultra balls or sycamore to discard them. I'm trying with 7 but it seems to be too many.

That's the problem. We'll need to use at least some ultra balls or sycamore to discard them. I'm trying with 7 but it seems to be too many.
Well in most builds, I assume they are already using 4 ultra ball and 4 sycamore. I would say boost it up at least 1-2 basic energy for a total of 5-6. If 7 is too many then just cut it down a bit.

3 Rayquaza-EX (ROS 76)
3 M Rayquaza-EX (ROS 77)
4 Shaymin-EX (ROS 78)
2 Hoopa-EX
2 Pikachu (GEN 26)
2 Raichu (GEN 27)
2 Zorua (BKT 89)
2 Zoroark (BKT 91

3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
2 Lysandre
2 Pokemon Ranger
1 Ninja Boy
1 Hex Maniac
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Float Stone
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Mega Turbo
2 Super Rod
4 Sky Field

4 Basic Energy

Hello all! I've been a M Rayquaza-EX player since Roaring Skies came out, but have been having troubles with what to do with it for post-rotation. This is what I've come up with so far. Any input is appreciated.

The main goal of the deck is to fill up your bench to somewhere between six and eight (thanks to Sky Field) Pokemon, then start attacking with M Rayquaza-EX. Raichu is added as a back-up / non -EX attacker that takes advantage of Sky Field as well. Zoroark is added as another back-up / non -EX attacker to help against those that load their bench, as well as a pivot Pokemon to switch freely between attackers.

Thanks!
I am currently using the same deck , I would recommend running 1-1 Zoroark line (or maybe even removing it in favor of another Raichu), cutting down the Shaymin to 2 or 3 (not that many Pokémon needed), adding 1 more N, 1 more Sycamore, and having at least 6 basic energy. Hope this helped

Sorry, but how is Garbodor a weakness to this deck? Most Mega Ray players usually want to spam Hex Maniac every turn after they have Setup.

3 Rayquaza-EX (ROS 76)
3 M Rayquaza-EX (ROS 77)
4 Shaymin-EX (ROS 78)
2 Hoopa-EX
2 Pikachu (GEN 26)
2 Raichu (GEN 27)
2 Zorua (BKT 89)
2 Zoroark (BKT 91

3 Professor Sycamore
1 N
2 Lysandre
2 Pokemon Ranger
1 Ninja Boy
1 Hex Maniac
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
2 Float Stone
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link
4 Trainers' Mail
3 Mega Turbo
2 Super Rod
4 Sky Field

4 Basic Energy

Thanks!
-1 Pokemon Ranger
+1 Skyla

Skyla can help you get spirit links and an ultra ball if you don't get one early enough for party starter. (Hoopa EX)

I believe you can just run 1 Ranger. Maybe even try to find the room for running 2 Skyla.

Sorry, but how is Garbodor a weakness to this deck? Most Mega Ray players usually want to spam Hex Maniac every turn after they have Setup.

In case if I go second and can't get set up via Hoopa-EX/Shaymin-EX. I then find myself having a somewhat difficult time getting going after that. Also, I didn't say it was a huge weakness, but it can for sure hinder the deck to a somewhat large extent if I don't set up in 1-2 turns (or zero, if they go first and Wally into it. I really hope that doesn't become a thing.)

It works good with only 4 basic energies?

It works pretty well for me, although I need test it much more. Having one or two more would be more ideal.

How consistent is Pikachu/ Raichu? I am curious to add them to my build.

I have been getting at least one Raichu out consistently per game since I started playing with this version.

I am currently using the same deck , I would recommend running 1-1 Zoroark line (or maybe even removing it in favor of another Raichu), cutting down the Shaymin to 2 or 3 (not that many Pokémon needed), adding 1 more N, 1 more Sycamore, and having at least 6 basic energy. Hope this helped

The only reason I have a 2-2 is for the better chance of having it out in case of the mirror, although I've used a 1-1 and it's worked fine. That might be where the extra energy go in. However, with the section that I have in bold is where I disagree. My reasoning for having a higher amount of Pokemon is for Parallel City. Since Sacred Ash is gone after rotation, there is no one card that gets back 5 mons at once. Yes, Super Rod is an option, but that at maximum (assuming I play the two I currently have listed at some point in a game) is 6 cards. Otherwise, I found your suggestions helpful!

-1 Pokemon Ranger
+1 Skyla

Skyla can help you get spirit links and an ultra ball if you don't get one early enough for party starter. (Hoopa EX)

I believe you can just run 1 Ranger. Maybe even try to find the room for running 2 Skyla.

Skyla was somewhere in the 61st-63rd card range when I made this, along with more energy. But I do believe you are correct with that I can get away with 1 Pokemon Ranger, it all depends if things like Giratina-EX, Regice, and maybe Glaceon-EX are popular (which I think at least Giratina-EX and Regice will be).

I thank everyone for helping! But there is a question. What type of Energy would you all suggest using?

I thank everyone for helping! But there is a question. What type of Energy would you all suggest using?
Well I was running lightning since I was running 2 Jolteon EX but I was thinking about taking them out for Raichu.
I will test this against my girlfriend and see how it does.
You could also add a Manaphy EX along with water energy. Free Retreat instead of Zoroark but you can add Glaceon EX as an attacker as well.
There is so much we can do with Mega Ray. Mega Ray = bae.

Well I was running lightning since I was running 2 Jolteon EX but I was thinking about taking them out for Raichu.
I will test this against my girlfriend and see how it does.
You could also add a Manaphy EX along with water energy. Free Retreat instead of Zoroark but you can add Glaceon EX as an attacker as well.
There is so much we can do with Mega Ray. Mega Ray = bae.

I too ran/run Jolteon-Ex. However, without Night March in Standard, I really see no need for it in the deck. The Manaphy-EX / Glaceon-EX version might be something to test out at some point.

I'm trying with fire energies + Reshiram RoS #63. And with Dragon Rayquazas obviously. If I can go with Reshiram in first turn as active pokémon, I can charge it with a DCE and a fire energy from my hand without a Mega Turbo, and after change it with Ninja Boy (or using Change with a benched and charged Rayquaza). With this, my probabilities of attack in turn 1 rises (The strategy of my deck)

I would recommend Psychic energy since u run Hoopa. In case you don't get your float stones and Hoopa is brought into the active position (using Lysandre or other means) you discard a DCE. I like using the psychic so that Hoopa has at least some means of attacking.

Last edited:
I use an EX only version since hoopa is such big thing in this deck. The evolution lines take up too much space and I would rather use the resources on mray

The new rotation loses three things that used to stop M Ray. Damage protection. Thanks to Pokèmon Ranger, Regice and Glaceon can be hit by M Ray. Then the ability protection from stuff like Carbink and Giritina is removed by Hex. Second, tool discarding will be non existent in the new format. That allows your float stones to hang around and the opponent can't Lysandre Hoopa to buy time. Zoroark does let M Ray get free switching, but in a one turn set up deck, evolution can be a pain. The last thing is special energy. Jirachi can stall with stardust and discard your DCE, but thanks to the rotation of Night March, Jirachi will be less used and remain in the binder.

I have been up against M Ray and your first turn is the key. Going second is going to be a lot safer without much item lock. Getting first turn knock outs puts the pressure on the opponent giving them little time to power up a Pokemon. M Ray could now be the fastest deck in format.

I'm trying with fire energies + Reshiram RoS #63. And with Dragon Rayquazas obviously. If I can go with Reshiram in first turn as active pokémon, I can charge it with a DCE and a fire energy from my hand without a Mega Turbo, and after change it with Ninja Boy (or using Change with a benched and charged Rayquaza). With this, my probabilities of attack in turn 1 rises (The strategy of my deck)
How many Reshiram do you recommend? I just want to try this out.

I'm trying with 2 and works fine. You could try with a third but the spaces on this deck to trainers are reduced, and every card less is a sacrifice
Thank you. I am just going to keep experimenting with different builds until I can find one in which I feel comfortable with. I am definitely going to miss Battle Compressors though. I loved having Battle Compressors along with Vs Seeker and 2 Puzzles of Time. I couldn't help but grin, lol.

Thank you. I am just going to keep experimenting with different builds until I can find one in which I feel comfortable with. I am definitely going to miss Battle Compressors though. I loved having Battle Compressors along with Vs Seeker and 2 Puzzles of Time. I couldn't help but grin, lol.
Same here, I'll keep trying with different combinations. When I found the chosen one, I'll post it here

Back