• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Rayquaza and Hoopa

Swampert Fan 101

I liek Swampertz
Hello!
I recently started building this deck and needed some advice on it. All and any suggestions will be welcome :)

Pokemon:14
  • 3 Rayquaza EX (XY 66)
  • 2 M Rayquaza EX (ROS 76)
  • 3 Swablu (ROS 73)
  • 2 Altaria (XY 46)
  • 2 Hoopa EX (XY 71)
  • 2 Shaymin EX (ROS 77)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 28
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Brigette
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 Winona
  • 1 Repeat Ball
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Switch
  • 1 Trainers' Mail
  • 1 Professor's Letter
  • 2 Sky Field
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Rayquaza Sprit Link
  • 2 N
Energy: 18
  • 14 Psychic Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:
The strategy is to get Hoopa EX by the first or second turn (using search cards), then using Hoopa's ability to get Rayquaza EX, M Rayquaza EX, and any other EX necessary. Also, Altaria is needed so that M Rayquaza has now weakness. With Sky Field, M Rayquaza's Emerald Break hits for 240 damage, finishing off any Pokemon.

Other:
First Turn - By the end of my first turn, I usually have 1 M Rayquaza, 1 Hoopa, 1 Rayquaza, and 1 Altaria

Thanks for reading and good luck playing ;)
-Swampert Fan 101

This is a good start but a few recommendations. First you need to add at least one to two support pokemon in case Rayquaza takes the KO. The most ideal pokemon for this particular build is probably something like Lugia EX (AOR) or at least one or two Bronzong lines. The idea is that instead of running psychic energy use steel and then you can build your bench with Bronzong (PHF) and whatever else you want while attaching around 3 energy per turn as well as building up Multiple threats for your opponent to deal with. Actually in the current meta, Genesect isn't a bad choice either apparently. For the sake of your deck tho I would do the following:

-14 psychic
-1 Hoopa EX
-1 Swablu
-Brigette
-professors letter
-1 Sycamore
-2 switch
-repeat ball
+9 steel
+2 bronzor
+2 bronzong (PHF)
+3 trainers mail
+2 float stone
+3 vs seeker
+ Lugia EX (AOR)

If you don't like the speed of the setup you can always add in some heavy balls or wally.

General:

I think the first question you should ask yourself is what type of Mega-ray deck you are going to build, a colorless speed-deck, or a slower but less risky metal variant?
Personally, I have always seen Mega Rayquaza as a type of deck that is about killing your counters before they have a chance to setup and kill you.
With that said, I personally would reduce the Altaria line to a 2-2 or even a 1-1. if they Lysandre it out and kill it, you can lysandre a counter/kill next turn, getting a more favourable exchange.

I would also add another Mega rayquaza if possible, 3 is a barebones minimum in my opinion.
A 4th rayquaza ex is also possible if you like that, you could perhaps consider a dragon rayquaza instead of the colorless one, so you can cancel out weakness while setting up.
I would also grab a 3rd shaymin.

- 1 altaria
- 1/2 swablu

+ 1 mega rayquaza
+ 0 / 1 rayquaza ex ( colorless or dragon)
+ 1 shaymin ex

If going metal variant:

Metal variant of rayquaza is slower, but in my opinion more reliable in the long run.
Metal ray loves bronzor en bronzong, if going this rate add a 3-2 line or at least a 2-2 line.
Playing metal also comes with the benefit of being able to take advantage of Aegislash ex.
It can block nightmarchers and other special energy users, while you can also charge it up and attack with it if needed.
I personally would add 1-2 of them.

Besides safeguard Carbink and big lightning damage, regice is a pain for ex decks.
You can either rely on killing regice before it is powered up, or kill it with bronzong, but you could include 1 steel heatran. you can charge it up in 2 turns, and with a skyfield in play it one-shots regice. Considering it has 130 hp it won't get revenge killed as easily as bronzong would.

In metal I would get rid of the entire altaria line myself, to avoid clutter.

Naturally, besides DCE, metal ray needs metal energy to take advantage of bronzong.
Cut the 14 psychic energy, and add 4-6 metal, depending on what amount you feel confident with.

Combined with some other recommendations:

- 14 psychic energy
- 1 brigette
- 1 repeat ball
- 1 professors letter
- 2 switch
- 3 mega turbo
- 2 winona
- 3 swablu
-2 altaria

+ 1 Shaymin ex
+ 1 Heatran
+ 1 mega rayquaza
+ 1 Aegislash ex
+ 2-3 bronzor
+ 2 bronzong
+ 1 rayquaza spirit link
+ 4- 6 metal energy
+ 2 skyfield
+ 2 trainers mail
+ 2 float stone
+ 4 vs seeker
+ 1 pokemon fanclub ( can grab a hoopa/shaymin + w/e you need at that point)
+ 1 hex maniac ( anti safeguard/disrupt shaymin/garbo/etc)

Example list:

Pokémon - 18
3 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75
3 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76
3 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
1 Aegislash-EX PHF 65
3 Bronzor PHF 60
2 Bronzong PHF 61
1 Heatran PHF 63
2 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
Trainer Cards - 32
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 106
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link ROS 87
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
2 Lysandre FLF 90
1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Winona ROS 96
2 N NVI 101
4 Sky Field ROS 89
2 Float Stone BKT 137
4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
Energy - 10
4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
6 Metal Energy Energy 8
Total Cards - 60

Last edited:
General:

I think the first question you should ask yourself is what type of Mega-ray deck you are going to build, a colorless speed-deck, or a slower but less risky metal variant?
Personally, I have always seen Mega Rayquaza as a type of deck that is about killing your counters before they have a chance to setup and kill you.
With that said, I personally would reduce the Altaria line to a 2-2 or even a 1-1. if they Lysandre it out and kill it, you can lysandre a counter/kill next turn, getting a more favourable exchange.

I would also add another Mega rayquaza if possible, 3 is a barebones minimum in my opinion.
A 4th rayquaza ex is also possible if you like that, you could perhaps consider a dragon rayquaza instead of the colorless one, so you can cancel out weakness while setting up.
I would also grab a 3rd shaymin.

- 1 altaria
- 1/2 swablu

+ 1 mega rayquaza
+ 0 / 1 rayquaza ex ( colorless or dragon)
+ 1 shaymin ex

If going metal variant:

Metal variant of rayquaza is slower, but in my opinion more reliable in the long run.
Metal ray loves bronzor en bronzong, if going this rate add a 3-2 line or at least a 2-2 line.
Playing metal also comes with the benefit of being able to take advantage of Aegislash ex.
It can block nightmarchers and other special energy users, while you can also charge it up and attack with it if needed.
I personally would add 1-2 of them.

Besides safeguard Carbink and big lightning damage, regice is a pain for ex decks.
You can either rely on killing regice before it is powered up, or kill it with bronzong, but you could include 1 steel heatran. you can charge it up in 2 turns, and with a skyfield in play it one-shots regice. Considering it has 130 hp it won't get revenge killed as easily as bronzong would.

In metal I would get rid of the entire altaria line myself, to avoid clutter.

Naturally, besides DCE, metal ray needs metal energy to take advantage of bronzong.
Cut the 14 psychic energy, and add 4-6 metal, depending on what amount you feel confident with.

Combined with some other recommendations:

- 14 psychic energy
- 1 brigette
- 1 repeat ball
- 1 professors letter
- 2 switch
- 3 mega turbo
- 2 winona
- 3 swablu
-2 altaria

+ 1 Shaymin ex
+ 1 Heatran
+ 1 mega rayquaza
+ 1 Aegislash ex
+ 2-3 bronzor
+ 2 bronzong
+ 1 rayquaza spirit link
+ 4- 6 metal energy
+ 2 skyfield
+ 2 trainers mail
+ 2 float stone
+ 4 vs seeker
+ 1 pokemon fanclub ( can grab a hoopa/shaymin + w/e you need at that point)
+ 1 hex maniac ( anti safeguard/disrupt shaymin/garbo/etc)

Example list:

Pokémon - 18
3 Rayquaza-EX ROS 75
3 M Rayquaza-EX ROS 76
3 Shaymin-EX ROS 106
1 Aegislash-EX PHF 65
3 Bronzor PHF 60
2 Bronzong PHF 61
1 Heatran PHF 63
2 Hoopa-EX AOR 36
Trainer Cards - 32
3 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
1 Hex Maniac AOR 75
1 Pokémon Fan Club FLF 106
3 Rayquaza Spirit Link ROS 87
4 Ultra Ball DEX 102
2 Lysandre FLF 90
1 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
1 Winona ROS 96
2 N NVI 101
4 Sky Field ROS 89
2 Float Stone BKT 137
4 Professor Sycamore XY 122
4 VS Seeker PHF 109
Energy - 10
4 Double Colorless Energy NXD 92
6 Metal Energy Energy 8
Total Cards - 60
Thanks for the advice :) I do like the suggestions you gave me, however I still do feel I need at least a 1-1 Altaria Line. Electric Decks are quite common in the current metagame, and I do feel altaria will help me.

Back