• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Mewtwo-EX / Zoroark

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
Zoroark/M Mewtwo-EX (Y)/ Yveltal

Quick Explanation: Hey guys! Gabking5458 here, I am going to be competing in a few state championships and decided to try to find a deck that can beat most meta decks. Although there are many of these decks and this one may not seem like the best play for states, I hope I can alter your stance on this deck’s viability. One thing about me, I love control decks such as : M Mewtwo-EX, Primal Groudon-EX, and M Gardevoir-EX. When testing I originally liked the idea of Garchomp/Garbodor, but when I was brainstorming for the deck and thinking about adding a 2-2 line of Zoroark and dropping the 2-2 Garbodor; I thought of other ways I could possibly use Zoroark as it counters Trevenant Break pretty well and I hate stall. The two decks that came to mind instantly were YGZ and Zoroark/M Mewtwo-EX. YGZ seemed like a good play, but I was scared of the autoloss against Greninja Break and didn’t like its M Manectric-EX /Jolteon-EX matchup. I then decided to test out M Mewtwo-EX/ Zoroark as a possible rogue deck. The deck seemed to actually have great matchups across the board at first. After much play testing my hopes for this deck were confirmed, except for one deck, Garchomp. I soon discovered that this deck has an autoloss against Garchomp, with Focus Sash being so pesky. I do not believe that this deck will be that viable however because of all the Greninja Break, Trevenant Break, and YGZ. Criticisms are much appreciated. Thanks and have a great day! :)

DECKLIST:

Pokemon (18):
  • 3 Mewtwo-EX (Photon Wave) BKT
  • 3 M Mewtwo-EX (Psychic Infinity) BKT
  • 3 Zorua (Moonless Madness) BKT
  • 3 Zoroark BKT
  • 2 Shaymin-EX ROS
  • 3 Yveltal XY Base Set
  • 1 Jirachi XY67 Promo (Stardust)
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (31):
  • 3 Trainer’s Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 Mega Turbo
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Enhanced Hammer
  • 4 VS Seeker
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 1 Judge
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Shadow Circle
Energy (11):
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 7 Darkness Energy
Strategy:

Pokémon:
This is pretty standard Zoroark/M Mewtwo-EX. The only difference in my list compared to other lists is that I include 3 Baby Yveltal. The main reason for this is Night March. As most competitive M Mewtwo-EX players know Night March is a Nightmare. What 2 cards does Night March hate? Baby Yveltal and Jirachi, I run both. The second reason Baby Yveltal is these is to make the Garchomp matchup a possibility of winning. Garchomp has a really tough time OHKOing Baby Yveltal, which allows Yveltal to break the Garchomp’s Focus Sash with Oblivion Wing and then retaliate next turn and kill the Garchomp. The third reason is Trevenant Break, This thing just… wins. It takes them 3 hits to kill you when you can just Oblivion Wing and Darkness Blade and OHKO them making the matchup actually quite favorable. The last reason is for energy acceleration. Between Mega Turbo and Oblivion Wing you can capitalize on a misplay or on a missed opportunity and punish them for it by setting up your own M Mewtwo-EXs. The second abnormal Pokémon is Jirachi. Well played in around 40% of M Mewtwo/Zoroark decks Jirachi has a very solid place in this deck for two matchups: Garchomp, and Night March. The main reason this is in here is once again Night March. Because of Night March/ Bronzong not being a thing anymore, people have started to play Night March/Milotic or Night March/ Vespiquen. Jirachi is fantastic in this matchup. On average Night March/Milotic and Night March/Vespiquen gets around 6 DCE out per game. That’s 6 attackers, which for most big basics would be a nightmare but since this deck plays 3-3 Zoroark and 3 Baby Yveltal which can trade prizes easily with them is great. Also if you add in Jirachi they get on average only approximately 4 attackers. This is problem for them when you can trade prizes because they take 4 prizes and then can’t attack and you just win from there. Now lets move on to the Trainer Cards.

Trainers:
Ok this is where the decklist gets pretty weird. You may be asking, “Why does this build look like a Maxie’s Build?” The answer to that is very simple to make this deck as consistent as possible. This is because Mega Decks have a nasty pattern of being inconsistent especially control versions of mega decks. The next questionable item on this decklist is the 2 enhanced hammers. They are there to beat 3 decks, Night March variants, Garchomp variants, and YGZ. Well we have Jirachi, why not just deny special energy almost completely? The 2 copies of this card slow your opponent down a very large amount which allows you to keep up with them and most of the time win. The last card in question on this list is Shadow Circle. Why not Parallel City or Reverse Valley? Pretty easy answer actually, the weaknesses can cripple this deck. The two Shadow Circle help with that a lot especially in the Night March Matchup. Most of the time the Night March player will discard Pumpkaboos once they see Dark, they will most of the time still have 1-2 Pumpkaboos left though by the time they see your M Mewtwo-EX so Shadow Circle eliminates M Mewtwo’s weakness and counters the Dimension Valley Stadium. Now lets move on to the energy.

Energy:
Self explanatory there is no need for less or more energy. This amount works perfectly.

MATCHUPS:

GOOD MATCHUPS:

• Darkrai-EX/Hypno 95/5
  • YGZ 80/20
  • Trevenant BREAK 75/25
  • Manectric-EX/Bats 70/30
  • Lucario-EX/Bats 70/30
  • Night March 60/40
  • Night March/Vespiquen 55/45
  • Greninja Break 55/45

These matchups are the reason I chose the deck. It just beats everything I hate playing. Darkrai-EX/Hypno is 95/5 for obvious reasons. You OHKO Darkrai a lot of the time and they can’t OHKO you back. The only way to really lose this matchup is really bad dead draw. YGZ is a good matchup because you can set up M Mewtwo-EXs, They also have a very hard time OHKOing M Mewtwo-EX but can 2HKO it quite easily. You normally can take 4 Prizes with a M Mewtwo and clean up from there. Trevenant BREAK is an autowin if you get at least 1 turn of items, otherwise it goes down to 50/50 if they get first turn Wally’s Trevenant, going first is imperative in this matchup. Manectric-EX/Bats and Lucario-EX/Bats are good for the exact same reason, Zoroark. It just… kills this deck. Zoroark is doing 160 75% of the time and then they can be OHKO’d by baby Yveltal after. M Mewtwo is also super hard for them to take down, so it trades prizes well. If you dead draw against these decks though you lose, it is extremely hard to come back so as long as you draw normally you should be able to win pretty easily. Night March variants are pretty similar in the way they play. Don’t every play your M Mewtwo-EXs until 3 Pumpkaboo are gone. You can just trade prizes with them by using Zoroark and Yveltal. Enhanced Hammer and Jirachi can help snipe DCE on the bench is you miss an OHKO or can stall if they miss a Dimension valley and you can’t OHKO Pumpkaboo or Vespiquen. Greninja BREAK is a tricky matchup. It all depends if you get a good start or not. You will win most of the time because of the ease of achieving an OHKO on them, but the main problem is Octillery. If you can eliminate it early game you can win 90% of the time. It cuts off their water energy for a little while and lets you go up in prizes which can be very useful late game. Greninja BREAK is extremely explosive late game so the ability to cut off draw support early is crippling and can sometimes snag the win.

BAD MATCHUPS:

• M Manectric-EX/Jolteon-EX 45/55
  • M Manectric-EX/Regice 30/70
  • Garchomp 20/80

Now lets go into not so good matchups. M Mantectric EX/Jolteon isn’t really that bad but Rough Seas is very annoying and its really hard to OHKO M Manectric-EX its very winnable though, if you can get a M Mewtwo-EX set up quickly. M Manectric-EX Regice is a different story. If they get Regice out early its going to get … interesting. You will normally go up 2 prizes left to 3 prizes left by the time get one or two out but then you need Lysandre fast. If you can’t get it its game over because once your M Mewtwo-EXs are gone nothing can OHKO the Shaymin-EXs on the bench; except for sometimes Zoroark but they’ll keep that from happening. Lastly there’s Garchomp; I’ve been avoiding talking about this deplorable Matchups until the end but I guess I have to now. The only way to win is through Baby Yveltal. You have to break the Focus Sash and then kill with Zoroark. M Mewtwo-EX is reserved for late game. It can be great late game if their focus sashes are gone and can’t OHKO you but that rarely happens. This matchup is as bad for you as Seismitoad-EX/Bats is for Night March.

Thanks for reading! Please leave your recommendations for the deck down below thanks!!! :)

Back