• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Mewtwo EX / Metal (Metallicat)

Gabking5458

2016 MA TCG Senior Division Regional Champion!
Hey guys and gals! I was looking for any input that could help this deck. I've found this deck is very consistent and can deal with a lot of different matchups. It's pretty much 50/50 with all of the metagame but here are some good and bad matchups. Anyway to improve the bad matchups would be much appreciated! Thank you :)

Basic Strategy:
Use Bronzong's Metal Links ability to speed up Mega Mewtwo-EX's attack Psychic Infinity and deal out a ton of damage very quickly as well as setting up other Mega Mewtwo-EXs on the bench.

Without further ado here's the deck list:

Pokemon (17):
  • 3 Mewtwo-EX (Photon Wave) BKT
  • 3 Mega Mewtwo-EX (Psychic Infinity) BKT
  • 3 Bronzor PHF
  • 3 Bronzong PHF
  • 1 Hoopa-EX AOR
  • 2 Shaymin-EX ROS
  • 2 Aegislash-EX PHF
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums (32):
  • 2 Battle Compressor
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Mewtwo Spirit Link
  • 1 Startling Megaphone
  • 3 Trainers' Mail
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 3 VS Seeker
  • 1 AZ
  • 2 Giovanni's Scheme
  • 1 Hex Maniac
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 1 Parallel City
Energy (11):
  • 7 Metal Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
Strategy:

The Pokemon are pretty standard for a Mega Mewtwo (Y)/Metal Deck. The only change is I don't run Heatran. After many many times play testing I have found that Hex maniac, VS Seeker and Lysandre are sufficient against decks such as Giratina/Fairy or Giratina/Reshiram. Also Regice can be dealt with Bronzong (This actually happened in top 4 with this deck and I killed two regimes with a bronzong). So I don't feel Heatran is that necessary. The reason I subbed out my Heatran for a second Aegislash-EX is purely because of Night March, Toad and Vespiquen when play testing. I was playing Fairy/ M Mewtwo-EX over Metal/M Mewtwo-EX because it is very hard to stop when set up. I now play Metal because I feel it is faster and Aegislash-EX makes Night March not an auto-loss and in some cases a good one. Bronzong, Shaymin-EX and Hoopa-EX are there for obvious reasons.

The Items are again pretty standard. 2 Battle Compressors, to get Metal Energy in the discard. 2 Float Stones for Bronzong, Aegislash-EX, Hoopa-EX Etc... 2 Level Balls, to get out Bronzors and Bronzongs. 3 Mewtwo Spirit Links; because I have 3 Mega Mewtwo EXs. 1 Startling Megaphone, disruptive and can get rid of annoying tools such as Muscle Band, Spirit Links, and most importantly Focus Sash. 3 Trainer's Mails, I personally think almost every deck should run this card its just so good; it also improves the consistency of this deck. 3 Ultra Balls, standard must I say anything else? 3 VS Seekers, I had 4 in this deck but subbed one out for a Startling Megaphone.

Supporters: Okay this is where my deceits gets a little weird. Only 6 dedicated Draw Supporters? Well technically 8 Draw Supporters. It took me so much play testing to finally figure out supporters. I did play 4 Birch 4 Sycamore but I soon realized how many KO's Mega Mewtwo-EX Missed out on. I didn't want to add muscle band and didn't want to take away from my supporter count so I went with Giovanni's Scheme. With a Giovanni's Scheme you can OHKO any EX with 5 combined Energy (Which is very easy to get by at least turn 3) and OHKO anything not named Wailord-EX with 7 combined Energy and a Giovanni's Scheme. I feel that it is monumental in this deck and really help out. The rest is pretty standard except for AZ and Hex Maniac. Hex Maniac can let you hit Giratina and Beautifly (If for some reason it is played competitively). I'll get into why I have AZ later on.

The one Parallel City is purely to counter a Dimension Valley for night march or a Fighting Stadium for Fighting/Bats or whatever.

MATCHUPS:
Now how the deck has been preforming. I am very pleased with this deck as it got me 2nd at the only cities I've been able to attend this year. I also like that it is very consistent, has a bunch of options, and can deal out heavy damage.

Good Matchups:
Fairy (In General) 90/10
Vespiquen (In General) 70/30
Night March (No Bronzong) 75/25
Seismitoad-EX (Because this is metal) 70/30

Now you may be asking me this question, "WHY ARE NIGHT MARCH W/O BRONZONG AND VESPIQUEN GOOD MATCHUPS?!?" So why did I putNight March without Bronzong and Vespiquen as GOOD matchups? Let me explain. When playing with this at the only cities I've been able to attend (Which I placed 2nd in) I went 4-1 against Night March with no Bronzong and 2-0 against Vespiquen. This is because of one card AZ. This deck has a strategy I like to call AZ spam. So the second you see those two decks keep the VS Seekers. If you start with Mewtwo against Night March AZ it up and get the two Aegislash-EX down. Set up 2 Bronzongs as fast as possible. They have a limited amount of times they can attack you with Hex Maniac or Basic Energy. This normally amounts to 3 to 5 times a game. When they get 140 or so damage on your Aegislash-EX you AZ it up and send up the other Aegislash-EX which is now set up thanks to Bronzong. That wastes 1 of their times to attack you. Rinse and repeat until you get rid of all their Basic Energy or Hex Maniac options. Since you have no other pokemon down this forces them to find a way to knock out all Aegislash-EX within appx. 4 attacks. That's a tall order. Also that parallel city? That gets rid of Dimension valley and limits bench space for the night march player which can make it very difficult late game for them. There are still those rare occasions in which you just draw dead or can't get anything going so the 25% can happen. With Vespiquen, yes it is very fast but so is this deck. You can take 2 prizes early game with Mewtwo, then AZ it (and all of its damage) up and send out another Mewtwo or Aegislash-EX. They may take 3 or 4 prizes but you normally win. Seismitoad-EX and Fairy Decks are good matchup for obvious reasons. Toad can't keep up and Fairy is week to metal and way too slow.

Bad Matchups:
Night March (W/ Bronzong) 40/60
Manectric/Bats 45/55 (Not really that bad, but really the only other thing you have to watch out for)

Okay Night March with Bronzong is slightly problematic. This is the only matchup you really don't want to play. I did go 2-0 against it but it wasn't easy. Instead of having 3-5 attacks they normally have 4-7 so Mewtwo-EX with Photon Wave can also be used if needed to kill joltiks. Still not easy to play this matchup. Manectric/Bats isn't necessarily a bad matchup but isn't good either. Its fast and head ringer is annoying and it can kill bronzing easily which can limit your Mewtwos. Get as many Bronzongs into play as possible and you'll probably be fine.

Neutral:
Everything Else

Well everything else is pretty neutral neither bad nor good.

Possible Additions:
+1 AZ (AZ spam as mentioned above)
+1 Heatran (Regice is still annoying but can be dealed with)

If you go this far thank you for reading! Please give your input into what you think would help this deck out!

Thanks once again!

-Gabking5458

Last edited:
First of all,, very nice list. I recently ran my version of this deck (similar to yours, but with a few changes reflective of my area's meta) at a City Championship with lots of Fighting-Bats and Yveltal-Zoroark-Gallade.

Note: M Mewtwo EX's Psychic Infinity attack does not hit for Weakness which is a HUGE disadvantage, IMO. Decks running Gallade or Lucario EX can "easily" 2HKO the Mega Mewtwo EX without an "easy" 1HKO response... advantage: key Fighting, Psychic-weak Pokemon...

Lastly, I run 2 Parallel City which was very, very effective in this deck.

Last edited:
The list is good. My Kiddo beat out a lot of competition with this list. The one thing I would change about it is that I would remove the Ageislash for two Jerichi promos, if you want to really make night march feel threatened spam two of those cards down on your bench. They don't hit as hard but they are better stall cards against the night march deck because hex cannot turn them off. I also might throw in a single muscle band.

Hey thanks poke4trade and TuxedoBlack!

TuxedoBlack: Yes it is a huge disadvantage it does not hit for weakness, and yes that has been a problem. That is why I run 2 Giovanni's Scheme because with 5 energy combined (Normally by turn 2 or 3) I can OHKO a Lucario-EX but I would definitely agree Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade can be a problem and the Fighting/Bats can be annoying. The 2 Aegislash-EX can counter Lucario-EX quite well because in able to 2HKO M Mewtwo-EX It needs Strong energy which Aegislash-EX loves. Also (This happened round 5 and I won 2-1) I found Photon Wave Mewtwo can be a great stall against Lucario until I can set up my bench. Because it does hit for weakness and can slow the deck down which can be great. Though I am considering using the 60 HP Bronzor because of the ability to survive a Crobat and Golbat or a strong energy or muscle band Lucario-EX Missile Jab. Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade was the deck I lost to in the finals (I went 1-1 and then autolossed because I shuffled my hand into my deck when my opponent played trainer's mail and got judge and I thought they played judge.) Is there anything you could recommend to improve this matchup? I will try subbing out a startling Megaphone for a 2nd Parallel city. I could see this helping against Yveltal and friends :) Thanks!

Poke4trade: I do like the idea of including a stardust Jirachi but I respectfully disagree with taking the 2 Aegislash-EX. Aegislash-EX is harder to KO and always has the ability. The problem is Jirachi is bait for Lysandre off the bench and can easily be lysandre'd around. I will test out a Stardust Jirachi in exchange for Aegislash-EX and will report back :) Thanks!

Thanks you too!

-Gabking5458

Hey thanks poke4trade and TuxedoBlack!

Poke4trade: I do like the idea of including a stardust Jirachi but I respectfully disagree with taking the 2 Aegislash-EX. Aegislash-EX is harder to KO and always has the ability. The problem is Jirachi is bait for Lysandre off the bench and can easily be lysandre'd around. I will test out a Stardust Jirachi in exchange for Aegislash-EX and will report back :) Thanks!

-Gabking5458

Give it a try. The lysander really isn't a problem if you play two of them, and you are only giving up a single prize card. With agislash you give up two on a hex. Lucario is pretty easily countered by MewTwo. The other thing you can do with a counter against night march is play a one off of seismitoad.

The worse possible match up, and is one of the reason why my kiddo moved away from the metal build, is Mewtwo with Damage Exchange, that card gives really hard challenges to Zorak deck because it is looping damage back on the opponent and the deck has to build up to the one hit knock out. Currently, his build is a Zorark/Mewtwo EX/ M Mewtwo/Jerachi build. It is also has a counter against garitini builds because garitini taps out at 120 and you just damage exchange it with him. On the next turn, you can us Zorak or Shatter shot to finish him off. But ya, the quickness of the zorak will usually prevail over the metal deck because of speed.

The reason it prevails most of the time is that bronzong is not an attacker, and requires a full bench to setup. Because of this issue, the deck plays right into the hands of Zorak. With the psychic build, the player can establish early pressure with a MewTwo EX or a Zorark based on what the opponent is playing. Once early pressure is established the momentum quickly switches.

Thanks poke4trade!

I meant with Lysandre is your opponent Lysandring up Jirachi from the bench to kill it while Aegislash isn't prone to that. I tried Jirachi with stardust on PTCGO against some friends we've found Stardust Jirachi isn't the best but as you said a 1 of Seismitoad-EX does wonders for the deck. It counters Night March very well. I'm considering subbing out a Aegislash for a Seismitoad. Also Seismitoad works great as an early game set up pokemon to stall out a little bit. The reason I play Metal/Mewtwo-EX is because of Houndoom-EX Mill. The deck is gaining a ton of popularity and Metal can beat it and other decks easily. Also Aegislash counters Giratina well too. The main problem with Jirachi is it makes the fighting/bats matchup much worse. This is mainly because of the bats that can easily kill Jirachi. Also above you said Mewtwo counters Lucario pretty well. That is the case sometimes if I get a good set up but it can be hard otherwise. Aegislash-EX is also nice to have security against other attackers with special energy. I also like a good backup attacker in Aegislash. I am thinking of adding a 1-1 Zoroark line to help with retreating (Even though it's not that big of a problem). I haven't had next to any problems with Damage change Mewtwo. Because it takes me to have 2 energies and a Giovanni's scheme or 3 energies which almost always happens at that time. Overall, the reason I play Metal/Mewtwo instead of Zoroark/Mewtwo/Jirachi is the consistency, the options, and the speed.

Thanks for your input I definitely like Seismitoad-EX and will probably add it! :)

-Gabking5458

Last edited:
Thanks poke4trade and TuxedoBlack! Now I need a way to improve the Yveltal/Zoroark/Gallade Matchup. It would be great if someone could help with this!

Back