• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard M Gyarados EX - Making it Competitive

Djxinator

Aspiring Trainer
First post,

I've recently gotten into PTCG again after a 6 or so year hiatus ("Prime" era)

My favourite Pokemon of all time is Gyarados and it seems I joined at the perfect time to make my dreams a reality, a reasonably competitive Gyarados deck.

I've done some extensive research and I have finally fully completed my deck, based entirely on this deck list (which you may have seen on the interwebs already - I've made no changes to it - thats why I'm here :p)

Pokémon: 19
  • 3 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
  • 3 M Gyarados-EX BKP 27
  • 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
  • 2 Palkia-EX BKP 31
  • 2 Golduck BREAK BKP 18
  • 2 Psyduck BKP 16
  • 2 Golduck BKP 17
  • 2 Regice AOR 24
  • 1 Remoraid BKT 31
  • 1 Octillery BKT 33
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31
  • 2 Rough Seas PRC 137
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations PRC 159
  • 1 Super Rod BKT 149
  • 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
  • 4 Ultra Ball PLB 90
  • 1 Town Map BKT 150
  • 3 Gyarados Spirit Link BKP 101
  • 1 Fighting Fury Belt BKP 99
  • 2 VS Seeker ROS 110
  • 2 Lysandre FLF 104
  • 4 Dive Ball PRC 125
  • 2 Max Potion BKP 103
  • 3 Shauna XY 127
Energy: 10
  • 8 Water Energy
  • 2 Splash Energy
Strateg:

from my little experience it seems the main strats for this deck are to build your Octillery and move straight onto the Golduck Break line to set up the free energy movement.

Once you have a Golduck Break, Octillery and Manaphy out your deck is fully operational and is a bitch to deal with. Palkia is an extremely strong tank due to its higher than average HP (180 vs 170) and its ability to move Energy from the deck to the bench to utilise Golduck's strengths.

Max potions synergise perfectly due to the free energy movement (move energy away from target of potion and then back to avoid having to discard)

Gyarados is obviously the main damage dealer here, 200 damage for a 2 card mil is pretty strong and one shots virtually everything - if you have spare energy you can even freely move them to Gyarados to increase his damage further to deal with Fighting Fury Belts or M Evolution. You can power him up virtually straight away using Golduck break and/or Palkia/Gyarados EX's Stormy Seas. His base forms attack is decent too with use of Rough Seas to offset the bench damage.

Regice deals with the standard EX filled meta - won a few games just because this card exists.

I made some changes to the deck for a local 12 player tournament, I went 12-0 in the tourney.

The deck now looks like this. Its very fast and adding the 4 Trainers Mail allows me to set up so much quicker through Dive Balls and Ultra Balls, as well as securing me a chance for a hand reset despite lowering my overall Supporter based draw power.

Any suggestions?

Pokémon: 19
  • 3 Gyarados-EX BKP 26
  • 3 M Gyarados-EX BKP 27
  • 1 Manaphy-EX BKP 32
  • 2 Palkia-EX BKP 31
  • 2 Golduck BREAK BKP 18
  • 2 Psyduck BKP 16
  • 2 Golduck BKP 17
  • 2 Regice AOR 24
  • 2 Shaymin EX
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 31